PDA

View Full Version : How to donate more than $2300 even if your a foreigner

Man from La Mancha
06-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Put any money over $2300 into private promotion and ads. I know this might seem obvious but I thought I would post it anyway. The sky's the limit.

jj111
06-18-2007, 03:17 AM
What is a "private ad"?
Can you give some specific examples of what "private promotion and ads" might encompass?

mikelovesgod
06-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Private ads are newspaper ads, billboards, letters, postcards, signs, etc..

beermotor
06-18-2007, 04:53 AM
Yeah - take out some ads in local newspapers in Iowa, and stuff. There's no laws against this type of activity? Anyone know for sure?

mdh
06-18-2007, 06:00 AM
I don't see how they could make a law against a private citizen taking out ads, seems like free speech... :)

MsDoodahs
06-18-2007, 06:42 AM
The sky is the limit but there are all these RIDICULOUS "reporting" rules in place to try to discourage it. :mad:

Example: if you try to place a decent sized ad in a newspaper in Iowa, you'll find that the newspaper will require you to publish your name and address and phone number in the ad's "disclaimer" where you state you're unaffiliated with the RP campaign.

And if you spend more than $250 in a single "reporting period," the Feds require you to "report" that expense through the FEC.

And the ad will cost ya more than $250.

So.

:mad: :mad:

MsDoodahs
06-18-2007, 06:47 AM
I failed to include the link.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml

The page is old so maybe the rules have changed but I somehow don't expect any changes to be in the direction of free speech for individuals.

:mad:

LibertyCzar
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
What is a "private ad"?
Can you give some specific examples of what "private promotion and ads" might encompass?

It's something like a 527, or whatever they are called. This was used effectively in 2004. The group was/is the Swift Boaters For Truth, or something like that.

While we can only donate $2,300 to the official Ron Paul campaign, we can certainly donate to, or form, our own group that advocates Ron Paul's positions, and otherwise assists in Ron Paul's campaign.

Finally, since Ron Paul is also running to be reelected to his House seat, can't we donate to that campaign as well? :cool:

Man from La Mancha
06-19-2007, 09:54 PM
If I advertised for a meeting for people interested in Ron Paul couldn't I advertise whatever I wanted to describe what the meeting was for with RP stuff plus get people interested to get together? It could be any size ad I wanted to do or as much as want to spend without being a " political ad".

Man from La Mancha
06-19-2007, 11:10 PM
If I advertised for a meeting for people interested in Ron Paul couldn't I advertise whatever I wanted to describe what the meeting was for with RP stuff plus get people interested to get together? It could be any size ad I wanted to do or as much as want to spend without being a " political ad".

MsDoodahs
06-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure how that would be classed. I was looking at doing some ads in papers in Iowa, and each paper I called told me they would need all my personal info included in the ad else they couldn't run it.

Plus, the cost for half page ads pushed it into the "you must report to the feds" bracket, which puts me right off. Which is of course why they have the regs in the first place, to make sure "we the people" don't say much of anything.

:mad: :mad: