PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: maverick who could decide the future of the Republican party

bobbyw24
01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2012/1/17/1326806854820/Ron-Paul-illustration-007.jpg
The 76-year-old libertarian has secured a seat at the high table of US presidential hopefuls, but his rise is causing reverberations

Ron Paul's uncompromising libertarianism is redefining the Republican party. Illustration: Alexander Wells for the Guardian

The crowd strained forward as the lights dimmed, a sea of smartphones trained on the stage. Whoops and cheers turned to screams of delight as a gaunt-looking figure mounted the steps and slowly approached the microphone.

This wasn't a rock star or the latest teen idol as you might have expected from the almost universally young gathering. This was 76-year-old Ron Paul, the spidery libertarian from Texas, shuffling towards the podium, his shoulders hunched, head bowed, eyes squinting in the spotlight.

"President Paul! President Paul!" came the chants as he peered out at 500 supporters crammed into a hot, sweaty New Hampshire function room. It was election night in New Hampshire and Paul was celebrating an achievement he has worked for tirelessly for almost 25 years. He had finally secured a seat at the high table of presidential hopefuls by coming in a solid second – a feat that had eluded him in two previous runs for the White House.

So how would he mark this turning point: would he deliver a tub-thumping call to arms in the mould of Teddy Roosevelt? Or would he be smoothly triumphant like Ronald Reagan?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/17/ron-paul-profile-maverick-libertarian

ShaneEnochs
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Moore, who now works as a consultant, puts Paul's success partly down to the fact that voters think he is genuine. "He doesn't deal in cute soundbites or deliver stump speeches. His idea of preparing for a speech is to write three words on an envelope and then go out there and talk for 50 minutes."

He's so freaking boss.

bobbyw24
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
He's so freaking boss.

indeed

wgadget
01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Great article.

bobbyw24
01-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Great article.

Good way to start the morning

Dsylexic
01-18-2012, 05:52 AM
the NH speech was watched by millions around the world, i assume.that speech did us more good than any of the great debate moments

Dsylexic
01-18-2012, 05:54 AM
"conservative economists".
smear.SAY CLASSICAL LIBERALS.

bobbyw24
01-18-2012, 05:54 AM
the NH speech was watched by millions around the world, i assume.that speech did us more good than any of the great debate moments

I agree-that speech was epic

Dsylexic
01-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Paul proposes free trade, but has voted against free trade agreements such as Nafta :rolleyes:
mainstream liberal media is BAFFLED when the Patriot act is not about patriotism and FTA is not about free trade and Dept of education is not about education. SHEEP

bobbyw24
01-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Paul proposes free trade, but has voted against free trade agreements such as Nafta :rolleyes:
mainstream liberal media is BAFFLED when the Patriot act is not about patriotism and FTA is not about free trade and Dept of education is not about education. SHEEP

Well stated

Mattsa
01-18-2012, 06:20 AM
I spotted this piece in The Guardian yesterday

Odd, because The Guardian is the paper most favoured by the liberal left in the UK. It's quite a fair article.

By contrast, The Telegraph, which is supposedly the UK newspaper favoured by conservatives, only mentions Ron Paul with scorn and ridicule. All the journos who write about US politics, Alex Spillius, Toby Harnden, Niles Gardiner, Jon Swaine and Tim Stanley are very dismissive or simply don't mention him at all. Harnden is particulary awful but he recently left the Telegraph to write tosh for the Daily Mail. Tim Stanley is the only Telegraph journalist with a good word to say about Ron Paul.

So, I was quite surprised to read this profile of Ron Paul in the Guardian.

I sense the British establishment is extremely worried about libertarian ideas getting a foothold in the national psyche which is why British journalists are being instructed by the their editorial controllers not to write about him.

William R
01-18-2012, 06:45 AM
bump

bobbyw24
01-18-2012, 06:46 AM
I sense the British establishment is extremely worried about libertarian ideas getting a foothold in the national psyche which is why British journalists are being instructed by the their editorial controllers not to write about him.

Bingo

febo
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Did someone say maverick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbzQbbBvgA&feature=related

bobbyw24
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Did someone say maverick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbzQbbBvgA&feature=related

Classic