PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn’t Facebook joined the SOPA / PIPA blackout? [OPINION]

moderate libertarian
01-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Wiki is leading the charge and Google also has a black banner completely covering its logo:

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Yahoo is neocon central and has nothing marking this event on front page but what is facebook's excuse?

http://100gf.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/why-hasnt-facebook-joined-the-sopa-pipa-blackout-opinion/

For the record, I'm not convinced that facebook is CIA funded as some conpiracy theories had suggested. But fb still had big membership even after some cancellations over its shady privacy policies and could have tried to redeem itself.

RM918
01-18-2012, 06:12 AM
With Wikipedia down, I have been effectively plunged into the dark ages. I might as well strip naked and go foraging in the Pine Barrens.

Don't care about Facebook, tho'. I imagine if they shut down, there would be riots.

moderate libertarian
01-18-2012, 06:54 AM
With Wikipedia down, I have been effectively plunged into the dark ages. I might as well strip naked and go foraging in the Pine Barrens.

Don't care about Facebook, tho'. I imagine if they shut down, there would be riots.

Agreed :)

cindy25
01-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Mark Zuckerberg is a Zionist, and has much in common with Hollywood?

messana
01-18-2012, 07:23 AM
With all the investments that are being made through facebook, i would be surprised they would black out.

fisharmor
01-18-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't know about you guys, but half of my FB stories is stuff about SOPA and PIPA right now. I'd say the users are doing a good job picking up the slack.

smithtg
01-18-2012, 07:25 AM

you really care about wikipedia? Just for basic facts its ok, but some parts are so lefty and/or biased it makes you sick

UtahApocalypse
01-18-2012, 07:27 AM
So far i have only seen two sites truly shut off and blacked out. Google and Wiki having a banner is not blacked out

TheViper
01-18-2012, 07:29 AM
So far i have only seen two sites truly shut off and blacked out. Google and Wiki having a banner is not blacked out
Wiki is out...for the US.

moderate libertarian
01-18-2012, 07:29 AM

Never heard that before. Even if he is, if he is not Israeli citizen also like some Hollywood zionists and keeps Facebook servers inside US, don't see any additional privacy concerns than would be any other American business that does mining of its customer data for profit.

cindy25
01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Wiki is black, Worldwide for English; Demonoid is black, as is Daily Paul

brandon
01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
FYI if I have my order of events right I think reddit is leading the charge to make this specific day the blackout. Yahoo and Facebook are both said to oppose SOPA so I don't know why the haven't done anything. Pretty disappointing.

Also of note, Craigslist has had a blurb about SOPA on the front page for several days and they are now blacked out.

Gonna be a slow day at work today.

UtahApocalypse
01-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Wiki is out...for the US.hmmm not for me. Just a banner on the top

moderate libertarian
01-18-2012, 07:50 AM
hmmm not for me. Just a banner on the top

Weird, it is down in the US. Redirects to a blacked out page with this message:

Imagine a World
Without Free Knowledge
For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

Contact your representatives.

Your ZIP code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

CyberTootie
01-18-2012, 07:58 AM
It's just an overlay. You can still read the content by opening the page's source and see the page itself with a little modification.

Lucille
01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Zuckerberg is a technofascist. He loves Big Brother.

libertybrewcity
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
IMO it's better that FB is not down. It seems like every single status is about the SOPA and PIPA blackout. Every minute people are changing their pic to an anti-sopa image. Although it would be nice if they had at least a little message on the side.

LibertyRevolution
01-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I am running Firefox with NoScript Addon and AdBlock Plus. Wiki pages load normal for me.
NoScript kills all js, so no stupid blackout pages for me.

Facebook has lost what little cred it had with me (which wasnt much anyways, i think facebook is the devil), they should have blacked out.

Also, why is youtube not blacked out?? I mean wouldn't that site die a quick death to SOPA, most of the videos there are copyinfringment.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Wikipedia isn't even down. If you hit "stop" on your browser right when the page fully loads, the SOPA message won't pop up.

onlyrp
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
because facebook is owned by the gubmints!!

moderate libertarian
01-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Zuckerberg is a technofascist. He loves Big Brother.

Did not know that.

But he seems close to Obama and I do not doubt claims that he has provided Obama's people backdoor and frontdoor access to fb.

http://nimg.sulekha.com/others/original700/barack-obama-mark-zuckerberg-2011-4-20-18-31-27.jpg

Marenco
01-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Well, Facebook did get some funding from venture capital firm Accel Partners. Its manager James Breyer was formerly chairman of the National Venture Capital Association, and served on the board with Gilman Louie, CEO of In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm established by the Central Intelligence Agency in 1999. One of the company's key areas of expertise are in "data mining technologies".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10456534

It's also interesting to note that Facebook's COO Sheryl Sandberg's thesis adviser at Harvard was Lawrence H. Summers who was World Bank Chief Economist (1991-99) , Secretary of the Treasury 2-Jul-1999 to 20-Jan-2001, US National Economic Council Director (2009-10) under Obama.

Bosco Warden
01-18-2012, 07:49 PM

+100

TheNewYorker
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
because facebook is owned by the gubmints!!
This is true. Why else do you think facebook has no customer service? No phone number you can call, and no mailing information? All we know about facebook is a few key figures who supposedly own it. No one else. No one ever claming to work for facebook, which would be expected with a supposed multi billion dollar corporation.

It was the best idea for the government, ever. No need to spend billions to spy on people. Just let people sign up, make an account, and do it themselves by sharing what they are having for dinner every night to everyone who is a "friend."

onlyrp
01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
This is true. Why else do you think facebook has no customer service? No phone number you can call, and no mailing information? All we know about facebook is a few key figures who supposedly own it. No one else. No one ever claming to work for facebook, which would be expected with a supposed multi billion dollar corporation.

It was the best idea for the government, ever. No need to spend billions to spy on people. Just let people sign up, make an account, and do it themselves by sharing what they are having for dinner every night to everyone who is a "friend."

no customer service = owned by government???

the fact you don't know who works for facebook = it must be government owned?? LMAO

Have you not seen job openings for overseas offices?

TheNewYorker
01-18-2012, 09:04 PM
no customer service = owned by government???

the fact you don't know who works for facebook = it must be government owned?? LMAO

Have you not seen job openings for overseas offices?

Yes and for one it's pissing me off. I own a business and facebook automatically adds local businesses to it's website. But it has the wrong information on it on my business and there's no way I can change it. It's COSTING me business, because the facebook page they created is top 10 in google due to facebook's rank in google. And facebook has no way for me to contact them. No e-mail, on phone number, nothing. I'm about 10 minutes away from taking them to court.

QueenB4Liberty
01-18-2012, 09:45 PM
I love Google and Craigslist today. Although I think Google is big government, right? They'll at least give your information up with little resistance.

kill the banks
01-18-2012, 09:55 PM
http://concord-nh.patch.com/articles/ayotte-withdraws-pipa-support

U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) has withdrawn her co-sponsorship of the Protect IP Act, the Senate cousin of SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act). In a statement tonight

moderate libertarian
01-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Lover's quarrel? Hollywood neocons starting to turn on their plant Obama:

http://rt.com/usa/news/hollywood-obama-sopa-support-229/