PDA

View Full Version : Is Liberty for Grownups Only?

truelies
01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Should those who are utterly dependent on the generousity of others whether at age 4 or age 40 have personal freedom of choice or should they be be regulated by a benign paternalism?

noxagol
01-14-2012, 10:48 AM
I've thought about that a lot. A lot of people claim that certain things are only allowed until you are a 'responsible adult'. However, you cannot define responsible adult in a manner that applies correctly to each individual. Thus, it is arbitrarily assigned and enforced. This is a trampling of rights of many people. With something such as this, something that can be set arbitrarily, it truly either never exists or it always exists, if you're goal is to apply it equally. Thus, a person always has rights or they never have rights and instead only have privileges handed down to them by those who have the power to bestow such privileges.

It is my conclusion then that a one celled egg just fertilized with sperm has as many rights as the oldest, sanest, wisest person.

That's the short bullet point version. I could right a book on the matter (and would need to to explain it entirely).

RonRules
01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
If the educational system taught liberty (and responsibility) concepts at an early age, Liberty would not only be for grownups.

Xenophage
01-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Children do not acquire certain rights until they are emancipated from their parents. Under current law, emancipation happens automatically at age 18, but it can happen sooner with parental consent, or by a legal challenge. This seems to me a completely logical manner in which to deal with the issue of dependency during childhood.

There will have to be arbitrary laws on the issue of adulthood. A two year old cannot own property or sign contracts.

Kylie
01-14-2012, 05:06 PM
But that's just concerning the state, Xenophage. Legalese stuff.

We say we "own" our children, as they are an end result of my, and my husbands, production. But they are their own beings, and also come with inherent rights that we must respect. We don't have the right to put our hands on them, and they have the right to object to what we ask of them. They must do it in a respectful manner with logic and good reasoning, and then we will discuss it. Makes for some lively conversation, since they're 13 and 15. But they know in order for them to get taken care of they must defer some of their choices to me. That's the compromise.

They're pretty good kids too. Not perfect, still make stupid mistakes, but they own up to them and hopefully have learned from them. And you talk about liberty minded, these guys know their shit. You can have a conversation with either of them about politics, academics, military aircraft, art. Both aced their civics classes(in fact, my daughter and I found answers from the teacher that were wrong). I'm pretty proud of em. Not that you couldn't tell. :D

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Apparently not because the old "grownups" are the ones voting for Flip-Flop Romney, I-cheat-on-my-wife-when-shes-dying Gingrich, Frothy, and Jon Hunxang