PDA

View Full Version : Insiders think Ron Paul has a Chance

AlexMerced
01-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Was talking to a client today who's part of a very powerful family with powerful friends who I can't name, but he's a Ron Paul supporter and he's told me some jaw dropping names on who is pro-ron paul or at least had positive things to say. But it seems many insiders think he's got a better chance than many people think of winning it all.

JacobG18
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
hope your right Alex

phill4paul
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
This isn't a 'secret millionaire' post is it? :D

low preference guy
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
the whole thing could shift very quickly. he could for example be seen as the only viable not-romney just before super tuesday and then win big that day.

Zevi
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I know someone at Harvard (went to school with him) who's likewise from what I'm told is a fairly influential family and he's been a Paul supporter for some time now. We'll see.

AlexMerced
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
no, I'm not one to speculate, this isn't me saying there some secret twist, just a few people sentiments, but sentiments of people who know the system VERY well. Many political bigwigs are cheering on Ron Paul even though they can't do it publically.

Lishy
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Well this is certainly good news.

I know not all high class citizens are corrupt, so it's motivating to have their support, even if unofficial.

Ron Paul is our last chance, cuz' I don't want another damned war!

Jack Bauer
01-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Do any of these "political bigwigs" you talk about have a first name Jim and a last name DeMint?

Because that's the worst kept secret in 2012.

SaulPaulinsky
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Tell them to give some danged money to the campaign and the superPACs then!

moonshine5757
01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
hey doesn't anyone remember in the 2008 campaign the talk of the secret millionaire who was gonna do this and that and never did anything? no to open old wounds, but i never hear anyone bring it up. .

phill4paul
01-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Many political bigwigs are cheering on Ron Paul even though they can't do it publically.

Then they're not a 'big-wig' to me. There are people out here in the trenches eatin' Ramen so they can buy a RP t-shirt. These people mean more to me than any millionaire sitting on their ass wondering speculating which way the wind will blow tomorrow.
Not jumpin' on your case man. :) Things like this piss me off more than they inspire.

phill4paul
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
hey doesn't anyone remember in the 2008 campaign the talk of the secret millionaire who was gonna do this and that and never did anything? no to open old wounds, but i never hear anyone bring it up. .

post #3? ;)

Tyler_Durden
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm concerned about what I'm seeing in SC. The SCGOP seems to be against Paul. The media coverage blows, compared to Iowa and NH, and last night's debate appeared to have been heavily occupied by SCGOP Silver Elephant members (very conservative).

Tyler_Durden
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM

who's funding Endorse Liberty?

One of the Huffines is funding that other Super PAC in TX.

Jtorsella
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm concerned about what I'm seeing in SC. The SCGOP seems to be against Paul. The media coverage blows, compared to Iowa and NH, and last night's debate appeared to have been heavily occupied by SCGOP Silver Elephant members (very conservative).
We've got four State Senators on our side, is that sub par? Do you live in SC? What are you feeling on the ground?

Liberty74
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh come on...

You can't leave us hanging like that.

Drop some names. :p Or at least give the reasons why these secret people think Ron Paul has a chance.

Erazmus
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Here's hoping that you're right.

Mckarnin
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
I remember right after the 08' campaign I heard from an Aunt who moves in the first circles in Dallas and she said: "Well, now everyone around here is saying that Ron Paul was right about everything." Hope that still holds true.

Liberty74
01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
the whole thing could shift very quickly. he could for example be seen as the only viable not-romney just before super tuesday and then win big that day.

Except right now all the polls show in a 2 way race Romney wins easily against Paul - about 60 to 25.

CMoore
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Why are people "afraid" to endorse Ron Paul? No one is afraid to endorse Romney or Newt or Santorum, etc. What is is about endorsing Ron Paul that strikes fear in the the hearts of men? Anyone? Bueller?

ryanmkeisling
no, I'm not one to speculate, this isn't me saying there some secret twist, just a few people sentiments, but sentiments of people who know the system VERY well. Many political bigwigs are cheering on Ron Paul even though they can't do it publically.

Why do they have to keep their support hidden? They very well cannot be that committed to freedom if they are closet supporters?
It is nice to hear that but feels rather disingenuous. If people do not speak out, it doesn't help to win.

TwoJ
Except right now all the polls show in a 2 way race Romney wins easily against Paul - about 60 to 25.

I believe that will change over time. Romney hadn't ever really even been attacked until last night.

thoughtomator
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
If they are sincere, it's time for them to put their money where their mouths are. The other side is.

craezie
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM

This. I don't know why everyone is so anxious for it to be a 2 way race. I think we have a way better chance if it stays a 3 or 4 way race. I think people assume we are going to pick up a lot of people who don't like Romney, but those people don't like Paul either or they would already be on board. Ultimately, the GOP is a bunch of scared sissies and most of them are going to go the status quo route. Whereas the way thing are now, we can pick up a good chunk of delegates in each race with our superior organization, then take it to the convention floor.

Tyler_Durden
We've got four State Senators on our side, is that sub par? Do you live in SC? What are you feeling on the ground?

I'm not in SC, just watching the trends. In Iowa, the Campaign indicated they trusted the IA GOP. In SC, his event schedule isn't even mentioned on the SC GOP website.

I'm not certain how the local coverage is going, but all of the endorsements seem pretty mum on the National level.

There were limited public seats available seats to the debate last night. see article:
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=704062

It appears you had to be a GOP Silver Elephant Club memeber to score seats. When I ran a search on this group, they enjoy the likes of Karl Rove....nuff said there...No wonder there were neo-con standing ovations and golden rule boos.

Antwan15
Then they're not a 'big-wig' to me. There are people out here in the trenches eatin' Ramen so they can buy a RP t-shirt. These people mean more to me than any millionaire sitting on their ass wondering speculating which way the wind will blow tomorrow.
Not jumpin' on your case man. :) Things like this piss me off more than they inspire.

Thank you!!!! This is crazy, either you support him or you do not. WE DONT NEED ELITES TO WIN THIS ELECTION...tell them to send some money...we only raised 1.5mm this money bomb...and I can promise that it is not because we have a host of closet millionaires who secretly support RP.

Brick-in-the-Wall
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
I guess I have to have the decoder ring and know the secret handshake to get in on this super secret G14 classified stuff?

Jtorsella
01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you!!!! This is crazy, either you support him or you do not. WE DONT NEED ELITES TO WIN THIS ELECTION...tell them to send some money...we only raised 1.5mm this money bomb...and I can promise that it is not because we have a host of closet millionaires who secretly support RP.
The number of active SuperPacs is a better indicator. We now have three. I'm becoming confident that some big money wants more liberty.

Freeberty
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
The way they treat the good doctor suggests they are still afraid he could actually win it. If they believe it then there is no reason that we shouldn't:)

RockEnds
01-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Oh, I forgot all about that! Hey, it's not too late for that guy to make a donation. ;)

revgen
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
IMO, we have to either win the nomination or at least come very close to winning the nomination before the "big money" kicks in.

WD-NY
01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Was talking to a client today who's part of a very powerful family with powerful friends who I can't name, but he's a Ron Paul supporter and he's told me some jaw dropping names on who is pro-ron paul or at least had positive things to say. But it seems many insiders think he's got a better chance than many people think of winning it all.

Koch?

ryanmkeisling
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM

ghemminger?

Edward
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Another "back in the day" reference. Love it!

dancjm
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Mitt cannot defend himself, so against Obama he will fail. Paul bring is lots of young people whom he has personally schooled on constitutional government and sound economics and foriegn and domestic policy. These young people embody traditional republican principles, and they will not vote for anyone but Paul.

Not only could Paul defend himself against Obama, not only could Paul attack Obama without being a hypocrite, but Ron Paul can easily take all those young voters from Obama. They were promised so much and must realise that most of what was promised was lies and what he meant is not doable anyway because the USA is broke.

So now they need something that doesnt just sound good but actually works, and they need someone that they can actually believe in, and in Ron Paul they will find both. Ron speaks the truth, and we know how much that appeals to young people (like me :D).

So Paul has new young republicans and can take, like noone else can, Obamas young misguided democrats.

Ron Paul is the only Republican who can beat Obama.

Lishy
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Why are people "afraid" to endorse Ron Paul? No one is afraid to endorse Romney or Newt or Santorum, etc. What is is about endorsing Ron Paul that strikes fear in the the hearts of men? Anyone? Bueller?

This.

If OP is being honest, could we at least know WHY they cannot support Ron Paul?

Paulitics 2011
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Of course he does.

Why do you think the establishment is so scared of him?

dannno
01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Why do they have to keep their support hidden?

Everybody has a boss.

phill4paul
01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
ghemminger?

Another "back in the day" reference. Love it!

Couldn't resist. :p

TheTexan
01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Was talking to a client today who's part of a very powerful family with powerful friends who I can't name, but he's a Ron Paul supporter and he's told me some jaw dropping names on who is pro-ron paul or at least had positive things to say

Romney?

pacelli
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
oh FFS, are you pulling a ghemmy on us?

Very powerful insiders... they wouldn't happen to be aliased as "GoodSpirits" ....would they? These bastards will NOT affect the grassroots this season.

Cuz around this time during the last campaign this "insiders-support-RP" bullshit started. Then one of these individuals posted a message on the forums about billions, blah blah, and nothing happened. Got a lot of people's hopes up, and their hopes were deflated JUST as Ron posted his "the campaign is winding down" message.

Tell these insiders to NUT UP OR SHUT UP.

I hereby CHALLENGE them to prove their worthiness by donating $150,000 to revolutionpac by Friday, January 20.

How ya like them apples?

jacmicwag
01-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Okay, check is in the mail. :)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Really. Pussies.

Sorry, but I can't really think of any other way to put it.

tbone717
01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Let me put a little perspective on this from personal experience. When I was in college 20+ years ago, I worked at a real exclusive country club outside of Philly. This was a big money club, the Annenbergs were members there (they have a school at the Univ of Penn named after the family) - so you get what I mean when I say big money club. The club was all limousine liberals - all voted Democrat, they had fundraisers at the club, etc.I worked in the clubhouse and would get the clubs and carts set up for the members and their guests. I also would work as a ranger and would be out and about on the course. Some of the members were very friendly with the staff, especially some of the younger guys.

Anyway, one of the members and I had a conversation one day about politics. He saw I was reading a book or paper or something (I can't remember how the conversation went) but he told me that there were a few closet Republicans at the club. He said they could never breath a word of it to their circle of friends and acquaintances, but he voted Republican all the time. Why couldn't he make that known? Because his entire business world was within that club - his suppliers, customers, lawyers, accountants, etc. He would pretty much be blackballed if he didn't show up at the Democrat fundraisers, press the flesh and write a check. Was he gutless? Maybe to a point but this guy (and others like him) had a business, a family, employees that relied on him.

So I am guessing that the closet Paul supporters are probably in the same boat. Maybe not to the degree that these club members were, but I am sure that some eyebrows might be raised if some of these folks pledge their allegiance to Paul. They are just possibly looking out for their own interests and the interests of others.

While we are intimately involved in this process, to most people it is only another election, and whether Paul wins or loses life will go on as normal for most. Most people, even those that support Paul, do not have the level of passion and desire for success that we share. Remember, we are the grassroots, the people that give up money and time to support the candidate. Most people do not share our level of commitment, nor should we expect them to. This is our sport, our hobby, our passion - not everyone's.

Feelgood
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Tube, or it didnt happen.

tmg19103
01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Most people want to fit in and are image conscious. The rich supports he status quo in Washington because it benefits them, but no doubt some fell guilty and bad for the rest of us.

those are probably the ones being talked about here, but they can't "come out" or they will be shunned in their social circle of rich, elite types who benefit from the political system.

I at least give them credit for seeing what it awesome about RP. Most rich types are too selfish.

BigByrd47119
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
For some of these people to openly come out in support would ultimately render their endorsement useless as their affiliations quickly moved to shut them off redering their influence as nothing more than another Paul voter...

There may yet come a day when the tides change and to oppose Dr. Paul will become what supporting Paul is today.

Txrose4ever
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
There's another way to think about that. These people can INFLUENCE and may be able to do so better, at this point in time, behind the scenes. There will come a point, where others WILL stand up. It took courage for the 4 Senators in SC to stand with Dr. Paul. I am sure they will get some flak for that, but as the tide turns, I believe more and more people will step forward.

alucard13mmfmj
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
perhaps they can donate a the campaign and a few million to revpac? XD.... the future of the USA and these people of high influence is at stake! collapse of monetary/economy wont help the everyday rich, powerful families. lol what are they gonna buy with a tens of millions of dollars that is worth toilet paper.

muh_roads
01-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Sounds like Kristol nearly had a nervous breakdown and is now challenging Paul to debate. So I have no reason to doubt the OP.

Keep donating and phoning from home everyone. Push hard and make the neocons poop themselves.

Korey Kaczynski
01-18-2012, 01:03 AM

Spoken like a true 07'er!

pappy
01-18-2012, 01:28 AM
These are the times that try mens souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman---Thomas Paine

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!--Samuel Adams

Two of my favorites that sum up how I feel about those with their finger to the wind and waiting to jump on the bandwagon only if it comes along!

pappy

Voluntary Man
01-18-2012, 02:51 AM

"Can't" because of a medical condition? Are they testicularly challenged....like DeMint?

thoughtomator
01-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Samuel Adams said:

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

JJ2
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM

But can't they privately donate to the Super PACs?

J_White
01-18-2012, 03:01 AM
I think the GOP should understand, that without the independents and the energy of the youth voters, they cannot win. Romney does not have it, while Dr. Paul does.
the thing is who is above the Parties and what do they want ?
If the party wants to win, it can make Dr. Paul the nominee, but if the special interests want more bailouts and more wars, then they wont mind Romney being the nominee, because in that case Obama will win and things will continue as usual.

J_White
01-18-2012, 03:05 AM
enlighten me please , i am a noob !
whats this gotta do with 2007 ?
was there some people hoping some millionaire would suddenly give Paul a lot of money and then he would be able to have a better campaign ?

cindy25
01-18-2012, 03:06 AM
this is a strange year; and it will get stranger

events outside the campaign might have a huge influence; watch SOPA, Iran, any big bank failures and/or bailouts; even a major national disaster could have an effect, as could a terrorist attack.

for many Ron is a 2nd choice (DeMint prefers Ron over Romney, as does Palin; even Beck prefers Ron over Newt) so who the final 2 are also has an impact

wsc321
01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
the whole thing could shift very quickly....

I also believe this. Some in the media must be in denial, because the standing Ron Paul has right now in the race wasn't that hard to see coming prior to NH. It was just a matter of relatively simple comparative analysis.

With the "other three" fighting with one another it looks like the potential perfect storm. Gingrich and Santorum get knocked out, leaving Ron Paul and Romney - then something like the Tax Return issue with Romney could shake confidence in the GOP. Meanwhile, national polls show Ron Paul can beat Obama.

The Mainstream Media HAS overplayed their hand... they've been negative on Paul for so long that they risk having their viewer abandon their influence as irrelevant in a moment. Lots of folks, unfortunately, just want to be "on the bandwagon", and they could get behind Dr. Paul faster than anyone thinks.

I genuinely believe Ron Paul could beat Obama: he'd take the independents, a bunch of Democrats, and nearly all the Republican voters (except for those employed by Fox News or the Federal Government).

deputydon
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Yeah, right now it. Give Paul some 1v1 debates with Romney and see how that shifts. Mix in the whole Romney Tax issue. If Romney isn't willing to show his taxes before the republican primary ends, how the hell can people even begin to trust him? I still think an audience member needs ask during a debate, "Romney, congressman Paul has said that if he were president he would cut his salary to just under 40k a year. If you became president, would you be willing to cut your salary to that amount as well? If not, then why? And if so, can we hold you to that if you win the presidency?"

He wouldn't know how to respond. He would beat around the bush and take years to answer it. I know it doesn't really sound that big, but I think it could potentially turn out in Paul's favor. Especially if he said no, then the audience member followed up with something like, "You're telling me that you want to raise taxes on the middle class by around 5% but you won't take a pay cut as president in order to restore America to it's former self?"

Tinnuhana
01-18-2012, 08:28 AM
I first imagined that the super PAC in TX had Nolan Ryan involved somehow.

trey4sports
01-18-2012, 08:42 AM
I believe that will change over time. Romney hadn't ever really even been attacked until last night.

agreed. i dont know if it will be ENOUGH to beat romney but it will become much tighter.

georgiaboy
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Of course he does.

Why do you think the establishment is so scared of him?

Yep.

I agree with these insiders.

Athan
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
While I agree that they don't matter to us compared to those in the trenches until they provide and vocalize their support, a good revolution will need those with capital to throw in their support with the Revolutionaries on behalf of Liberty. It not be as important in an intellectual Revolution untill later, but it is especially critical in a time sensitive election, or in the future if things turned violent for some reason (dollar mayham for example).

nayjevin
01-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Kelly Clarkson came out in favor of Ron Paul. What happened?

E! or Entertainment Tonight or one of those shows ran a piece on it. It went something like this:

"Kelly Clarkson is being attacked on Twitter for her support of Ron Paul for President. Critics say Ron Paul is a Racist, Anti-Semite, and Homophobe. We asked Kelly to explain."

Kelly: "I like Ron Paul!"

"In other news..."

tbone717
01-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Kelly Clarkson came out in favor of Ron Paul. What happened?

E! or Entertainment Tonight or one of those shows ran a piece on it. It went something like this:

"Kelly Clarkson is being attacked on Twitter for her support of Ron Paul for President. Critics say Ron Paul is a Racist, Anti-Semite, and Homophobe. We asked Kelly to explain."

Kelly: "I like Ron Paul!"

"In other news..."

Exactly, she put her career at risk doing what she did. Was it a brave move or a naive move? Personally, if I was her manager I would have advised her to not make her political views known. While it did benefit her in the short term with the jump in sales from the RP supporters, we do not know what long term effect it might have on her career. We all remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks right?

We have to remember that while this election is the biggest thing in our lives right now, for most casual observers it is just another election.

dfalken
01-18-2012, 10:14 AM
How do you figure? The big money usually kicks in to influence politicians. I.E. Goldmans Sachs being top donor for both Obama and Romney. The big money knows Ron Paul is not for sale so most of it will never be kicking in. This hidden big money talk is nonsense. The CEO of Overstock.com is openly supporting Ron Paul so there you go there's your big money. Any one with big money who is going to support Ron Paul would be doing it now (and some already are, as evident by the SuperPacs) anyone with big money who is waiting to identify a winner to influence is never going to support Ron Paul nor do we want them to.

IMO, we have to either win the nomination or at least come very close to winning the nomination before the "big money" kicks in.

Korey Kaczynski
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
enlighten me please , i am a noob !
whats this gotta do with 2007 ?
was there some people hoping some millionaire would suddenly give Paul a lot of money and then he would be able to have a better campaign ?

Pretty much. Someone said that a billionaire, I think, was a Ron Paul supporter and planned on donating money or influence or something. It's believed it was a supporter trolling us to get our morale raised.

nayjevin
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Pretty much. Someone said that a billionaire, I think, was a Ron Paul supporter and planned on donating money or influence or something. It's believed it was a supporter trolling us to get our morale raised.

Caused alot of irrational behavior, and became red meat for trolls. Many rich people do support Ron Paul, and did provide money and influence. The rich are often more crafty about how they do it though. Often noobs expect a millionaire to just come out and start posting on this forum and being just like the rest of us. It's difficult to explain to those who don't quite understand why that's not always a good idea. But suffice to say I do not believe we would be where we are today without the support and influence of several millionaires and billionaires over the last four years.

WD-NY
01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
No follow up from AlexMerced?? lol

This thread = ridiculous

Alex, take this shit somewhere else if you're not going to respond to people's comments/questions

libertygrl
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Tell them to give some danged money to the campaign and the superPACs then!

LOL. Yeah, that was my first thought. We're all part of the 99% here. We could use some 1% supporter donations ASAP!

Zarn Solen
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Some of you guys need to relax. It is humanly possible for some rich people to support Paul and some to think he has a chance.

AZ Libertarian
01-18-2012, 11:34 AM
This. I don't know why everyone is so anxious for it to be a 2 way race. I think we have a way better chance if it stays a 3 or 4 way race.

DISAGREE.

How will it look in a 2-man debate when Mitt speaks for 45 minutes, then Ron gets 30 seconds to respond?

Get them other fuckers outta the way - let the fun begin!