PDA

View Full Version : Man gets 10 years for spitting on a cop

ThePiousPriest
01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120114/ARTICLES/120119818/1083/ARTICLES?Title=Spitting-on-officer-gets-man-10-years-

A Cowpens man received a 10-year prison sentence after admitting that he spit on a police officer attempting to arrest him.

Bobby M. Mathis, 33, pleaded guilty Friday to transferring bodily fluids and resisting arrest before Circuit Judge Roger Couch.

A Cowpens police officer received a complaint Nov. 26 about a disturbance at Mathis' home. When the officer arrived, Mathis came outside his residence screaming and would not cooperate, according to a written statement from the Seventh Circuit Solicitor's Office.

Mathis jerked away when the officer tried to arrest him and kicked and spit on the officer during his arrest, according to the statement.

Mathis was subdued after he was pepper sprayed.

"Mathis' prior criminal record dated back to 1997 with convictions for inhaling hydrocarbons, grand larceny, public disorderly conduct, entering a premises after warning, two counts of glue sniffing, driving without a license, failure to stop for a blue light and resisting arrest," according to the statement.

Found an article on Casey Research about the rise of the Praetorian Class that is worthwhile to read: http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/rise-praetorian-class

CasualApathy
01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
"Mathis' prior criminal record dated back to 1997 with convictions for inhaling hydrocarbons, grand larceny, public disorderly conduct, entering a premises after warning, two counts of glue sniffing, driving without a license, failure to stop for a blue light and resisting arrest,"

Seems like this guy was already wasting his life, so I'm out of sympathy I'm afraid. The title is a bit misleading btw, he clearly did more than just spit, the way the article describes it he went down kicking and screaming, and violence SHOULD land you in prison, even violence towards the police...

lazerbeem
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
You can get convicted for gluesniffing lol wtf.

Expatriate
01-15-2012, 01:01 PM
"Mathis' prior criminal record dated back to 1997 with convictions for inhaling hydrocarbons, grand larceny, public disorderly conduct, entering a premises after warning, two counts of glue sniffing, driving without a license, failure to stop for a blue light and resisting arrest,"

Um... Every time you fill up your tank you are inhaling hydrocarbons, if you've ever used glue you've smelt it, and I've never even heard of blue traffic lights. This story sounds like it came from Bizarro World.

CasualApathy
01-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I think blue lights mean cop car lights :p

Edit: Or maybe the fucker cut off an ambulance in his drug induced glue sniffing stupor, who knows. Clearly human filth though so who cares.

Lishy
01-15-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't believe spitting on a cop is appropriate in ANY case!

However, spitting on a cop and getting 10 years for it is too extreme. This is something they lock you up for in your local police station's cell for only the night, not for years...

However, because of the fact it was in addition to his other crimes, I believe that should be considered.

kuckfeynes
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
The fact that it's possible to get 10 years for it is what makes it appropriate...

ctiger2
01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
The punishment doesn't fit the crime. I'd give him 10yrs in prison if he sawed the cops arm off. Spitting in the face.... 30 days in jail, anger mgmt counseling for 1 year.

Edward
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Resisting arrest often carriers a stiffer penalty than whatever the reason was for the arrest, particularly in someone with prior convictions. I often think that there should be stiff penalties for being a dumbass, then I wonder: "What would Ron Paul do?"

CaptainAmerica
01-15-2012, 02:08 PM
This is why you should not hold back if you intend to insult,fart on (yes a cop has charged a person with assault and battery on an officer for this),or touch a cop in any way shape or form.No matter how you acted,the cop will still put you in prison for lightly touching their hand,wrist or farting on them.

Edward
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Spitting on a cop and resisting arrest is not the same as "lightly touching their hand,wrist or farting on them".

thoughtomator
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
a 10 year sentence is wildly disproportionate and makes a mockery of law and justice

CaptainAmerica
01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Spitting on a cop and resisting arrest is not the same as "lightly touching their hand,wrist or farting on them".

a cop can write you up with "Assault on an officer".

Edward
01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
a cop can write you up with "Assault on an officer".

Is that (i.e. "lightly touching their hand,wrist or farting on them") what happened here?

CasualApathy
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
He didn't get 10 years for just spitting:

"When the officer arrived, Mathis came outside his residence screaming and would not cooperate, according to a written statement from the Seventh Circuit Solicitor's Office.

Mathis jerked away when the officer tried to arrest him and kicked and spit on the officer during his arrest, according to the statement.

Mathis was subdued after he was pepper sprayed."
And you have to consider prior convictions. I don't get why this is such a big deal. Seem like a sensationalist spin on the headline is fooling a lot of people.

HOLLYWOOD
01-15-2012, 03:26 PM
"...failure to stop for a blue light" "...But But Officier, I hate K-Mart!"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mCDA5o2FOkQ/Tqko3NBc6tI/AAAAAAAAB1A/s83T2lFKFXo/s1600/bl.pnghttp://www.thisfullhouse.com/.a/6a00e54ee632ab88330120a687a037970b-pi

Mark37snj
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Glue sniffing :confused: and failure to stop at a KMart blue light special :eek: