PDA

View Full Version : Check out this footage from the 1964 Republican Convention!

RileyE104
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdc985gNU8c

However this election turns out in the coming months... The convention is something I think all of us are looking forward to! :)

Paulistinian
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Only delegates can go to the convention right?

Miguel
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I can imagine it now in Tampa chants of END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!!

libertybrewcity
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM

You can probably get in. I know Adam Kokesh was there and I don't think he was a delegate.

gerryb
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM

They get guest passes, as well.

sailingaway
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I can imagine it now in Tampa chants of END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!! END the FED!!

uh, I hope not.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
If only Goldwater wasn't so hawkish he would have won and we would never have had the Great Society disaster. The country would be a dramatically different place, but I guess then we wouldn't have Ron Paul and the growing resurgence of radical Classical Liberalism. Tough to say in hindsight whether the '64 loss was a positive or negative, but if in the future we can restore the dominance and understanding of the lessons of yore of those radical Classical Liberals.....well....do you believe in fate?

Ekrub
01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
If only Goldwater wasn't so hawkish he would have won and we would never have had the Great Society disaster. The country would be a dramatically different place, but I guess then we wouldn't have Ron Paul and the growing resurgence of radical Classical Liberalism. Tough to say in hindsight whether the '64 loss was a positive or negative, but if in the future we can restore the dominance and understanding of the lessons of yore of those radical Classical Liberals.....well....do you believe in fate?

Media and establishment was also against him, I don't know if it was purely his hawkishness that lost him the election, though I think they did try and paint it as If he was going to start ww3 from what I understand.

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
+1 That was cool to watch. Thanks for posting it.

dagnybell
01-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Media and establishment was also against him, I don't know if it was purely his hawkishness that lost him the election, though I think they did try and paint it as If he was going to start ww3 from what I understand.

It was the media distortion and trying to direct the vote even back then. Goldwater met with the press and they asked him about Vietnam and he said he would leave all options on the table. The next day the headlines read that "Goldwater would Nuke Nam" and he lost...

RPit
01-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Ron Paul woulda won in Goldwater's time. And goldwater would win in this time (now = hawkish )... What a twist..

ZanZibar
01-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Media and establishment was also against him, I don't know if it was purely his hawkishness that lost him the election, though I think they did try and paint it as If he was going to start ww3 from what I understand.And now they are going against Ron because he WON'T start WWIII. Oh the irony, eh? :rolleyes:

ZanZibar
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
It was the media distortion and trying to direct the vote even back then. Goldwater met with the press and they asked him about Vietnam and he said he would leave all options on the table. The next day the headlines read that "Goldwater would Nuke Nam" and he lost...Actually the way I understand it is he was quoting some Pentagon report saying that 'some people want to nuclear carpet bomb Hanoi' or something like that. He didn't want to do it, he was just saying that other people want to do it. They took it completely out of context.

jcarcinogen
01-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Check out Reagan's endorsement speech for Goldwater in 64 and relate it to today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBswFfh6AY

The Establishment/neoconservatives like Rush and the Fox/Bain Capital pundits like to compare Goldwater's loss to a Paul nomination.

gb13
01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
It was the media distortion and trying to direct the vote even back then. Goldwater met with the press and they asked him about Vietnam and he said he would leave all options on the table. The next day the headlines read that "Goldwater would Nuke Nam" and he lost...

Funny, today candidates talk about preemptive nuclear strikes quite candidly, and no one even bats an eye. My, how things change...

Firehouse26
01-13-2012, 11:59 PM
speaking of delegates, other than signing up to be considered as a delegate on the official RP site, is there anything one can do to try and actually become one?

mmadness
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
speaking of delegates, other than signing up to be considered as a delegate on the official RP site, is there anything one can do to try and actually become one?

Thanks for taking your support of Dr. Paul seriously! :) Please check out the delegates thread in my sig, there some really good links to go to.

Agorism
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
seen all this a million times

jcarcinogen
01-14-2012, 12:04 AM
seen all this a million times
There are some that haven't. I don't show everything for you, ms elitist.

dbill27
01-14-2012, 12:06 AM
uh, I hope not.

WTF? Why not?