PDA

View Full Version : Romney Adds 11 Delegates Today - CNN

jsingh1022
01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Yesterday, I was on the "Republican Party presidential primaries, 2012" Wikipedia page and it showed the Delegate count as follows.

Mitt Romney - 14
Ron Paul - 10
Rick Santorum - 8

See yesterday's version: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Republican_Party_presidential_prim aries,_2012&oldid=471720042

Today, the Delegate count has changed to...

Mitt Romney - 25
Ron Paul - 10
Rick Santorum - 8

See current version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012

Now, of course, many of you may be quick to say "well it's Wikipedia and anyone can tamper with the text on the page." True, however this page is highly monitored with peer-editors who make sure every edit is cited.

So how did Romney just pick up 11 delegates?

The Wikipedia page is citing a score card from CNN at http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/scorecard/statebystate/r

You will notice on this scorecard Romney gained 11 "Unpledged RNC Delegates". It shows that Romney has Unpledged RNC delegates from Puerto Rico, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maine, West Virginia and D.C. (obviously none of these states have voted)

CNN explains the Unpledged RNC Delegates as:
Unpledged RNC* - Unpledged Republican National Committee member delegates. Unpledged delegates in the Republican Party do not have to indicate a candidate preference, but a majority are elected just like pledged delegates. There are 123 unpledged RNC members that become delegates automatically.

It sounds like this is another pitfall of the frustrating election system. Some old guy RNC members automatically become delegates and vote with the majority... I mean, who cares what the popular vote says, right? :mad:

Maybe one of you experts can explain this deeper.

libertythor
01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
These are the famous "Superdelegates" that were so controversial in the Democratic Primary in 2008. Even though the FEC has some sway over primary campaign donations, a political party is mostly a private organization, and the rules vary state-by-state with some common ground rules set by the national party.

The Libertarian Party for example nominates by convention only basically. A party decides whether or not to do a popular vote and how that popular vote will count.

bluesc
01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
It's superdelegates. I don't know if it's possible for us to go after some.

JoshS
01-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Well that seems fair.

tsai3904
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
List of Super Delegates:

http://www.democraticconventionwatch.com/diary/4726/republican-superdelegate-endorsement-list

TheTyke
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
List of Super Delegates:

http://www.democraticconventionwatch.com/diary/4726/republican-superdelegate-endorsement-list

Good info. Well, I suppose that out 1144 needed, 132 aren't a HUGE number - at least compared to the 850+ I remember the Democrats using. One more obstacle to overcome - but Mittens' campaign will probably get good used out of them for pushing the "inevitability" perception.

01-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Nobody has delegates yet. County and state conventions haven't been held. That's nothing but speculation.

jsingh1022
01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
List of Super Delegates:

Interesting. For example super delegate Bob Maginn:

- Maginn worked with Romney at Bain for almost 20 years.
- According to Maginn's webite, Romney supported his run for Chair.
- Maginn and his wife gave the 2008 Romney campaign over $10,000.
- He was the National Fundraising Co-chair for Romney in 2008.

Source: http://www.democraticconventionwatch.com/diary/4920/republican-superdelegate-endorsement-update

This is the country we live in. A man who worked with one of the candidates for 20 years has the power to be a "super delegate". Should make perfect sense to the American public. >_>

<_<

jersdream
01-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Democrats have a lot more super delegates, however, they have a LOT more delegates overall. I think you need something in the 2000s for delegates to win. However, there is about 6 times or more as many super delegates. So they have about 3 to 4 more times impact in the Democratic Party than the GOP.

Remember Hilary won the popular vote over Obama.

tsai3904
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
This is the country we live in. A man who worked with one of the candidates for 20 years has the power to be a "super delegate". Should make perfect sense to the American public.

Super delegates are elected by their State GOP. The ones who participate and get involved in their local GOP have the power. Unfortunately, the ones who are showing up to their local GOP meetings every month are the establishment type.

MelissaWV
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Nobody has delegates yet. County and state conventions haven't been held. That's nothing but speculation.

Um, no, that's not correct.

New Hampshire's delegates are bound, therefore that count (Romney 7, Paul 3) is accurate. Iowa's delegates are a big ??? and Wiki is speculating. Likewise, being that I seriously doubt the RNC machine has released the intentions of its superdelegates, Wiki is speculating on these counts.

jersdream
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Romney also probably gets Huntsman's two New Hampshire delegates.

hueylong
01-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Romney will pick up Supers in some states, we'll pick up Supers in others. In some states - it'll split. The question is -- how many of each?

tsai3904
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Likewise, being that I seriously doubt the RNC machine has released the intentions of its superdelegates, Wiki is speculating on these counts.

Most states' superdelegates are unbound so they are free to endorse whoever they want.

The Free Hornet
01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
... a political party is mostly a private organization ...
+1 on the explanation. I do question the "mostly" part. It seems like the political parties are worst of both worlds. Private rule, public influence.

I am hopeful that can change some day.

MelissaWV
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Most states' superdelegates are unbound so they are free to endorse whoever they want.

It is early for them to be doing that. I'm not saying that they aren't free to do so, I am saying that it's very unlikely anyone will leap in this early in the game and say 100% that they are for Romney. It is very telling that the Wiki page also counts Iowa delegates.

Scott_in_PA
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
If we can't get it sorted out yet, the average person is clueless.

rodo1776
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
These supers are primarily state GOP chairpeople and National commiteemen and women from each state. 3 from each state basically. They are all GOP hacks unless someone can come up with names of one of these that we have elected. I hope there are a few. We could in some states elect these at this years state conventions as a possibility.
Consider them all Mittsters until proven otherwise.

We can however (if we got a high percentage of delegates elected in Iowa for example and if those delegates are organized) win the county and state conventions and win more National Delegates there than the percentage we got on the straw poll.

We have strength in caucus states if we organize well at the precinct and county levels. Must organize for caucuses at the lowest level and go in prepared to get delegates elected.

ctiger2
01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
If it's the superdelegates it should be:

Mitt Romney - 14
Ron Paul - 21
Rick Santorum - 8

MrTudo
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
So how can Ron Paul pick up a few extra delegates? We have to join wikipedia and add them?

Jeez this place gets more pathetic by the hour. So glad the government has spent trillions of dollars in military shit defending our freedom. What a fking tragedy and I have nothing but contempt at this point for all non-RP supporters.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
It's not really unfair. This is a country that was founded on an electoral college system to pick the President, and U.S. Senators picked by state legislators. There wasn't much direct democracy at the federal level.

Clinton received more votes than Obama in the 2008 democratic primary too. Only delegates matter, not the popular vote.

gerryb
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Super delegates are elected by their State GOP. The ones who participate and get involved in their local GOP have the power. Unfortunately, the ones who are showing up to their local GOP meetings every month are the establishment type.

THIS

tsai3904
01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
It is early for them to be doing that. I'm not saying that they aren't free to do so, I am saying that it's very unlikely anyone will leap in this early in the game and say 100% that they are for Romney. It is very telling that the Wiki page also counts Iowa delegates.

That's what they have done. 11 superdelegates have come out publicly and said they endorse Romney for President. Unless they change their mind in the future, as of now, those superdelegates are planning to vote for Romney.

Cinderella
01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Interesting. For example super delegate Bob Maginn:

- Maginn worked with Romney at Bain for almost 20 years.
- According to Maginn's webite, Romney supported his run for Chair.
- Maginn and his wife gave the 2008 Romney campaign over $10,000.
- He was the National Fundraising Co-chair for Romney in 2008.

Source: http://www.democraticconventionwatch.com/diary/4920/republican-superdelegate-endorsement-update

This is the country we live in. A man who worked with one of the candidates for 20 years has the power to be a "super delegate". Should make perfect sense to the American public. >_>

<_<

Check this out! Here in Massachusetts we have been pressuring Maginn to resign...

http://mobile.masslive.com/advmasslive/pm_29257/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=CWqib850

unknown
01-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Is this is the case, please substantiate, I'll go edit the entry right now.

tsai3904
01-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Is this is the case, please substantiate, I'll go edit the entry right now.

New Hampshire's delegates are set in stone (other than Huntsman's 2 delegates who are now free to support whoever they want).

thoughtomator
01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
If superdelegates determine the winner there will be an open revolt.

unknown
01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
New Hampshire's delegates are set in stone (other than Huntsman's 2 delegates who are now free to support whoever they want).

I will have to justify the edit on the discussion page.

So I can say something like, "The only delegates that have been designated are those from NH. It is misleading and inaccurate to include super delegates this early in the race as they may change their minds."

Whats the deal with Iowa's delegates?

JohnGalt23g
01-19-2012, 05:26 PM
It's superdelegates. I don't know if it's possible for us to go after some.

We can go after them, but they are party insiders who aren't likely to respond to revolutionaries. Something to keep in mind for the future though. When your Paulbearer friends try to haul your ass out to a GOP meeting, go. The way these people got to a position where they can wield this type of power is by showing up at party meetings.

tsai3904
01-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I will have to justify the edit on the discussion page.

So I can say something like, "The only delegates that have been designated are those from NH. It is misleading and inaccurate to include super delegates this early in the race as they may change their minds."

Whats the deal with Iowa's delegates?

New Hampshire's delegates are apportioned based on state law:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxiii/659/659-93.htm

Iowa's delegates are apportioned based on a three step caucus process: precinct caucus, county convention then state convention. The state convention is in June so we won't know who won Iowa's delegates until June.

Also, I would include those superdelegates who have publicly endorsed a candidate. They may change their mind, but as of now, they have pledged their vote to the candidate they endorsed. It's similar to the possibility of a candidate dropping out. Take NH for example. Are you not going to include any delegates because there's the possibility that a candidate may drop out in the future and release their delegates?

truthspeaker
01-19-2012, 05:48 PM
What is all of this talk about Superdelegates? Superdelegates are an anti-GOP idea. Since when does the GOP accept superdelegates? They should have no influence on the delegate system.