PDA

View Full Version : The Steven Colbert Dilemma

Tyler_Durden
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/Vox-News/2012/0118/Ron-Paul-Are-his-voters-being-stolen-away-by-Stephen-Colbert

Anybody else concerned about Colbert pushing the Cain vote?

It bothers me.....

As Colbert noted on Monday, South Carolina has an open primary, which means you don’t have to be a preregistered Republican to participate in the GOP vote. He said he’s fishing for “independents, Democrats, college kids, viewers of my show, people who attended my rally, my Twitter followers, my good friends on Reddit, young people of the Internet – stand up and shout!”

Doesn’t that list sound like people who are also attracted to Paul? Yes, it does to us, too. Paul won a plurality of 46 percent of voters ages 18 to 29 in New Hampshire, for instance.

thoughtomator
01-18-2012, 11:42 AM
He's really pushing Romney, this is just a slick way of going about it. Ignore him.

Ilhaguru
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
He shouldn't be confusing people. However few, some will end up voting for a man that's not even running anymore.

Babylon
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
He shouldn't be confusing people. However few, some will end up voting for a man that's not even running anymore.

If Ron Paul wins, or if Ron Paul loses, it will not be because of Stephen Colbert.

He's a much-needed Court Jester.

Relax. Enjoy. Laugh.

ElizabethR
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I love the way that Colbert and Stewart are exposing the "non-coordination" of the super-pacs, the unlimited donations to the super-pacs, and just the over-all corruption in the political system. I think Stewart has respect for RP because he knows that RP is honest, even if he disagrees with his opinions. I don't think they'll go after RP any time soon, and maybe not at all, so right now it can only help us.

sailingaway
01-18-2012, 12:24 PM
what will be will be. I don't think Dems voting for Ron are doing it as a prank, and it is a more directed protest than the vagueness of voting for Colbert.

kylejack
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
If Ron Paul wins, or if Ron Paul loses, it will not be because of Stephen Colbert.

Relax. Enjoy. Laugh.
Correct. We're only entitled to the votes we earn, not ones we think we're demographically entitled to.

QWDC
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Worrying about Ron losing a lot of support due to Colbert in SC really makes it appear that RP is a joke candidate. A true candidate with a message that resonant won't lose much of anything for a joke. If those kids vote for Colbert through Cain, they weren't true supporters anyway. It's about the spreading of ideas and convincing them no one but Paul, not trying to use a youth vote who just vote for you for fun and "protest against the man" to get in the white house.

Edward
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Correct. We're only entitled to the votes we earn, not ones we think we're demographically entitled to.

Agreed. This is similar to those who believe that the establishment GOP candidate is entitled to our vote if Paul should decide to run third party.

affa
01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
nah. Colbert won't take a single Ron Paul vote.

Athan
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/Vox-News/2012/0118/Ron-Paul-Are-his-voters-being-stolen-away-by-Stephen-Colbert

Anybody else concerned about Colbert pushing the Cain vote?

It bothers me.....
I'm not concered. The audience that would participate isn't really pro-Ron Paul, they are more anti-Republican. Ron Paul leaning audience would actually vote Ron Paul.

impaleddead
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
HE'S NOT ON THE BALLOT!!! SO WTF why does everyone keep taking the comedian seriously. It's a joke no ones voting for Cain either.

Edward
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
HE'S NOT ON THE BALLOT!!! SO WTF why does everyone keep taking the comedian seriously.

The concern is that by instructing his supporters - who certainly are not in the Romney/Gingrich/Santorum/Perry camp - to vote for Cain, it might take away from those who might normally vote for Ron.

EvilNight
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
This doesn't worry me. Nobody who honestly understands or cares about the issues is going to be confused and pulled away from Ron Paul by Colbert's theatrics.

Colbert is doing all of us in the liberty movement a fine service. The entire point of his SuperPAC and all of its activities is to shed light on the ridiculous and dangerous decision of the Supreme Court to allow corporations unlimited spending on the political process. I don't think anyone here is laboring under the delusion that Stewart/Colbert are anything other than two sides of the same comedy team. This is the kind of discussion they are trying to foment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4fZdrD0eSE

Colbert and Stewart will remain focused on attacking the election process and everyone but Ron until Ron becomes the frontrunner. If we manage to draw genuine attacks from them, then that means we have already won. Until then, sit back and enjoy the SuperPAC expose and 'Mitt the Ripper' shenanigans and don't worry about it.

moonshine5757
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
If someone votes Cain for Stephen Colbert than I wouldn't want them voting for Ron Paul to begin with. Colbert is funny let him makes his jokes.

kpitcher
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd be perfectly happy if the Colbert Bump gave Cain a better result than Perry or Frothy. I have to say their latest show on the SuperPac was not only hilarious, but also scary. The latest call to the lawyer with them both there was good. Colbert describing how the SuperPac can inform the candidate, but not vice versa, was even better. Those two have shown more about the scam/corruption of big money in politics than anyone else.

Edward
01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
If someone votes Cain for Stephen Colbert than I wouldn't want them voting for Ron Paul to begin with.

Interesting. I would prefer that they vote for Ron.

Giuliani was there on 911
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
If someone votes Cain for Stephen Colbert than I wouldn't want them voting for Ron Paul to begin with. Colbert is funny let him makes his jokes.

Come on now a vote is a vote. It doesn't matter who it comes from. And I disagree with the people thinking that this won't hurt us. I think it will. There are a lot of casual voters, especially among young people. And I wouldn't underestimate the influence that Stewart and Colbert have. Remember how many people showed up to their rally in DC ? A lot of college kids who aren't in love with Ron Paul but are starting to think he's "cool" will probably end up voting for Colbert because he's even more hip.

01-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm not concered. The audience that would participate isn't really pro-Ron Paul, they are more anti-Republican. Ron Paul leaning audience would actually vote Ron Paul.

but don't forget how well we're doing with independents and democrats. We can't just rely on republicans.

kylejack
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Are you familiar with the Serenity Prayer?

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Even if Colbert is having some minor effect, it is something you can't change. Just accept it for the comedy that it is and move on.

George_K
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Colbert is a protest vote. I would estimate it will take about 2 to 3 % away from Ron Paul.

Edward
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Colbert is a protest vote. I would estimate it will take about 2 to 3 % away from Ron Paul.

Colbert will draw in the apathetic who would otherwise be unlikely to vote, and Ron's supporters are not apathetic.

01-18-2012, 02:31 PM

which is significant. He's not taking votes away from anyone else either.

01-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Colbert will draw in the apathetic who would otherwise be unlikely to vote, and Ron's supporters are not apathetic.

eh I don't know about that anymore. As we grow bigger and bigger we're bound to draw in apathetic voters. And I don't mind that. I bet most Obama supporters were apathetic too.

01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Out of curiosity I was wondering what if Colbert had said vote for Paul instead of Cain and he won. The media would just say that Colbert propelled him to the win and to totally discount South Carolina.

libertybrewcity
01-18-2012, 02:37 PM
People that are going to vote for Herman Cain as a joke probably weren'tgoing to vote for RP to begin with.

Edward
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
eh I don't know about that anymore. As we grow bigger and bigger we're bound to draw in apathetic voters. And I don't mind that. I bet most Obama supporters were apathetic too.

Yes. Ron draws in apathetic voters and makes them care. That is similar to Obama.

George_K
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Sorry but believing Colbert wont take away any votes from Ron Paul is delusional.

RP is among other things, a protest vote (protest against the status quo / the establishment) like Colbert will be.

Muwahid
01-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Relax. Enjoy. Laugh.

QFT

Aratus
01-19-2012, 11:53 AM
okay... who getz to be CEO herman cain's
ONE delegate in tampa? mr. steven colbert?