PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich Says He May Stay in Race Even if Romney Takes S.C.

bobbyw24
01-17-2012, 07:22 AM
By Julia Edwards
Updated: January 17, 2012 | 8:01 a.m.
January 17, 2012 | 7:42 a.m.

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich said on CBS This Morning on Tuesday that he will likely not drop out of the race should front-runner Mitt Romney win the state’s primary on Saturday. The deciding factor, Gingrich said, will be Romney’s margin of victory.

“If he’s at 25 or 30 [percent], we’re still in a serious race,” Gingrich said. “If he gets up to 40 or 45, you have to be realistic.”

But Gingrich said he “didn’t see any evidence” that Romney would sweep the state. Last week, Gingrich said Romney would be the likely nominee if he wins South Carolina.

Gingrich on Tuesday defended his demand for Romney to release his income tax records, which, during Monday night's debate, Romney said he would "probably" do in April. But, Gingrich said, April will be too late for Republican voters who need to know now if Romney has anything to hide.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/gingrich-says-he-may-stay-in-race-even-if-romney-takes-s-c--20120117

CaptUSA
01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Of course Gingrich won't drop out. He seriously believes that once Perry and Santorum drop out, he will have a clear shot to the nomination. His main goal is to get those guys to drop out without turning off their supporters.

The thing he doesn't understand, though, is that their supporters have already given Gingrich a good look and don't like what they see. They see someone who cannot win a general election. They see a sleazy poltician. They see someone who will do and say anything it takes to get power - even if it means going against every principle republicans espouse.

He wants to put the distaste for Romney up against the distaste for himself. That's not a winning strategy. Still doesn't mean he won't pursue it.

FreedomProsperityPeace
01-17-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm surprised he's even considering getting out. Given his revenge campaign against Romney and free daily coverage on Fox, I'd expect him to stay in past Florida.

bluesc
01-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Good. Hopefully it will lead to a brokered convention and through Newt's hate for Romney, Ron can cut a deal with Romney for Rand as VP at the very least.

I'm only saying that because the campaign appears to be aiming for a brokered convention now, and there's no way Ron will come out of a brokered convention as the nominee.

matt0611
01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I figured he would. I think Perry and/or Santorum may exit after South Carolina.

The Grinch will stay until Florida at least.

Aratus
01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
he's in it to win it.
newt has an EGO!