PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry Turkey reacts to Rick Perry's terrorist accusation

donnay
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Turkey reacts to Rick Perry's terrorist accusation
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_TURKEY_RICK_PERRY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-01-17-12-21-28

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) -- U.S. Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry drew Turkey's ire on Tuesday after suggesting the country is ruled by Islamic terrorists and questioning its NATO membership.

Turkey's Foreign Ministry released a scathing statement saying Perry's comments were "baseless and inappropriate" and that the U.S. has no time to waste with candidates "who do not even know their allies."

Perry, the Texas governor whose candidacy briefly soared when he entered the race in August but whose shine faded after a series of weak debate performances, said Turkey was ruled by "what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists" and questioned the country's NATO membership.

Athan
01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I think Perry went completely off the deep end.

MyEyesTheyBurn
01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I think Perry went completely off the deep end.This.

Created4
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Turkey reacts to Rick Perry's terrorist accusation
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_TURKEY_RICK_PERRY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-01-17-12-21-28

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) -- U.S. Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry drew Turkey's ire on Tuesday after suggesting the country is ruled by Islamic terrorists and questioning its NATO membership.

Turkey's Foreign Ministry released a scathing statement saying Perry's comments were "baseless and inappropriate" and that the U.S. has no time to waste with candidates "who do not even know their allies."

Perry, the Texas governor whose candidacy briefly soared when he entered the race in August but whose shine faded after a series of weak debate performances, said Turkey was ruled by "what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists" and questioned the country's NATO membership.

I was livid over these remarks last night. Turkey is the most stable democracy in the Middle East, and our bases have been there almost forever. But Turkey should not only object to Perry's comments, but also Brett Beir's comments about women. I am quite certain those were inaccurate stats, and I have no idea why Fox wanted to drag Turkey into this debate. There hasn't been a military coup there since 1979. Very stable country, and very religious people.

Aratus
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
there goes nato and more than a half century of treaties

donnay
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Maybe he didn't have quite as many whiskeys under his belt for last night's debate--fogs the brain even more. :D

No Free Beer
01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
This is my point. These other countries are listening to what these morons are saying.

When you have Newt Gingrich going up there and saying he will overthrow the Iranian regime, THEY ARE LISTENING!

Everyone but Paul are just immature.

I can't wait until all of this is over.

America, wake up!

specsaregood
01-17-2012, 02:11 PM

I think his programmers just kept shoveling more and more neocon propaganda into his brain implant until they exceeded its capacity even with compression. They tried to remove it but part of the encryption password was lost during the confrontation with Dr. Paul at the Reagan library debate and they haven't been able to locate a psychic navy dolphin to recover the password, remove the information and return him to normal operations yet.

MsDoodahs
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Did Perry get thunderous applause for that comment?

Krugerrand
01-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Going off the deep end implies one had some sanity and lost it. Bachmann went off the deep end. Perry is dumber than a box of rocks - always has been, always will be. The more he talks the more evident it becomes.

GrahamUK
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Didn't Turkey also send forces to help during the conflict with N.Korea .... Pretty certain my Grandad who was there with the British Army on national service talked of Turkish troops being there

brushfire
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/rick-perry-gop-debate-video-oops-240x180.jpg

phill4paul
01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Maybe he didn't have quite as many whiskeys under his belt for last night's debate--fogs the brain even more. :D

One up-manship: "So Santorum over there is gonna bomb Iran? I'll take his one Iran and through in a Turkey. Now we're talkin'"

Brown Sapper
01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I find it really sad that he would piss off Turkey with a reckless comment like this. Whether you agree with the war or not they have been a great ally. Pivotal spots of our missile defense system as well as our base in Incrilik is there. There government is secular at worst. Every time they sway to one side or the other, they revolt.

jasonxe
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Well to be fair, Bret Douche Bair setup to the question probably drew Perry's reaction. To much propaganda in that damn debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDBTut1nIrY

bunklocoempire
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
If Turkey is ruled by Islamic terrorists as Perry suggests, I'd really like to hear his take on France and NATO.

'Freedom fries' anyone?

His underpants are obviously too tight resulting in restricted blood flow to his brain. He should drop out and get some help for that.

Delivered4000
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Never go full Rick Perry

swissaustrian
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Well to be fair, Bret Douche Bair setup to the question probably drew Perry's reaction. To much propaganda in that damn debate.
The Turkey question is all about their problems with Israel.

EaSy
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
"Press freedom has declined to the level of Russia." LOL. Story by Fox News.

vita3
01-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Perry's a Nutball.

If we lost truly lost alliance w/ Turkey's military & a broad ME war broke-out, we would be holding a losing hand.

donnay
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM

These politicians always use the phrase: "In our best interest--blah, blah" And it is in our best interest to mind our own business--period!

I hope the Turkish people understand that when these madmen get up and speak, they do not represent the whole of our country!!

donnay
01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
The Turkey question is all about their problems with Israel.

Yet Turkey just like Iran have Jews that live in their countries peaceably.

Over 30,000 Jews live in Iran
Over 20,000 Jews live in Turkey

jmdrake
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
It's too bad this wasn't a slip up by Romney, Gingrich or Santorum. Perry's already a has-been candidate.

LawnWake
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Haha, if Turkey were to be run by any terrorists, it would be Turkish terrorists. If there's one thing Turks identify with more than being Muslims, it's being Turkish and they're really into the seperation of church and state. Atatürk is probably bigger than Muhammed.

God.. Perry.

Bruno
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Interview with Perry and and Blitz on this topic coming up next on CNN.

swissaustrian
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Yet Turkey just like Iran have Jews that live in their countries peaceably.

Over 30,000 Jews live in Iran
Over 20,000 Jews live in Turkey
Yep. If people only realized that.
It's probably too much to expect a neocon to distinguish between Judaism and Zionism :(

AngryCanadian
01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Did Perry get thunderous applause for that comment?
Yes he did and cheers too. a Sick Crowd.

LawnWake
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
I can just imagine all of these candidates sitting in their dressing room pre-debate trying to think of another country in the Middle East inhabited by brown Muslims that they can bomb. Perry pacing through his room, open collar, wild hair, furiously trying to open his tic-tacs container while dropping it and its contents all over the floor. "Calm the hell down!" his campaign manager said, "we can do this, we CAN think of another country in the Middle East to bomb. Just one. We've made the mistaking of listing 3 things before and we both know how it ended". Perry, trying to get himself together, was reminded of another stressful event in his recent memory, "Boy, this reminds me of that one Thanksgiving where I..". His campaign manager jumped out of his chair, "say that again?". "Thanksgiving?" Perry asked, "what about it?". "TURKEY YOU IDIOT. WE CAN BOMB TURKEY!" Perry and his campaign manager danced excitedly thing through the room. Feeling like they had already won the debate.

What followed after the debate was probably Newt Gingrich doubting his credentials as an intellectual and historian, while Santorum started writing his concession speech because he was incapable of thinking of such a genius idea. Romney as always, was aloof of what even happened and was trying to find another way to make himself look like a filthy rich ass trying to connect with your average guy (and failing miserably of course).

Yep, pretty sure that's how it happened.

torchbearer
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I think his programmers just kept shoveling more and more neocon propaganda into his brain implant until they exceeded its capacity even with compression. They tried to remove it but part of the encryption password was lost during the confrontation with Dr. Paul at the Reagan library debate and they haven't been able to locate a psychic navy dolphin to recover the password, remove the information and return him to normal operations yet.

ever seen "the men who stare at goats"? we need a new earth army.

MJU1983
01-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Interview with Perry and and Blitz on this topic coming up next on CNN.

Glenn Greenwald Tweeted (https://twitter.com/#!/ggreenwald/status/159429448670789634):

Rick Perry actually achieved the impossible: he made Wolf Blitzer look smart http://youtu.be/aOF3FP8akU0

Rincewind
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The secular Turkish state is one of the monumental achievements of the 20th century.

Why are we attacking one of the best allies we have over there, and yet we seem to love the Saudis?

Yeesh, next thing you know Newt Gingrich is going to insult Jordan or something. That's the last thing we need.

kylejack
01-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Baier fibbing again. Turkey threatened not to attack Israel, but to defend their ships if Israel attempts to board in international waters again.

Rincewind
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
What's really a mystery is why Israel insists on occasionally pissing off the only couple of countries in the middle east who want anything to do with them.

HOLLYWOOD
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
PERRY, "Remember The Alamo, Uh, Armenians, Uh, I don't have a clue about US AID and US Bases in Turkey. I haven't a clue on Foreign policy accuracies... I'm just a Broke-Back Cowboy masquerading as a politician."

Dropout Derp Distraction

John F Kennedy III
01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Going off the deep end implies one had some sanity and lost it. Bachmann went off the deep end. Perry is dumber than a box of rocks - always has been, always will be. The more he talks the more evident it becomes.

This.

Giuliani was there on 911
01-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Never go full Rick Perrylol

d991
01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
All the other candidates other than Paul pissed me off in the debate last night, but Perry's comments on Turkey were the most unbelievable. I'm still trying to understand if Perry was making "intelligent" (for him) statements that he actually believed (which would be insane,) or if he was totally confused about what country he was talking about and just went with it.
Most Muslims I know consider Turkey to be a great example of an Islamic-like democracy. They are not overly theocratic like in other countries, but their laws and policies to have Islamic undertones. Yes, the government there is Islamic, but that's like saying the government of the U.S. is Christian. Of course it is Islamic - that's what majority of the people in Turkey are. I don't get why Islamic countries can't have Muslims as leaders. If that's the will of the people there it just makes sense.

ZENemy
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Never go full Rick Perry

HAHAH!!

Very underrated scene from Tropical Thunder

Athan
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
ever seen "the men who stare at goats"? we need a new earth army.
Yeah, I did. And no we don't. Jedi? Yes. New Earth Army... oh god.