PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Santorum says "Ron Paul doesn’t stand for life"

ZanZibar
01-14-2012, 09:47 AM
hxxp://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71435.html

bluesc
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
"if the people of New York want abortion, fine. I mean, I wouldn't agree with it, but that's their right. But I don't agree with the Supreme Court coming in."

- Rick Santorum

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-04-23-santorum-excerpt_x.htm

Is he pro-choice now?

TheViper
01-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Babies delivered - 4,000
Babies aborted - 0

Christopholes11
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Ron Paul isn't the one hoping we are the killing scientists overseas.

Revolution9
01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
#presscorpse: Mr. Santorum..What is your stand on life?

Santorum: Exactly!

Rev9

trey4sports
01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Is he pro-choice now?

Holy shit, i just read that interview and the dude is absolutely disgusting. If nothing else the last 4 or 5 answers are absolutely terrible. Worse-than-Obama bad. Not in a spiteful sense either, but in a genuine, I-would-prefer-big-government-liberalism-over-this-dickhead kind of way.

flightlesskiwi
01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
"You can say I'm a hater. But I would argue I'm a lover. I'm a lover of traditional families and of the right of children to have a mother and father."

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/01252/VAH104_1252181l.jpg

"On occasion scientists working on the nuclear program in Iran turn up dead. I think that's a wonderful thing, candidly,

I think we should send a very clear message that if you are a scientist from Russia, North Korea, or from Iran and you are going to work on a nuclear program to develop a bomb for Iran, you are not safe."

Orwell would be pleased at the depth of Santorum's doublespeak.

flightlesskiwi
01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
btw: i was convinced from the first debate that Rick Bizarro Santorum's ONLY purpose in this campaign is to be Ron Paul's personal troll. i still stand by my conviction.

satchelmcqueen
01-14-2012, 10:21 AM
the next debate"

mod: mr paul, santorum says you dotn stand for life. your response?

paul: (looking at santo in the eyes) babies delivered...4000+. babies aborted...0!

satchelmcqueen
01-14-2012, 10:22 AM
even at that, how can this guy even say this??? how is ron not for life?? what a liar!!

Revolution9
01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
even at that, how can this guy even say this??? how is ron not for life?? what a liar!!

#republicorpse

HTH
Rev9

Bonnieblue
01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
btw: i was convinced from the first debate that Rick Bizarro Santorum's ONLY purpose in this campaign is to be Ron Paul's personal troll. i still stand by my conviction.

Those are my sentiments. In 1976, the Democratic Party made Jimmy Carter the personal troll of George Wallace. It was his task to defeat Wallace in the South, namely in the then all-important primary in Florida. It was then understood that he was to be VP under Hubert Humphrey; however, there was an unanticipated Deus ex machina: Humphrey got terminal cancer and had to drop out. Carter was the only one left standing.

jsem
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
What RP should say in the next debate:

Santorum, you support killing scientists in Iran which not only does not serve our national interest because it creates blowback and even more hate towards the west, but your support for killing is NOT pro-life. In fact it is the very opposite. You should understand that such acts devastate families and it's hardly a pro-family position to kill a father like that.

Todd
01-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Paul introduced the Sanctity of Life bill at least 3 times, and I'm pretty sure Santorum never helped co sponsor it. Hypocrite much?

Occam's Banana
01-14-2012, 10:53 AM
If the people of New York want abortion, fine. I mean, I wouldn't agree with it, but that's their right. But I don't agree with the Supreme Court coming in.

Is he pro-choice now?

Nah. He's just a dyed-in-the-wool champion of the 10th amendment & states' rights. :rolleyes: @ Frothy.

Todd
01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Paul introduced the Sanctity of Life bill at least 3 times, and I'm pretty sure Santorum never helped co sponsor it. Hypocrite much?

update.

2005 Sanctity of life cosponsors
Roscoe Bartlett [R-MD6]
Scott Garrett [R-NJ5]
Ron Lewis [R-KY2]
Jeff Miller [R-FL1]
Charles Norwood [R-GA9]

Santorum not on there.

Cosponsors of 2007 legislation:
Rodney Alexander [R-LA5]
Roscoe Bartlett [R-MD6]
Scott Garrett [R-NJ5]
Walter Jones [R-NC3]

Santorum not on there.

A Son of Liberty
01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Rick Santorum: (kinda) pro-life.*

*Support for this politician may cause: extra-judicial killings, indiscriminate bombings, the death sentence, greasy anal leakage, drone strikes, suspension of habeas corpus, suspension of posse commitatus, homophobia, xenophobia, warfare, occupation, headache, stomach ache, pre-emptive strikes, confusion, stupidity, blowback, resentment, violence, mayhem, diarrhea, and erectile dysfunction.

Consult a physician (preferrably Dr. Ron Paul) before supporting Rick Santorum.

ZanZibar
01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Didn't Santorum vote to fund Planned Parenthood?

angelatc
01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
update.

Santorum not on there.

Santorum not on there.

Santorum was in the Senate.

No Free Beer
01-14-2012, 11:54 AM

this.

No Free Beer
01-14-2012, 11:57 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/bgu35t.jpg

No Free Beer
01-14-2012, 12:01 PM
What RP should say in the next debate:

Santorum, you support killing scientists in Iran which not only does not serve our national interest because it creates blowback and even more hate towards the west, but your support for killing is NOT pro-life. In fact it is the very opposite. You should understand that such acts devastate families and it's hardly a pro-family position to kill a father like that.

bad strategy.

Either remind people of how you delivered over 4000 babies or explain that you introduced the Life bill...

Todd
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Santorum was in the Senate.

right....:o

emazur
01-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Can you say flip flop?
Santorum in 2012:

“He doesn’t vote for anything restricting abortion on a federal level because he doesn’t think the federal government should be involved in restricting abortion,” Santorum said. “Well, that’s just wrong! The bottom line is that we need to have restrictions on abortion.”

Santorum in 2003:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-04-23-santorum-excerpt_x.htm

I've been very clear about that. The right to privacy is a right that was created in a law that set forth a (ban on) rights to limit individual passions. And I don't agree with that. So I would make the argument that with President, or Senator or Congressman or whoever Santorum, I would put it back to where it is, the democratic process. If New York doesn't want sodomy laws, if the people of New York want abortion, fine. I mean, I wouldn't agree with it, but that's their right. But I don't agree with the Supreme Court coming in.

Feeding the Abscess
01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Didn't Santorum vote to fund Planned Parenthood?

Yes, by voting for appropriations and budget bills that contain Title X funding.

Publicani
01-14-2012, 05:12 PM
My suggestion for Ron Paul in the next debate is to say the following: "The main distinction between me and Santorum (and frankly all other candidates, as well as liberals) is in our position with regard to the rule of law. I firmly believe in the rule of law. My opponents believe that if they want something very strongly, the law doesn't have to be obeyed. Santorum thinks that if he advocates to brake the law, the Constitution, with regard to abortion, he is pro-life. I don't think it makes him pro-life, it just makes him against the law. According to the Constitution this issue should be left to the states. I don't mind the federal law against abortion, but the only way it can be done is by convincing 3/4 of states and making an amendment to the Constitution, which I personally would support.
We have the same difference on the foreign policy. Santorum is for illegal acts of terror, killing foreign scientists without trial and starting a war without declaration, just because he feels passionate about these issues. This makes him not pro democracy, but pro dictatorship. If the people through the Congress declare the war, I'll follow the law. Because of such disregard to the rule of law, as Santorum and others advocate, we have wars and bailouts, and Patriot acts of Bush and Obama, and if any of my opponents is elected as the republican nominee, we will continue on this unlawful road to disaster."

P.S. I think Ron Paul should occasionally throw in "the rule of law" instead of "the Constitution." Conservatives, tea-party, old folks, and actually all patriotic Americans are strongly for the rule of law. None of his opponents can make this call.

Gravik
01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
This guy is just a pure scum ball.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71435.html
GAFFNEY, S.C.—Ron Paul’s record on abortion is “one of the worst in the United States Congress,” Rick Santorum charged Friday.

And that’s not all: Campaigning here in this state where social conservatives hold sway, Santorum leveled a broad argument against Paul for not doing enough to oppose gay marriage, the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” and a host of other issues.

Sparked by a question from a Paul supporter about votes he cast in the Senate that included Planned Parenthood funding, the former Pennsylvania senator — and proponent of complete abortion restrictions — blasted his rival for putting his libertarian views over “Judeo-Christian values.”

“He doesn’t vote for anything restricting abortion on a federal level because he doesn’t think the federal government should be involved in restricting abortion,” Santorum said. “Well, that’s just wrong! The bottom line is that we need to have restrictions on abortion.”

The encounter at a town hall here started Santorum on an extended tear punctuated only by a whispered comment from his wife Karen.

“Well, he’s opposed a lot of pro-life bills,” Santorum said in response.

“The bottom line is, I am for defunding Planned Parenthood,” he told the crowd here. “I am for a federal marriage amendment, which Ron Paul is not. I am for reinstating ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ — which Ron Paul is not. I’m just telling you there are clear differences on someone who is going to go out and speak about the Judeo-Christian values that this country holds, and Ron Paul will not.”

Santorum defended his own voting record, then accused Paul of earmarking.

“The program that he’s talking about is a program called Title X, and it’s a program that is in appropriation bills that allows for funding of birth control,” Santorum said. “I am not for federal funding of that, but it’s in a big bill that provides a lot of things. Did I vote for that overall bill? Yes, I did. Ron Paul doesn’t vote for any spending. That’s fine. But he also earmarks more than anybody else in the Congress, and then doesn’t vote for the spending that the earmarks are in.”

He received the biggest applause and cheers of the day when he declared: “There is nobody that’s been a stronger pro-life leader in the United States Congress than I was.”

Minutes after Santorum left the restaurant where the event was held, his campaign blasted a press release, announcing the endorsement of former chairman of the National Organization for Marriage Maggie Gallagher.

Paul spent lots of money airing an advertisement in Iowa that highlighted his personal opposition to abortion. It features the former OB-GYN recalling a late-term abortion that he witnessed.

But Santorum wasn’t only focused on Paul’s views on social issues — he also took issue with Paul’s foreign policy views — saying Paul “appeals to the Dennis Kucinich wing of the Democratic Party on national security” — and wrote off Paul’s second-place finish as irrelevant.

“Ron Paul’s been running in New Hampshire since 1937,” he joked.

Santorum’s looking to consolidate conservative support ahead of the Jan. 21 primary to give him the same kind of surge that propelled him to a virtual tie in the Iowa caucuses Jan. 3. At a lunchtime event at a diner in York during part of his swing through the conservative upstate of South Carolina, he expressed confidence that would happen.

“We know the values of this state,” Santorum said. “We know, particularly here in the upstate, those rock-ribbed, traditional values.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71435.html#ixzz1jTfa3kzy

RPfan1992
01-14-2012, 05:22 PM
I really hate it when people say they are pro life but want to bomb more countries.

Restore America Now
01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes, because abortion is the most important issue right now. Give me a break, Frothy. This isn't Iowa.

jay_dub
01-14-2012, 05:28 PM
He's an idiot. It's a shame that valuable time has to be spent countering him. I predict he will be a dead man walking after Monday night.

Dianne
01-14-2012, 05:31 PM
hxxp://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71435.html

And Santorum purports to stand for life? How many 18 year olds is he ready to send to their deaths, to protect his personal wealth and the wealth of the corporations that own him?

He is so disgusting, his own state ran him out of town for ethics violations...

Santorum is very pro choice.... His choice.. protect the unborn fetus, but when that fetus is born; it is military complex owned and not one tear will come out of that liars mouth when he sends a child to kill other children.

Fact is, Ron Paul is the only "pro life" candidate running; on either side.

No1ButPaul08
01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
update.

Santorum not on there.

Santorum not on there.

To be fair Santorum was in the Senate so he would not be cosponsoring a bill in the house. He could have, however, introduced or sponsored a similar bill if he had wanted.

luctor-et-emergo
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Rick doesn't understand the constitution... Like Romney had to ask Dr. Paul for the answer on anti-conception.

The way I understand it, the way Dr. Paul tried to educate me on it; (1)Life starts at conception (duh), (2)Stopping life is called killing, (3)Laws for murder and most other (violent) crimes are dealt with on the state level.

Another example why Santorum is BIG government.

emazur
01-14-2012, 06:07 PM
My suggestion for Ron Paul in the next debate is to say the following: "The main distinction between me and Santorum (and frankly all other candidates, as well as liberals) is in our position with regard to the rule of law. I firmly believe in the rule of law. My opponents believe that if they want something very strongly, the law doesn't have to be obeyed. Santorum thinks that if he advocates to brake the law, the Constitution, with regard to abortion, he is pro-life. I don't think it makes him pro-life, it just makes him against the law. According to the Constitution this issue should be left to the states. I don't mind the federal law against abortion, but the only way it can be done is by convincing 3/4 of states and making an amendment to the Constitution, which I personally would support.
We have the same difference on the foreign policy. Santorum is for illegal acts of terror, killing foreign scientists without trial and starting a war without declaration, just because he feels passionate about these issues. This makes him not pro democracy, but pro dictatorship. If the people through the Congress declare the war, I'll follow the law. Because of such disregard to the rule of law, as Santorum and others advocate, we have wars and bailouts, and Patriot acts of Bush and Obama, and if any of my opponents is elected as the republican nominee, we will continue on this unlawful road to disaster."

P.S. I think Ron Paul should occasionally throw in "the rule of law" instead of "the Constitution." Conservatives, tea-party, old folks, and actually all patriotic Americans are strongly for the rule of law. None of his opponents can make this call.

Damn, you knocked that out of the park. Paul should absolutely speak like this. Just, for that, I'll remind people that you have a book for sale (which I got for free):
http://www.amazon.com/Publicani-Zak-Maymin/dp/1438221231/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326585927&sr=8-1

Dianne
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Damn, you knocked that out of the park. Paul should absolutely speak like this. Just, for that, I'll remind people that you have a book for sale (which I got for free):
http://www.amazon.com/Publicani-Zak-Maymin/dp/1438221231/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326585927&sr=8-1

Yes, great suggestion. We have laws, we can't pick and choose which ones we must obey. If the Congress and White House will not follow the rule of law, that leaves a Catholic President such as Gingrich or Santorum to say there will not be another Baptist Church in the United States. Paul is for the rule of law, Obama, Gingrich, Santorum, Romney and the U.S. Congress for a dictatorship.

Hyperion
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Ron Paul has the most realistic plan to keep abortion in check. By letting the states handle the issue, the pro life movement has a much better chance than hoping for a breakthrough from the Supreme Court.

As a pro lifer, I also find the enthusiastic pro-war sentiments of Santorum and crew to be very offsetting.