PDA

View Full Version : Reporting back from the Ron Paul rally in Spartanburg, SC

georgia_tech_swagger
01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Despite being during a workday with only 16 hours notice, it was a capacity crowd in half a large hotel ballroom. The event started with an introduction by Dr. Vasovski that included him reading the Golden Rule straight out of the Bible and a raucous applause.

Here's the real crazy thing ... international press damned near outnumbered United States press, and there were alot of press there. All the local TV affiliates except WLOS (ABC, Asheville, NC) was there. WYFF, WSPA, and Fox were all rolling. There were lots of blogger types. But there was a HUGE number of international press. There was the BBC, British newspapers, French newspapers, Swedish newspapers, German newspapers. It was unreal. I was interviewed by a Swedish newspaper and I asked her why the international press were doing a better job than our own press here in covering our election. She said her newspaper was inundated with requests to report on Ron Paul, and that their readers said they all wanted more Ron Paul. AWESOME!!! A chic with a French newspaper said alot of the same.

Even better ... leaving the rally "East Bound and Down" by Jerry Reed was on the radio. What an appropriate song right now for Ron Paul in SC.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'
a'we gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm east bound just watch ol'Bandit run

UK4Paul
01-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the report!

nasaal
Was it just Paul supporters cheering wildly? Or did some undecideds show up and end up supporting?

sailingaway
+rep!

I caught the end of it on CNN but you couldn't get a feel for the crowd!

Thanks!

sailingaway
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Was it just Paul supporters cheering wildly? Or did some undecideds show up and end up supporting?

that is the problem with 16 hours notice. It is harder to get people who aren't watching our sites. But there should be news coverage they will see.

georgia_tech_swagger
01-17-2012, 02:29 PM

It was pretty much Ron Paul supporters given the short notice. You could have had a fairly respectable runway show with the variety of Ron Paul apparel on display. It was that serious of an already decided crowd.

jsem
01-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Man, I can't wait to get a hold of the papers tomorrow to see if any Swedish press reports on RP!

Paul Fan
01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
It would be great if the freedom message spreads overseas!

european
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
I was interviewed by a Swedish newspaper and I asked her why the international press were doing a better job than our own press here in covering our election. She said her newspaper was inundated with requests to report on Ron Paul, and that their readers said they all wanted more Ron Paul. AWESOME!!! A chic with a French newspaper said alot of the same.

Ya bet ya! Ron Paul is the man.

swissaustrian
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
German media (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) basicly shifted their RP coverage from ignorance to "racist, kooky, fringe, quitoxic" and now to "cultish, idealistisc, radical". It is a very interesting process to watch. The comments sections on German websites show a different picture: PEOPLE ARE WAKING UP.

MrTudo
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
I would really like to see an Al Jazeera interview with Dr Paul. The scumbags would say negative things about it as traitors usually do but good people would see how the middle east views Dr Paul and that would be a big plus

szczebrzeszyn
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
German media (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) basicly shifted their RP coverage from ignorance to "racist, kooky, fringe, quitoxic" and now to "cultish, idealistisc, radical". It is a very interesting process to watch. The comments sections on German websites show a different picture: PEOPLE ARE WAKING UP.

Similar process in Poland - 2nd place in NH made him much more respectable here (by the press, that is). Comments were quite positive even 4 years ago, when it was a total RP blackout.

BUSHLIED
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Tons of Ron Paul meetups all over the world.!!

bunklocoempire
01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Despite being during a workday with only 16 hours notice, it was a capacity crowd in half a large hotel ballroom. The event started with an introduction by Dr. Vasovski that included him reading the Golden Rule straight out of the Bible and a raucous applause.

Here's the real crazy thing ... international press damned near outnumbered United States press, and there were alot of press there. All the local TV affiliates except WLOS (ABC, Asheville, NC) was there. WYFF, WSPA, and Fox were all rolling. There were lots of blogger types. But there was a HUGE number of international press. There was the BBC, British newspapers, French newspapers, Swedish newspapers, German newspapers. It was unreal. I was interviewed by a Swedish newspaper and I asked her why the international press were doing a better job than our own press here in covering our election. She said her newspaper was inundated with requests to report on Ron Paul, and that their readers said they all wanted more Ron Paul. AWESOME!!! A chic with a French newspaper said alot of the same.

Even better ... leaving the rally "East Bound and Down" by Jerry Reed was on the radio. What an appropriate song right now for Ron Paul in SC.

Thank you very much for your report! + rep.

International is good.:)

http://s6.postimage.org/ux8q5sl81/international.jpg

JohnGalt23g
01-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Just put that hammer down and give 'em Hell!!

puppetmaster
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Global Spring!

Badger Paul
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
"HUGE number of international press"

I think the foreign press is interested in Paul because he is different and because of his young base of support as possibility of the future in American politics.

swissaustrian
01-17-2012, 04:45 PM
"HUGE number of international press"

I think the foreign press is interested in Paul because he is different and because of his young base of support as possibility of the future in American politics.
Most of them do it for ratings imho. If their customers urge them to cover RP, they will. They're not deciding US elections, so they don't care about giving him coverage which might increase his support.
Some foreign media has a political agenda, though:
RT (Russian mouthpiece) and PressTV (Iranian mouthpiece) are supporting him for obvious reasons: They don't like American imperialism.

georgia_tech_swagger
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Press coverage:
http://video.goupstate.com/

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=SJ&Date=20120117&Category=PHOTOS05&ArtNo=117009996&Ref=PH

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/16537261/paul-touts-state-rights-picks-up-upstate-endorsement

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/jan/17/paul-leaves-sc-campaign-trail-vote-debt-ceiling-ar-3062561/

http://www.wyff4.com/politics/30233973/detail.html

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20120117/NEWS03/301170044

Tinnuhana
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Japan news is calling Ron a leader of the tea party since Iowa. it's encouraging the academic anarcho-capitalists to come out of the woodwork and take a stand.