PDA

View Full Version : Santa Rita SuperPAC ads - not so much

Nathan Hale
01-13-2012, 08:58 PM
This big ad buy in SC - what's the deal with the ad quality. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the official campaign commercials lately, but the 7 ads from the Santa Rita SuperPAC website are amateurish. Can't they just use the RevPAC ads?

Revolution9
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Why start another thread where fools can go about bashing the horse sense straightness of these commercials by folks who were made millionaires in several business by the demographic they made these ads for. Does it not occur to any of you that these gentlemen may peruse this forum and see the sleights conjured against their fine personal efforts. Howzabout a thank you instead of a razzberry??

Don't bother adding more "I know how to run a campaign" clownage on this thread. Be respectful of those who opened their wallet.

Rev9

steph3n
01-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Why start another thread where fools can go about bashing the horse sense straightness of these commercials by folks who were made millionaires in several business by the demographic they made these ads for. Does it not occur to any of you that these gentlemen may peruse this forum and see the sleights conjured against their fine personal efforts. Howzabout a thank you instead of a razzberry??

Don't bother adding more "I know how to run a campaign" clownage on this thread. Be respectful of those who opened their wallet.

Rev9

These guys are quite successful in marketing to the DFW area as well, which has similar demographics to SC in many ways, they aren't idiots!
It doesn't take flash and razzledazzle to make an impact.

Nathan Hale
01-14-2012, 09:32 AM

Rev9

You're aware that it's possible to both respect somebody for opening their wallet and be critical of what they did with their wallet's contents. It's our job to inform the efforts of this campaign and its surrogates. Feedback is the way to improvement.

Nathan Hale
01-14-2012, 09:34 AM
These guys are quite successful in marketing to the DFW area as well, which has similar demographics to SC in many ways, they aren't idiots!
It doesn't take flash and razzledazzle to make an impact.

I'm not claiming that they're idiots, but their ads lack the polish of the official ads and the revpac ads. Yes, it's possible to make an impact without the flash and razzledazzle, but flash and razzledazzle increase the impact, so why not admit that they're as important as the content? It's like politics in general - we require a marriage of style and substance, ignoring either is to our detriment.

steph3n
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm not claiming that they're idiots, but their ads lack the polish of the official ads and the revpac ads. Yes, it's possible to make an impact without the flash and razzledazzle, but flash and razzledazzle increase the impact, so why not admit that they're as important as the content? It's like politics in general - we require a marriage of style and substance, ignoring either is to our detriment.

Why waste money on it when most today are walking away during ads making the audio most important, or DVR right through it skipping over the ad? One of those still shots has just as much chance of impacting someone to go back and rewind to watch it as a movie trailer quality ad.

specsaregood
01-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Perhaps the razzledazzle is less important to the actual message and even distracting. Watch the ads again and you'll see the simplistic beauty and straightforwardness of them. These are not intended for the nintendo generation.

And this guy demonstrated it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxJ1XUGLR0

This Revpac Oath Ad, which so many of you love so much, forgets to mention that Ron Paul is an Air Force Veteran.

The SantaRita ads, which are shorter, put "Ron Paul is a Veteran" front and center.

Who is Bill Manning? Is he famous in some way? Is there some reason we care what Bill Manning has to say? We might agree with what he has to say 100%, but other people might not know who he is, and might not go "oh, well Bill Manning said this, so it must be right"

A picture of Ron Paul in a military uniform for 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 120 seconds. That's a good ad.

Because not every South Carolinian knows that Ron Paul is an Air Force veteran. And we know, because we're smart, that we have something that the other candidates don't. Ron Paul is a Veteran. Show it often. We want people in South Carolina to know that.

Here are 2 screencaps from the Santa Rita 30 second spot.

http://webmusicvideo.com/bachmann2012/media/kunena/attachments/70/santaritauniform.jpg

http://webmusicvideo.com/bachmann2012/media/kunena/attachments/70/santaritachart.jpg

low preference guy
01-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Santa Rita SuperPAC ads - not so much

not so much what?

damiengwa
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
This big ad buy in SC - what's the deal with the ad quality. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the official campaign commercials lately, but the 7 ads from the Santa Rita SuperPAC website are amateurish. Can't they just use the RevPAC ads?

Who ever laid out the cash/raised the cash decided what to run. Why run another PAC's ads? Makes no sense, this is incremental dough, that believed it need its own type of message. i don't think the ads are bad at all. I am glad there will be some media buys in SC, b/c the campaign is running on fumes right now. They've spread the resources out to the early caucus states, they are running a delegate strategy....

We'll see...

bbwarfield
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
They are actually successful.... we have three independent voters in my office and all three have commented on the "santa's land whatever adds" and they are positive.... they remember Ron Paul.... no so good on the pacs name

specsaregood
01-14-2012, 12:17 PM
They are actually successful.... we have three independent voters in my office and all three have commented on the "santa's land whatever adds" and they are positive.... they remember Ron Paul.... no so good on the pacs name

That's exactly as it should be, the PAC shouldn't be the thing to remember. I never liked that RevolutionPac took the revolution title, it scares many voters.

Rincewind
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
I like them.

They're short and to the point. They're minimalist. They're essentially the opposite approach of RevPAC's ads, and it provides a nice balance. I think that, aside from being useful in their own right as to-the-point advertising that focuses on electability, they'll also effectively help open up voters to the messages in RevPAC's ads.

tod evans
01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm grateful that these folks are able to do what they are.

steph3n
01-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I'll go for santaland ads :D as long as they work

Rincewind
01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Hew I'll go for santaland ads :D

Man, wouldn't it be great if we got Santa's endorsement?