PDA

View Full Version : I'm speaking about RP to up to 400 'young professionals' in Des Moines

Dave
11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Please give me your ideas!

This is on Tuesday and I only get about 2 minutes. This is a chamber of commerce-type thing for 20- and 30-something 'professionals' to learn about the caucuses. Someone will speak on behalf of each candidate. The crowd will include dems, reps, and independents.

The Iowa Secretary of State will be there along with local ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. More media may be there.

What bullet points do you think I should hit for this audience?

Also - I'm planning to pass out the tri-fold and 'west coast' slim jim.

There's a lot of brain power on these forums. All input appreciated...

max
11-10-2007, 10:38 PM
The declining dollar due to money being printed to finance big government and foreign occupation....

Integrity...votes against his own payraises and Congressional Pension...

Nov 5th...all grassrots...

Tea Party

slim jim bullet points...

a personal anecdote about how you came to love this man..

an appeal to learn more....You Tube Ron Paul Stop Dreaming...

Naraku
11-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I think a big one to highlight would be his support from veterans and servicemen.

billjarrett
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Anyone still have the link for the soon to be printed slim jims for small business? That might be a good place to start for talking with the "Young Urban Professional" crowd.

Edit: Found it. The soon to be printed slim-jim can be found in this thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=34280&highlight=business

tarsus
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
That's the perfect crowd for Ron Paul. Just focus on economics: the dollar, ending subsidies, and tax break incentives.

jpa
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
2 minutes?

After doing an intro & quick bio (dr, air force, 50 year marriage) I would throw a few teasers out there like:
- Dr. Paul will reduce the 1 trillion dollars a year we spend on foreign policy
- Veto unconstitutional laws like the Patriot Act
- Restore states rights to control their own education & energy policies
- Work to eliminate the Income tax

Then close with "View his videos on Youtube, read his writings & speeches at ronpaullibrary.org, and hear interviews & speechs at ronpaulaudio.com"

Ron Paul Fan
11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Ron Paul will end the Iraq war and stop spending a trillion dollars overseas! He will work towards a flat tax! Flat as in zero! Eliminate the IRS and replace it with nothing!

DeadheadForPaul
11-10-2007, 10:48 PM
1.) What is the overall message of this campaign: Freedom, The Constitution, limited government
2.) Who supports Ron Paul: Diverse group. All races, religions, and political affiliations (Repubs, Dems, Independents, people not typically involved in politics). Largest number of meetups. Joke about you may have heard a thing or two about Dr Paul online

3.) Why support him? (you're talking to young professionals so know you're audience!!!)

A.)Young professionals would like the option to opt out of social security and take control of your life and your finances.

B.)Lower taxes! (no income tax)

C.) How to lower taxes? Fiscal responsibility, low spending, and free markets

D.) Sensible foreign policy - Follow the advice of the Founders - Ron Paul is a veteran, most donations from veterans, broke online donation record.

E.) Overall message: Return to traditional American beliefs of personal freedom!

Malakai0
11-10-2007, 10:50 PM
If I were giving a short speech on Ron's behalf, I would open with easy to understand stuff, then work my way through banking and economics, and tie them in with foreign policy.

Watch some of RP's long interviews for a good understanding of his stance on the issues firsthand. You want to be able to elaborate or respond to questions.

Points I would definitely want to hit:

Education and Healthcare (government involvement drives up prices, government money funneled into an industry causes prices to INFLATE or go up every time)

Monetary policy (don't jump into disbanding the fed right away or ever, just talk about how our money is devalued by the government in collusion with the central bankers. Maybe note that some 80% or more of the revenue brought in by the income tax in '07 will be to pay the interest on the national debt to the banks. Maybe quickly explain how lower interest rates means ramping up the money printing presses, and will simply cause more inflation which is the problem in the first place.)

Foreign policy. Our actions around the world make us less safe, due to a tired overworked overdeployed military. Explain how our intervention in the PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF SOVEREIGN NATIONS (the word sovereign means little to many, I would explain how sovereignty is a part of freedom, and our intervening in sovereign nations in the name of spreading freedom is absurd) causes people to disdain or even hate us. People don't like being forced what to do, we should not be surprised that our actions around the world have consequences.

I'd close with hitting Ron's idealistic goals for his candidacy:

Abolition of the Income Tax
A return to sound money with real value. (don't need to kill the fed ..right away.. but legalize real money and remove all taxes on real money which is gold&silver)
A noninterventionist foreign policy. Respect other countries, talk to them, trade with them, travel back and forth. No handing out of taxpayer money, and no intervening in their internal affairs EVER.
Working off the national debt with massive overseas spending cuts, while tiding over the people reliant on our failed and broke social programs.
Using the money saved from cutting the budget MASSIVELY to keep social security alive while allowing anyone who wants too OPT OUT AND KEEP THEIR MONEY.

Immigration if you want, depends on the city your in I guess. Here in my area I'd definitely hit immigration, but if its not a problem in your area, less knowledgeable people will consider you heartless.

DeadheadForPaul
11-10-2007, 10:51 PM
remember, if it is a chamber of commerce thing with young professionals , they will MAINLY want to hear about economic/fiscal policy like TAXES and SPENDING

GoPaul
11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
As posted above.

Integrity - first and foremost. People(ok at least me) are tired of politicians. Does not vote to appease the masses(may be bad word), votes by principal.

Smaller Government - reinstatement of privacy/freedom. Balanced budget.

Personal Responsibility - add them, and their values, into the process of election.

Ending the War: Choose any war you prefer. There's enough of them. But bringing the troops home from Iraq may be pointed.

If extra time:

Illegal Immigration - not against immigration. Just against illegal immigration.

I would stay away from monetary and abortion topics. I don't know the local audience though.

And if need any direct remarks again Giuliani. Look up the open firefighters letter to him. Wow.

monotony
11-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I would also emphasize that his campaign is bringing together Repub, Democrats, Independents, and previous nonvoters and his goal is to transfer power and money from DC back to the people.

Avalon
11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
If you possibly can, I'd recommend writing up a draft and record yourself delivering it (go over two minutes if you think you're cutting stuff out you'd like to include) and then we can help you with editing and presentation. This is a great opportunity!

Energy
11-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Some good soundbites from today's rally on CNN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUiZeUs9HU

beerista
11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
In a room full of young professionals I would think economic policy would be a good start. On the other hand, if this will be televised beyond the local area, you'd want to tailor the message for a broader crowd than just those present.
Off the top of my head I'd probably emphasize foreign policy because it will be the most stark difference with everyone else on the stage. If you have the time to tie that into monetary policy, so much the better.
You probably know the topics important to Des Moines voters better than we. What do they care most about there?

me3
11-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I would avoid promoting the campaign or grassroots, with the exception of the success of Nov 5th (frame it in regards to all of the other GOP candidates). Business people like winners, everyone wants to be a winner and money talks.

I'd also stress taxes, his economic conservatism in Congress and with the campaign funds.

And lastly, I would follow up with something about his integrity, and his fearlessness to make the constitutionally correct decision, not the politically popular one.

If you must talk about foreign policy, frame it as economics. Mention a return to American prosperity and a sound dollar. That is the stuff that will resonate with these people.

American
11-10-2007, 11:37 PM
I alway use the bit about a vote for Ron Paul is a vote for yourself, Ron Paul believe this country is great because of the people, the small business owners, not the Govt. The rest of the candidates want to tell you how they are going to "help" you through lofty social programs to which there is no money or actually allowing you to take care of yourself by less Govt, getting rid of the income tax and other intrusive Govt regulations which stifle growth and make it hard to compete in there respective businesses.

Who else has addressed the monetary policy, to which the dollar is sinking everyday to a low record low.

I also use his voting record, its perfect. He is a principled politician when its not in vogue to be principled today in Washington. The oath is simple, to obey and respect the Constitution of the United States of American.

Rarely can we use hind sight to be useful for predicting the future, but today we can go back and look that by following the constitution we wouldn't be in the mess we are today, he voted against the war in Iraq, Against regime change under Clinton in 98, against the patriot act, and the military commissions act of 2006. By following the rule of law which is set down by the constitution.

RockEnds
11-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Dave, I’m getting used to the short presentations with the phone calls! Personally, I have 5 talking points:

Responsibility
Equal Justice
Strength
Consistency
Unity

I tailor them to the concerns expressed by my listener, but usually Responsibility is either an increase in individual responsibility or a decrease in government responsibility. Equal Justice tips toward individual rights. Strength targets either the economy or national defense, but in both cases, I emphasize a move toward self-determination and away from a defensive, victim mentality. Consistency is aimed at both his personal integrity and the need for Constitutional integrity. And Unity, well, freedom brings us together.

Good luck with your presentation!

Furis
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
As someone who will be entering the work force in another month and a half, I would recommend the importance of the economic policies. You may make a million dollars but if its not worth anything its worthless.

hatefalseweight
11-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Lou Dobbs is making a big splash with basically Ron's platform. Neither of the 2 parties care about the people. All the candidates are screened and funded by the globalists.

I'd definitely hit the destruction of the dollar. Tell them to google Ron Paul Bernanke. Ron Paul has enthusiastic support of the constitutional money crowd and is the leading spokesman in the world for issues of liberty, sound money , and free market economics.

Ron brings together the left and right on the 4th amendment / spying issues with David Keene, Bruce Fein, Andrew Napolitano and Richard Viguerie on the rigth with their American Freedom Agenda (Ron also introduced legislation for this) and Naomi Wolf on the left who just wrote her book on 10 points of how a dictatorship sets up shop .... they come up with a phony enemey and implement all these control tactics.

Ron Paul got 4900 mentions in media in the last year ... John McCain got 95,000 .... 5 candidates got more than 80 pct of the news articles. Ron Paul supporters are educating themselves and going around the media with the internet and money bomb, winning the polls among informed people, losing the name recognition polls.

People have to understand that Osama is not the target - we are the target. The globablists are the enemy.

Freedom
11-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Here's my 0.02 FRNs:

Brief intro about who is Ron Paul:
- 10 term Republican congressman
- Champion of the Constituion with voting record to prove it
- Veteran
- Doctor delivered over 4,000 babies
- Married to same woman 50 years, 5 kids, 18 grandkids, 1 great-grandkid
- Got into politics after we went off gold standard to make a better future for his kids

His campaign message:

- Freedom
Restore our rights/constitution/rule of law
Get big government out of our lives

- Prosperity
Phase out unconstitional fiat money (lost 97% of its value)
Phase out IRS as spending is reduced to FY 2000 level
Youth can opt out of Social Security

- Peace
End the war in Iraq
Bring our troups home from 130 countries around the world
Protect our own borders; stop illegal immigration
Conclusion:
- Straw poll results
- Fund raising results and future plans
- Check out RonPaulisHope.com and other YouTube videos
- Because he is the Champion of the Constituion, Ron Paul is the only one who can beat Hillary Clinton!

Dave
11-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Shameless self-bump to reach the morning crowd...

Thanks for all the great input! I wouldn't have thought of all these points. Wish I had 20 minutes instead of 2.

How will I spend the time you're saving me on this? Working the phones to recruit more Ron Paul Precinct Captains! We're a team!

constituent
11-11-2007, 09:15 AM
-Consistent Record of Integrity and standing by his principles (it worked for the prudential commercials right?)

-You'll have to do some audience analysis, but look into his voting record for relevant votes (small farms, inflation, national debt, payroll taxes, etc.)

-The need for this country to have a dialog about true, free vs. controlled, manipulated markets and where the good doctor stands on that issue (and where they can find the info. for themselves)

-Boom and Bust and its effects on small business owners (wipe-out) and the "wealth" of average Americans, furthermore the apparent insider/market manipulation that is at play (segue into the fed.)

-A quick brief on the importance of sound currency to personal financial stability, ability to accurately project one's retirement needs into the future....

any of those would be good to throw in the mix.

Visual
11-11-2007, 09:27 AM
How he is the most consistent candidate with what he votes and says being the same for 30 years.

Tell them about how RP wants to let them opt out of SS (I know as a 20 something that's a pretty big thing for me)

He's also never voted for a deficit budget.

Restore personal rights.

James R
11-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Please give me your ideas!

This is on Tuesday and I only get about 2 minutes. This is a chamber of commerce-type thing for 20- and 30-something 'professionals' to learn about the caucuses. Someone will speak on behalf of each candidate. The crowd will include dems, reps, and independents.

The Iowa Secretary of State will be there along with local ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. More media may be there.

What bullet points do you think I should hit for this audience?

Also - I'm planning to pass out the tri-fold and 'west coast' slim jim.

There's a lot of brain power on these forums. All input appreciated...

Keep it focused on the big issues and put thirty seconds of time to each issue. Write out the keywords of each topic so when you speak, you don't forget anything. Put out the issues in order from most important to least important:

1. Iraq War. 30 seconds.
- Use Reagan quote.
- Make SURE you point out that the donations he recieved from the troops are about as much as all other candidates put together.
- Point out that people should not sacrifice liberty for saftey, using Ben Franklin quote.
- Ron Paul believes terrorism has some roots in our bad foreign policy and a non-interventionist foreign policy will slowly end the terrorism.
- Only go to war on congressional vote, which is what the constitution says we have to do.
- Currently we have troops in over 100 countries around the world. In about three to six months, Ron Paul will have troops in one country: The United States of America.

3. Economy. 30 seconds.
- Use Milton Friedman Quote.
- Point out that he has dramatic support from people in the financial sector who think his economic policies are very smart.
- Stable dollar will end inflation.
- Free trade will help restore the wealth, with no corporate subsidies.

3. Health Care. 30 seconds.
- Point out that he is a medical doctor.
- Point out that he wants it resolved at the state level sell this idea by pointing out that states can borrow other states plans that are working well and drop them if they are not working.
- He wants young people to be able to opt out of social security, medicare, and medicaid because those programs are not working. Instead the states can put in programs that work or let charities take over health care for the needy, saying that our taxes will down so much even middle class citizens will be able to donate to states who have no health care plans.

4. Ron Paul's resume & accomplishments. 30 seconds
Highlights to include:
A. Medical Doctor who has delivered about 4,000 babies
B. Re-use Reagan quote to point out he is an air force officer who served in a war.
C. 10-term congressman.
D. Highlight of accomplishments.
- Never voted for a tax increase
- Never voted for unbalanced budget
- Never voted to spend social security funds and did vote to eliminate the tax on social security.
- Gives portion of his congressional budget back to the treasury each year.
E. Lobbyists even don't bother going to his office with special interests money because he is a man of principle.
F. Close with "Quote from Ron Paul's wife of 50 years." on why he should run for office.

James R
11-11-2007, 10:01 AM
PS - Right after your speech pass out a Ron Paul slim jim to all 400 of them. Count how many are in each row of people. Then give the first person in each row a stack to take one and pass it on. Nobody else will do this, but you can, and I would bet that nobody will stop you.