PDA

View Full Version : Obama Kills Keystone XL Pipeline

Lucille
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/obama-kills-keystone-xl-pipeline

Who needs actual jobs when you can have crony solar companies which go tits up in under 2 years at a cost to taxpayers of over half a bill...

From the comments (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/obama-kills-keystone-xl-pipeline#comment-2074767), rumor has it he also wants Larry Summers as head of the World Bank. ;P

CJLauderdale4
01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
State Dept shut it down...good job Hillary. Way to join President Downgrade in preventing job creation.

Zippyjuan
01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Says they are basically rejecting the proposed route- not the idea of the pipeline itself- since some don't want it running through their area. I don't think taxpayers should be funding the project. It will create some jobs during the construction of the pipeline and later on truckers who currently haul the oil will lose their jobs so a net gain on jobs is questionable for the cost.

However the administration will allow TransCanada to reapply after it develops an alternate route through the sensitive habitat of Nebraska’s Sandhills. Deputy Secretary of State William J. Burns will make the announcement, which comes in response to a congressionally-mandated deadline of Feb. 21 for action on the proposed Keystone pipeline.

Lucille
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
reason.com/blog/2012/01/18/president-obama-bows-to-special-interest

Proponents of the pipeline point out that the project is shovel-ready and would create 20,000 construction jobs. In addition, the pipeline has passed environmental muster twice already. And the company has agreed to re-site a portion of the pipeline in order to allay exaggerated fears that a leak from it might harm the Ogallala aquifer.

Bailey calls him anti-science (http://reason.com/blog/2012/01/18/president-obama-bows-to-special-interest#comment_2771772). Heh.

Sematary
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
I could be wrong but weren't there a TON of landowners up in arms over this project because the government would have needed to use eminent domain to take their lands to put the pipeline down? I found a bunch of results with this search:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=landowners+protest+xl+pipeline&psj=1&oq=landowners+protest+xl+pipeline&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1871l9005l0l9267l32l30l1l12l0l0l204l2312l5. 10.2l17l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=202c716ad1e48c82&biw=1091&bih=834

Honestly, I side with the land owners on this one. Sure, we could use 20,000 jobs but that's like spitting in the ocean and it would mean stepping on the rights of the property owners to get it done. Not worth it in my opinion.

The Gold Standard
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I could be wrong but weren't there a TON of landowners up in arms over this project because the government would have needed to use eminent domain to take their lands to put the pipeline down? I found a bunch of results with this search:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=landowners+protest+xl+pipeline&psj=1&oq=landowners+protest+xl+pipeline&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1871l9005l0l9267l32l30l1l12l0l0l204l2312l5. 10.2l17l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=202c716ad1e48c82&biw=1091&bih=834

Honestly, I side with the land owners on this one. Sure, we could use 20,000 jobs but that's like spitting in the ocean and it would mean stepping on the rights of the property owners to get it done. Not worth it in my opinion.

Exactly. Seizing private property to benefit a private Canadian company? Emperor Obama is the scum of the earth, but I agree with him killing this.

Sematary
01-18-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't think he did it because it was the right thing to do. I think he did it to satisfy the econuts who were pummeling him on this.

reillym
01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Good, the pipeline wouldn't create any permanent jobs... that's the whole idea of a pipe... it works without people moving stuff.

reillym
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't think he did it because it was the right thing to do. I think he did it to satisfy the econuts who were pummeling him on this.

And 98% of PHD climate scientists who say we need to do something about global climate change.

EvilEngineer
01-18-2012, 06:01 PM
To be fair, much of the pipeline is already done. There is already a Phase 1 & 2 pipeline running from Hardisty in Alberta through North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and ending in Cushing Oklahoma.

Phase 3 of the Keystone XL pipeline from Cushing to Houston & Port Arthur is the next phase.
Phase 4 is the 2nd run of pipeline from Hardisty through Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and meets up with existing junctions from phase 2 in Steele City.

The target production is 1.3 Million barrels a day, which is 3 times as much as currently in production by the phase 1 and 2 pipelines.

Rothbardian Girl
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't support taxpayer-funded business. Thank goodness it got killed, regardless of the motives behind it.

QueenB4Liberty
01-18-2012, 06:07 PM
It would've helped Houston. *shrugs*

I didn't realize they'd have to take people's property to build this though. I don't believe in seizing property for something like this so overall I approve of what Obama did, but like others, I hardly believe his motives were the same as ours.

The Gold Standard
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Oh I know he didn't do it for the right reasons, but I am fine with the result.

Liberty_Mike
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Wow, I never looked into the issue enough in the past to realize that it would require the government to use eminent domain. Definitely glad the plan got turned down if that is the case. You can't use force to confiscate one's property just so you can build a pipeline that will benefit special interests and use tax dollars in the process!

Good, the pipeline wouldn't create any permanent jobs... that's the whole idea of a pipe... it works without people moving stuff.

Well said. No permanent jobs would be created, and who knows how many printed/borrowed/taxed dollars would be needed for the final project.

awake
01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
The oil will get sold. Believe me, if the US wants to make it difficult to ship oil to itself than the product will find its way to other shores. China has its arms wide open.

Zippyjuan
01-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I found it funny that one of the Republican presidential candidates said that not building the pipeline would increase the US dependence on foreign oil. The oil for the pipeline was going to come from our largest foreign source for oil- Canada.

As for China getting the oil, there is a major fight up in Canada over trying to build a pipeline to get the oil to a transport point where it could be shipped to China- and that one is also not likely to get built. At this point in time, the US pipeline is still the more likely of the two- and that isn't saying much.

Kelly.
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
political theater

Lucille
01-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Buffett’s Burlington Northern Among Winners From Keystone Denial (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-23/buffett-s-burlington-northern-among-winners-in-obama-rejection-of-pipeline.html)

I know I'm shocked.