PDA

View Full Version : I am asking each of you - please run for office. (Local, State, Federal)

MrAustin
01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
If not us, then who?

Prepare yourselves.
Situate yourself financially.
Study history.
Study the constitution.
Learn the political process.
Learn how to lead people.
Learn how to talk with people.
Learn to speak in front of a crowd.
Learn to raise money.

I recognize and respect this is a very personal decision. I'm asking each of you to personally consider it, as am I.

bluesc
01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Yes!

At the very least, get involved in your local GOP. Attend meetings. Speak out (in Republican language). Local and state GOP chairmen have a lot of power too.

Find competitive seats, get a good amount of $$ pledged, build name ID for up to a year before, meet the editorial board of local newspapers a few times, and then announce.

Son of Detroit
01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
I definitely will in ~10 years. I plan to take the Justin Amash route:

University of Michigan undergrad => University of Michigan Law School => Michigan state house => U.S Congress by the time I'm 31.

If he can do it, why can't I?

hueylong
01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Happy to help anyone who is thinking of running for office.

Javu
01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
The seeds have been planted. The revolution will occur 20 years from now when the old wither and the youth become the new old.

neverseen
01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Prepare yourselves.
-working on it.

-situated

Study history.
Study the constitution.
-working on it. Hate reading, doing the best i can.

-check

-check

-check

Learn to raise money.
More reading :/

I recognize and respect this a very personal decision. I'm asking each of you to personally consider it, as am I.
-I've been getting pushed a bit locally to step up to the plate for anything. I'm almost convinced i need to.

Paulistinian
01-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I want to in Santa Rosa, California but I'm not quite sure how to get started...

PineGroveDave
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
I have been attending and speaking out at the local Board of Supervisors meetings. A local organization is suggesting I run for a seat and may be willing to fund me.

MrAustin
01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I definitely will in ~10 years. I plan to take the Justin Amash route:

University of Michigan undergrad => University of Michigan Law School => Michigan state house => U.S Congress by the time I'm 31.

If he can do it, why can't I?

Outstanding! I'm in AZ, but moving to idaho in a few years. That's where I'm going to start my 'political career' if my wife and I decide it's the right thing for us.

truthsaga
01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Half-way there. Working Station Engineer for 8 Years, now a Chief Station Engineer for a big time hotel franchise. I am 27 and in charge of Million Dollars with of capital equipment and property. Have returned to school for economics degree from very friendly free market econ department.

dbill27
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Sure, can I borrow a hundred k?

truthsaga
01-16-2012, 11:08 PM
I want to in Santa Rosa, California but I'm not quite sure how to get started... Your From USMESSAGE and you live right down the street from me brother, drop me a PM.

MrAustin
01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Prepare yourselves.
-working on it.

-situated

Study history.
Study the constitution.
-working on it. Hate reading, doing the best i can.

-check

-check

-check

Learn to raise money.
More reading :/

I recognize and respect this a very personal decision. I'm asking each of you to personally consider it, as am I.
-I've been getting pushed a bit locally to step up to the plate for anything. I'm almost convinced i need to.

Awesome!!!! Thank you for considering this.

MrAustin
01-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Sure, can I borrow a hundred k?

Sure!! If you all vote for me, I will make sure everyone gets free loans no matter what yor credit history is.

MrAustin
01-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Google, wikipedia...

Carehn
01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
I want to in Santa Rosa, California but I'm not quite sure how to get started...
Get involved with the most powerful political party in the area. The party doesn't matter just don't let them know your a Ron Paul guy. and donate time to the party. Then when they bring up elections in a meeting say you would like to run for said position. If (unlike me) you have not had any political outbursts in the party they may back you and you could win. Once in you work your way up and run on your record.

JWRIDDLER
01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm 25 right now and trying to get into medical school. I plan on serving in the Navy or Airforce as a Orthopedic Surgeon then someday running for Congress...In 10-15 years there will be an enormous wave of mini-Ron Pauls running for public office on all levels...

TheOnlyJustCause4505
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
IVe thought about it, but I have a dui. Also, Im in Missouri -- the miac report and all.

Kandilynn
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
I would like to run at sometime in the future. Also, my husband may run for office at some point after we get ourselves financially situated and finish school. For now, I'm going to be very careful in my selections for state and local government and support those that I believe will help to promote the cause of liberty.

Luieburger
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
I totally agree! I'm planning on running for state office this year. Might win, might not. Who knows.

jax
01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I've been thinking about it too but I don't really have any credentials. Seems like every person in washington is a lawyer. I can't afford law school. I need to look into local stuff. Problem is, I live in maryland which is the most liberal state in the union. Any tips?

mport1
01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I'll definitely support any good liberty candidates that run. Unfortunately I likely could never win anything because of my radical anarchist background. That would be dug up and I wouldn't have a chance.

AlexAmore
01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm gonna be seriously considering this. Right now I'm in the process of financially situating myself starting a business and then outsourcing a lot of it. Then I'm gonna simply network with a bunch of Paul supporters and go from there. Anyone who thinks it'll be too challenging, well yeah it inherently is a tough process, BUT you have Ron Paul supporters on your side. That's one helluva weapon.

Luieburger
01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Problem is, I live in maryland which is the most liberal state in the union. Any tips?

Run as a Democrat? Doesn't matter what ticket you run on as long as you are in one of the two big parties. There's no difference between the parties. Your stance on most issues will be viewed the same by both of them. Some good, some bad.

JoshS
01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
It's a long term goal of mine. I'm going into the Navy and learning nuclear sciences, so I'll have the military background. I think I'll have a good shot by the time I'm 35+.

Uriah
01-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I've been entertaining the idea. How does a college drop out go about getting elected though?

JoshS
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
It doesn't happen, politics is dirty and someone will smear you on it to keep their cushy job.

heavenlyboy34
01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm too honest and blunt to be a politician. ;)

01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
I've been entertaining the idea. How does a college drop out go about getting elected though?

You don't mention it.

In Iowa, where legislative districts are in the 30-40,000 population range, you have a much better chance of getting elected to state office than in, say, Texas, where legislative districts are north of 150,000 people.

cjm
01-17-2012, 12:41 AM

You didn't drop out. You suspended your studies to pursue other opportunities. If the right circumstances present themselves, you will consider returning to finish the degree.

Icymudpuppy
01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Thought about it. Tested the water a little, realized nobody will donate. Fuck it.

MrAustin
01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
I see us changing the whole process (over time) first at the local and state level, and hopefully not too long after at the federal level. Our movement is large enough now that we are a force to be reckoned with. There will be resistance, but with the backing of the newly awakened generation of liberty-minded Americans, we can inflitrate the corrupt system. Many current politicians with good intentions (who are sort of trapped and controlled by the system) will also start to take a stand for liberty once they see it is becoming more safe.

Perhaps I am naiive, but I am just a lowly teacher, and I don't feel that will keep me from having a successful political career if I decide to make that move. There are not many legal pre-requisites to run for most positions of public office. Usually just age and citizenship. The way I see it, it's time to take our country back - not just by voting, but by running it too! That's how it was meant to be. Of the people (the regular people), by the people, and for the people. Not by the elite, of the elite, and for the elite.

If we are intimidated by those running the show (even at the local levels) then we are fighting this battle in vain, because we have already lost the war.

The only obstacles are in our minds and in other people's minds. And those obstacles can be dealt with if we are determined, focused, and united in the cause of liberty.

MrAustin
01-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Thought about it. Tested the water a little, realized nobody will donate. Fuck it.

Thanks for trying. Better than I have done to this point. What else did you learn in the process?

dskalkowski
01-17-2012, 01:09 AM
If you want to earn money, stick around with the Revolution.. I myself always contribuite to candidates standing up for liberty, and I know others always dump in a little bit aswell.

But raising money is the toughest part, studies have shown it could take up to a million dollars to get a House seat in large states.

Icymudpuppy
01-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks for trying. Better than I have done to this point. What else did you learn in the process?

Research past elections for the office your running for. Do your principles allow you to perform the job? Do you stand a chance? How much did it take for the last winner to win and Can you get people to pledge at least 10% of that? If the answer to any of these is No, better to stay away.

Ive come to think that political office should be more like jury duty. Random selection, then a vetting process by constituents, you serve one term no longer than 1 year and no shorter than 1 month. Once you have served in any office, you can never serve in the same position again.

TheTexan
01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Ive come to think that political office should be more like jury duty. Random selection, then a vetting process by constituents, you serve one term no longer than 1 year and no shorter than 1 month. Once you have served in any office, you can never serve in the same position again.

In a big government such as the one we have, that would help. Proportional representation would be good too.

Of course, we wouldn't need either of those if we just had a constitutionally limited government. Sigh.

KingRobbStark
01-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Is it possible for a 20 year old to go to school and for office?

LadyBastiat
01-17-2012, 01:51 AM
I would love to accept but in my case I've got just a few too many skeletons I'd like to stay locked away right where they are. Actually nothing really "earth shattering" but I sure as hell don't want the media sifting through my personal life.

DealzOnWheelz
01-17-2012, 01:52 AM

Same here

You didn't drop out. You suspended your studies to pursue other opportunities. If the right circumstances present themselves, you will consider returning to finish the degree.

Ah the power of perception and proper marketing

Isn't Ron Paul too honest to be a politician? No he is a Statesman, I have sometimes felt the same way but everyday I am thinking more and more about joining politics

RabbitMan
01-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the inspiration! I agree with someone else who posted, you HAVE to work within the party apparatus. Going it alone is a set up for being demoralized and feeling alone. If someone brings up a skeleton, so what, speak the truth and you'll win in the end! Or at least have fun doing it. :P

giovannile07
01-17-2012, 02:04 AM
I would love to, but I'm only eighteen, so I don't think there's any positions for an 18 year old and I'm afraid that I won't understand everything that would come to me if I ran...

01-17-2012, 02:07 AM
If you want to earn money, stick around with the Revolution.. I myself always contribuite to candidates standing up for liberty, and I know others always dump in a little bit aswell.

But raising money is the toughest part, studies have shown it could take up to a million dollars to get a House seat in large states.

Here in Texas, it's more than that. But a strong liberty candidate with $500,000 could do pretty well if they campaigned hard. It's about meeting people.

Texas has a long, long list of congressmen who simply are not real conservatives, much less constitutionalists. There are few "good" congressmen here.

You've got Ron, you've got Randy Neugebauer who is pretty solid, and Louie Gohmert, Ted Poe isn't bad, the list is fairly short though.

jcannon98188
01-17-2012, 02:08 AM
I plan on it! I am 19 now, but as soon as I hit 25 I plan to make my first House of Representatives run. Its funny. Part of me hopes that Ron Paul gets elected, but if he does than my message of freedom and liberty won't be anything new in 6 years :D

bluesc
01-17-2012, 02:09 AM
I would love to, but I'm only eighteen, so I don't think there's any positions for an 18 year old and I'm afraid that I won't understand everything that would come to me if I ran...

Join the local GOP, attend meetings, get to know people in the party and local media, study the issues, and position yourself well. You have a huge head start and if you're politically smart, you will be asked by the GOP to run for a seat.

Learn from Ron's mistakes, learn from Rand's successes.

Spanky
01-17-2012, 02:35 AM
2032 or 2036 I'm running for President under Paul's campaign (a little stronger), Congress before then. Right now going for my undergrad in Finance/Accounting, then hopefully my MBA and a Masters in Finance

mmadness
01-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Can't believe we got to Page 5 off this thread without mentioning DELEGATES! :)

If you want to be involved with politics, then what better way than to get involved as a delegate for Ron Paul? That way, you can make a difference IN THIS ELECTION, meet the people involved with the party, as well as learn how to lead, organize and how the party processes work.

Many people who are now in office started out as delegates. You don't need any special degrees, you just need to take the time and get involved.

So for those of you who don't know about the delegate process, it is something we MUST do to ensure that Ron has a fighting chance at the nomination. Please see the stickied Delegates thread in Grassroots Central, or the first link in my signature.

realtonygoodwin
01-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Once my enlistment is over, I plan to get very involved in local politics wherever I end up living (probably /hopefully. Colorado Springs) If I can't find an outstanding candidate to help get elected, I suppose I will have to do it myself.

jcannon98188
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
2032 or 2036 I'm running for President under Paul's campaign (a little stronger), Congress before then. Right now going for my undergrad in Finance/Accounting, then hopefully my MBA and a Masters in Finance

Sorry Spanky, I am going to be running in 2032 AND 2036 and fully plan to win BOTH times. Perhaps you can run in 2040? :D

priest_of_syrinx
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm a music performance major, and I plan on attending graduate school to get a doctorate and become a professor. This doesn't leave much room for public office.

[waits for another forum member to push me toward public office/away from music]

DealzOnWheelz
01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm a music performance major, and I plan on attending graduate school to get a doctorate and become a professor. This doesn't leave much room for public office.

[waits for another forum member to push me toward public office/away from music]

Ron Paul was a Doctor and had time to be a congressman. The only thing fair in this world is we each have the same 24 hours a day, SLEEP LESS & DO NOT STOP MOVING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

ZanZibar
01-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Only run if you can either cause signifigant pain to the establishment, or if you see a path to victory.

GeorgiaAvenger
01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Check out the 2012 Candidates section

Keith and stuff
01-17-2012, 08:13 PM
This thread is great. If you want to be a State Rep, here you go :)
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?471-How-to-Become-a-Pro-liberty-State-Representative

Okie RP fan
01-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Revive this thread in about five years. Then ten...

virginiakid
01-17-2012, 08:35 PM
I think everyone should run for office if they can. Yea, it is hard to take out the establishment, but if done right, it can be done. Running as an independent is extremely tough because of you not having a good base of supporters. You almost need a hot topic issue that you can use against them. If the liberty movement wins the state houses, they will win the country. Winning state offices is where it's at. Yes, run for federal office to, but if you win your own back yard, you will have a lot of support for the constitution.

Jingles
01-17-2012, 09:44 PM
In future (years from now) I plan on trying to do such a thing. I am rather to young to do so at the moment (21) and I want a good amount of job experience/college degree experience under my belt to help give credibility. As much as I love the ideas of liberty and feel that is enough to elect someone the average person in the public doesn't...

SaulPaulinsky
01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Jingles, living in Blacksburg, depending on how your wards/districts/etc. are drawn, your age may not be the detractor you think.

I live in a college town and we have two city council people that are fresh out of college, and a state senator that is barely out of it as well.

If VTech is anything like most colleges in the country, there's a significant amount of support for libertarians and libertarian Republicans like Ron Paul. Not pushing you to do something you don't want to do, but if you do want to do it, don't let your age detract!

And I wouldn't hesitate to get involved in the Republican party rather than trying to go it alone as an independent. There's a reason Ron Paul's doing it! We have a very libertarian council member -- not one of the college-aged people -- that is a tea party republican but yet holds libertarian ideals. Takes all kinds!

Good luck to you!

Jingles
01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Jingles, living in Blacksburg, depending on how your wards/districts/etc. are drawn, your age may not be the detractor you think.

I live in a college town and we have two city council people that are fresh out of college, and a state senator that is barely out of it as well.

If VTech is anything like most colleges in the country, there's a significant amount of support for libertarians and libertarian Republicans like Ron Paul. Not pushing you to do something you don't want to do, but if you do want to do it, don't let your age detract!

And I wouldn't hesitate to get involved in the Republican party rather than trying to go it alone as an independent. There's a reason Ron Paul's doing it! We have a very libertarian council member -- not one of the college-aged people -- that is a tea party republican but yet holds libertarian ideals. Takes all kinds!

Good luck to you!

After college I intend to move directly back to Northeast PA (Family/property reasons) or to NH for the FreeStateProject. I understand what you are saying, but that isn't the way I'm heading/planning my life.

Keith and stuff
01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Revive this thread in about five years. Then ten...

That is smart but why wait? People that are generally libertarian are already 1/3 of the Republican State Reps in NH and about 1/4 of the total State Reps in NH. Pro-liberty people are not only accepted but welcomed into the Republican Party in NH. They love libertarians here. The time is now, at least in NH.

justinjj
01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
I started at the bottom, I became a GOP precinct chairman in Texas and would have became a county delegate to the state convention in 2010. I quickly realized that I fucking that the GOP and almost everybody in it, at a local and national level. But hey, more power to you if you can stomach it.

redmod79
01-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I've been thinking about it, but I can't help but think my atheism will be unnecessarily made an issue.

Keith and stuff
01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
After college I intend to move directly back to Northeast PA (Family/property reasons) or to NH for the FreeStateProject. I understand what you are saying, but that isn't the way I'm heading/planning my life.

If you are in anyway considering New Hampshire I recommend that you like FSP on facebook and join the FSP group.
https://www.facebook.com/FreeStateProject.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204983906/

SaulPaulinsky
01-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Fair enough. I am not planning on running for office either so not like I can say much. Just got the impression that you were holding off because you thought you were too young; obviously there's more to it than that.

Best of luck to you!

Kharan
01-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, the funding. I'd run on a Paul platform for sure! I've been idly considering this for many years.. and it truly is the only way to take over the system.

eduardo89
01-17-2012, 10:22 PM

So is Ron Paul and he's done quite well ;)

tsetsefly
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Research past elections for the office your running for. Do your principles allow you to perform the job? Do you stand a chance? How much did it take for the last winner to win and Can you get people to pledge at least 10% of that? If the answer to any of these is No, better to stay away.

IM sure you could get funding here... You should definitely give it another shot...

Icymudpuppy
01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
IM sure you could get funding here... You should definitely give it another shot...

I tried here. Got all of 5 people to pledge. Total pledges $120. That doesn't even cover registration.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?339248-Running-for-office...-Maybe&p=3868969