PDA

View Full Version : Making Ron Paul MMORPG! Want to help and get in the Credits? (HELP WANTED)

DXDoug
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
ok so i already got the engine ready to go for starting work on the game.

Now i got many notes plans set out so far. ofcourse not a full game list of everything yet. but basics.

WHAT YOU COULD DO to help for FREE! (i cant afford to pay any one but you will get in the Credits to the game)

The Game has many aspects i would like help with to hurry production of the game.

Currently im gonna find a website and set the games server up there and Grant whoever wants help permissions on different things.

Mappers(people who create the enviroment)

Graphics Designer ( GUI, Items, Spells, Animations for spells)

Developers ( help create quest resources / jobs / NPC(enemys) shops and the whole works)

Visual Basic 6 familiar Programmer ( Coding the game etc.)

Testers( once game is far enough will gladly want testers to work out the bugs/glitches)

Research and Inventions Lets get the game accurate and fun with Ron Paul Information we can use in the game.. Make a idea for a quest thats related to a ron paul story / event . Think of Spell Names, NPC names, Item names, Helmets / pants/ weapons . and what ever you can think of.

Sound Editors Sound people make the game come alive through game music / game sound effects

I have all my so far ideas written down. since i been working on the engine to start producing.
im using Eclipse Origins engine. which you can find more info on it at touchofdeathforums.com

Im gonna make the website tonight, and post everything i have so far on Classes, items, weapons, spells /etc. rough sketch tonight, and upload the engine so we all can start working on it and il post guides to help you understand how to help make the game

You can add me on facebook.com/dxdoug if you want to talk more or just reply here and we can talk here

THIS IS A 2d MMORPG game so it can be played most likely by anyone with out worry of graphics making people unable to play

http://www.facebook.com/groups/137569903026621/ Join the FB Group for the Team. And il update when website with basic info is up. And get the server up

http://riskyourvote.hostzi.com/
Risk Your Vote - RP 2012 Website (UNDER HEavy Construction) uploading game info and everything i have so far. This way yall can get a feel of what you might be working with... check back in morning for hopefully all the development i got so far

Sublyminal
01-15-2012, 07:42 PM
How exactly would this work? What's the premise? I mean, you have to lure us in and tell us what the story involves.

ByeByeBernanke
01-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Cool idea. Could model it after something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/8SplH.gif

refuge
01-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I can't volunteer for a project like this right now, but I'll be looking forward to reading more about it on the website.

I'm actually an administrator on Eclipse, Origins is a pretty powerful engine if you use it right.

RonPaulFever
01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
DO WANT

Paulistinian
01-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow that animation was fuckin awesome.

cavalier973
01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Set up the quest structure as if the player were one of the heroes in "Majesty: the Fantasy Kingdom Sim".

netwalker
01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
I would love to help. I have been making maps for Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, L4D2 (basically any Valve major release) for over ten years.Please let me know when mapping development begins. I am extremely excited about this project as I've always wanted to make a game about getting the truth out.

Please give me more information on the story/direction of the game.

andover4paul
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
You're coding the game in visual basic? *facepalm

netwalker
01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Are we playing as Ron Paul? Is it like "Ron Paul's Quest to the Whitehouse" type thing? Going up against the mainstream media... of course the other candidates would have to be the major story elements, like boss characters (Like a Boss, you might say). Let me know what you are thinking.

kpitcher
01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
You're coding the game in visual basic? *facepalm
Ummm VB, and 2d? That kinda kills the entire MMORPG feel. There are many free 3d engines that are out there. Or to boot strap quickly there are super cheap engines like Torque, which was used for the decent free Minions of Mirth (http://www.prairiegames.com/)

But I won't kill someone's enthusiasm for a project, so I wish you good luck.

torchbearer
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
dark basic?

thecoloredsky
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I would like to see the mainstream media die of dysentery a-la Oregon Trail.

Real_CaGeD
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I want to play a Bircher class fighting global communism infiltrators.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm a writer, and I use to be a Staff Manager / MySQL Database Editor for a Private WoW Server that was pretty popular. I write quests, etc.

thoughtomator
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I'll help you test it sign me up

Liberty4life
01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Great idea, I can do some debugging and basic coding help, as well as beta testing.

Joseph
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
This is an epic idea and I really hope this gets made. Another game i'd like to see is one where you you can try to achieve, and maintain a Voluntaryist society, or even a sandbox style or MMO style game in which you live in a Voluntaryist society. A Ron Paul game in which you go through the grassroots story line from 2007-2012 battling everything we've had to endure and eventually winning with Ron Paul becoming President would be an awesome game. An RPG or sandbox style game where you work to get Ron Paul to the White House, could be used as an incredible education tool, for Ron Paul's issues. I really wish people with computer skills could have started working on something like this a long time ago. I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat.

Mckarnin
01-15-2012, 10:12 PM

Yes!! Then a little tombstone shows up that says "Here lies MSM".

cilution
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Software engineer by profession, game developer by passion, PM me with details and I will help as I have the time and energy.

silk30
01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Cool idea. Could model it after something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/8SplH.gif

LOL! Wow, that is awesome. Very creative and fun to read/watch. Thanks for sharing! :)

jcannon98188
01-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Haha I love it! I used to program using the Mirage Source engine, of which Eclipse was created from. I don't know how much I can help. but I can definitaly assist! Lol

silk30
01-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Haha, that is hilarous! Oregon Trail, brings back memories. :)

crh88
01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
I would love to help with mapping, developing, or testing. I'm a long time MMO gamer and beta tester. I've built some simple RPGs with things like RPG Maker and Game Maker. I've also done map building in various other games.

CyberTootie
01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I could probably only test, but I'll keep my eyes open for other opportunities.

fiddler1
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I would love to do sounds design.. Music.. How do I sign up?

John

LBennett76
01-15-2012, 11:26 PM

HAHAHAHA!

+rep

LBennett76
01-15-2012, 11:29 PM
My 12 year old son does mapping through the valve engines. I do believe he knows some coding too. Been at it for about 3-4 years. He also has done quite a bit of RPGMaker. He wants to be a video game designer when he grows up. I'll see if he'd be interested because it'd be a really cool thing to be a part of. He's a huge Ron Paul fan as well. :)

I'd be interesting in beta testing for bugs and glitches.

Edited to add: He'd be interested in doing graphic work, storyline, and quests. :)

bbwarfield
01-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I play wow a good bit... But I would love to right some quests

DXDoug
01-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Let me know what your good at in the FB Group so i can organize who is doing what

Ranger29860
01-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I really hate to burst you enthusiasm I really like to see people think outside of the box and take initiative. BUT I would suggest toning your idea down to a non MMO game. I code video games for a living and you would spend months on network coding to even begin to be able to start coding the actual game.

An alternative I would suggest is making a flash based game.

Out of curiosity what game engine are you using?

*edit*

More than willing to help you though if this goes anywhere though.

I would seriously suggest not coding in Visual Basic for any gaming applications. Even though its a 2d game your still very limited on what you can do.

affa
01-16-2012, 01:53 AM
my recommendation?

Drop the scope BIG TIME. mmorpg??? no need.

Make something more like the animation at the beginning:

You are Ron Paul. You have weapons (Freedom of Speech, Austrian Economics, Internet, Youtube, etc) and need to know when to use what against various opponents.

Forget exploration, forget a big game world. Just pure, interesting, and educational BATTLES.

This will allow us to get it out in time to make a difference. Going big - a mmorpg, that needs a plot, a world, dungeons, etc just bloats the important part and takes more time than we have.

The plot will be self evident from the battles, and if it's fun to 'destroy Mainstream Media', etc, it will be fun to play.

Various opponents can be the media and the other candidates, maybe even specific media personalities. have it be educational but fun.

Heck, rather than weapons, perhaps Ron Paul 'attacks' are actual Ron Paul quotes. So you actually need to read 4 different quotes and pick the best one to respond to the enemy with.

mmadness
01-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Adding my thoughts to the thread as a former game industry guy (worked as a QA tester, then audio programmer)...

While I love the idea of a Ron Paul game, we have to remember that our goal is to have Ron Paul be elected President.

The only way I think this could happen is if we focus on donating/fundraising, phone-from-home, canvassing and becoming a delegate for Dr. Paul.

The target audience for games is most likely the 18-25 year old range. So it's a limited demographic, plus traditionally this segment of the population has been hard to turn out to vote. They will probably not have much (if any) money to donate to the campaign.

They might play the game, know about Ron Paul, but then move on the next game.

I agree that getting the word about Ron Paul is good, but this is really more of a long-term project.

If you do want to create a game, I recommend doing a very quick effort just for Facebook, as then you would be able to reach a bigger demographic and not just the 18-25's. Or as a previous poster suggested, Flash.

Speed is of the essence because the whole idea is to have people know about Ron Paul NOW, as opposed to a few months from now. My experience with game teams is the bigger they are, the longer it'll take to get anything done, as you are waiting on other people for "dependencies".

So I don't think this should be prefixed with "Priority", as I don't think it'll be as big an impact as raising funds, phone-from-home, canvassing or being a delegate.

Having people focus on this also takes away their focus on these other things, which are more likely to get Dr. Paul elected. I hate to say it but this is like the blimp - it draws away attention and focus from what really needs to be done. At least it's not as bad as the "Super" Brochures, which draws away money as well and actually hurt the effort.

tom7126
01-16-2012, 02:30 AM
I would like to see a game which uses an engine similar to Aerobiz Supersonic to run a campaign simulator featuring Ron Paul.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, WOW. Otherwise, check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobiz_Supersonic

This is an airline corporation simulator. You could easily use the model and transfer it to a political campaign simulator. The game would ideally be low on graphics, as more focus is with the numerical and action-oriented aspects of the game. Of course, this is a single player Flash game idea, and nothing to do with an MMORPG.

While going online with it is an ambitious idea, I don't think it's feasible given the time constraints.