PDA

View Full Version : Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23-year-old Marine exposes the hypocrisy of our system

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 04:03 PM
http://laist.com/2012/01/17/serial_killer_suspect_charged_with_murder.php

Our government recognizes no rights of the homeless people to be shelter or fed, but when they're killed, they'll waste resources prosecuting the person who killed them. They'll even consider death penalty, which is one of the most expensive and ineffective use of public taxpayer money.

If the government fed, armed, or sheltered these people, they'd not be killed by this man, and they'd prosecute nobody. Now that they're dead, they are nobody's problem, but the state is going to spend more money on the criminal and dead people than they ever would if they simply put the homeless people in either a shelter or low security prison.

The issue I bring up is inefficiency in terms of monetary cost, I suspect many of you will defend the state's position on the basis that justice can't be measured by dollars. It doesn't take a genius to know that homeless people who do not shower, change, groom, are everybody's problem, they sleep in public, they urine or crap where somebody else has to clean up, and they increase the chances of spreading disease. Leaving them alone isn't the best solution, but it's superficially the cheapest, cleaning up isn't fun, but preventing doesn't sound sexy. Where we are, is the worst of all, when these problem people are dead, the state wastes money punishing people who actually did the public a favor, for the lowest cost.

DamianTV
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
There are a lot more homeless people than there used to be. Many of them were Middle Class Families, including children. Others are Veterans. Our government wants to treat just about everyone the system is done with like yesterdays trash, throwing them aside, out on their asses with no means of providing for themselves, and just want to forget about them. But screw the Government for two seconds. What kind of society are we if we allow these people down on their luck to exist in such states without being the ones to lead by example and try to help these people out?

bunklocoempire
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
WTF OP?:confused:

Murdering someone isn't doing me a favor -ever. And forget about all the state "solutions" you offer.

Money = life? State = solutions? never.:mad:

Have I missed something here?

Agorism
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Ya, no reason to bother giving counter arguments this is so dumb.

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 08:04 PM
WTF OP?:confused:

Murdering someone isn't doing me a favor -ever. And forget about all the state "solutions" you offer.

Money = life? State = solutions? never.:mad:

Have I missed something here?

do you have a solution or can you tell me what value they are to you?

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
There are a lot more homeless people than there used to be. Many of them were Middle Class Families, including children. Others are Veterans. Our government wants to treat just about everyone the system is done with like yesterdays trash, throwing them aside, out on their asses with no means of providing for themselves, and just want to forget about them. But screw the Government for two seconds. What kind of society are we if we allow these people down on their luck to exist in such states without being the ones to lead by example and try to help these people out?

many are unemployed because we've either gotten better at being efficient, or they were working a job that's become obsolete, unemployed does not necessarily mean homeless though. What example are you proposing to set, and what solution do you propose to "not let them down on their luck"?

brushfire
01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Are you sure you got the right forum?

So you think that only people with homes have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

I denounce this thread...

moderate libertarian
01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
dumb thread

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Are you sure you got the right forum?

So you think that only people with homes have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

I denounce this thread...

I think only people who pay taxes are entitled to government protection.

FrankRep
01-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Why punish the tax payers?

I'm joking about: "Government Protection"

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Why punish the tax payers?

in what way am I advocating punishing taxpayers?

moderate libertarian
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Oops, posted by mistake.

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Why not support the homeless troops/war heroes and veterans with taxpayers money after they return home from Nam/Iraq/Afghanistan etc?

It's much better use of tax payers money than sending billions every year to foreign parasite welfare states, won't you agree?

how was that not what I said?

If the government fed, armed, or sheltered these people, they'd not be killed by this man, and they'd prosecute nobody. Now that they're dead, they are nobody's problem, but the state is going to spend more money on the criminal and dead people than they ever would if they simply put the homeless people in either a shelter or low security prison.

moderate libertarian
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
dup

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
When did I say that is not what you said? :) That is not to say that you said that, I'm jut saying I never said that you did not say that.

troll, why did you ask "why not" unless you think I disagreed with you?

squarepusher
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
http://twilight.ponychan.net/chan/art/src/132264789519.gif

brushfire
01-17-2012, 09:10 PM

In order to protect our rights, we must protect their rights. If you want to attack government spending, I'm sure there's at least 1 or 2 other places you can find wasteful spending.

Cutlerzzz
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
If we kill everyone in poverty, we can become the first society to ever conquer it!

onlyrp
01-17-2012, 09:23 PM
In order to protect our rights, we must protect their rights. If you want to attack government spending, I'm sure there's at least 1 or 2 other places you can find wasteful spending.

there's plenty, and this is hardly the biggest one, but I don't ignore it.