PDA

View Full Version : Steven Colbert Debates Ron Paul! Make this happen!

nakor667
01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Stephen Colbert is jumping into the South Carolina primary. This would be a huge problem for us (both competing for the college vote), but point in fact he's not even on the ballot.

This means he can only help us out!

So, what we need is to have a Paul/Colbert debate. Sure, other candidates might get the invite, but just think how cool Paul and Colbert's over-the-top neo-con persona going at it would be!

We could even have John Stewart moderating!

I don't care if the debate was only half-an-hour. The coolness factor alone would get huge numbers of twentysomethings out to vote, and might be just enough to put us over the top....

FreeTraveler
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
He's not jumping into the SC primary. He's not on the ballot and they don't allow write-ins. Why give this clown more ammo to make a mockery of the election anyway? And Ron Paul "debating" a comedian would make Ron Paul look like a comedian when he's just starting to be taken seriously.

Ben Bernanke
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
This might be the worst idea I've ever heard

JacobG18
01-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Yeah this

KingNothing
Are you kidding?

That's something Herman Cain would do

It's a terrible idea.

Korey Kaczynski
I can't believe OP is an '07er.

bobburn
01-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Terrible idea.

dbill27
01-13-2012, 07:47 PM

Haha

dbill27
01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
To be fair, stossel did have him debate an Obama look a like.

fade

There is a reason we lost in '08.

Simple
Most people get their news from the Daily Show so it's not such a bad thing. The media exposure would be great.

lucent
*facepalm*

EBounding
01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
If anything, Colbert should be boycotted for being a distraction.

Korey Kaczynski
01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
There is a reason we lost in '08.

A lot of our initial bandwagon people weren't exactly the best agents of debate....thank god we don't have the truthers to worry about this cycle.

fade
01-13-2012, 07:54 PM
A lot of our initial bandwagon people weren't exactly the best agents of debate....thank god we don't have the truthers to worry about this cycle.

Oh they are still alive and well, but I think they have realized that Ron Paul is not their vessel for truth this time around. It was BAD last time. The conspiracy theory nuts from '08 turned of 90% of the people.

Korey Kaczynski
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I remember it well. Like that video with truthers interviewing Ron Paul in NH thinking he was in on their little project.

affa
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
please no. this is ridiculously stupid. debating comedians is FAR below the standard a candidate should uphold.

WIRP
01-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Really bad idea. This is something for Buddy Roemer, not Ron Paul. We have serious debates to prepare for.

eric_cartman
01-13-2012, 08:00 PM

i'm an '07er... i'm awesome!

NYgs23
01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Why give this clown more ammo to make a mockery of the election anyway?

I agree. The government does a perfectly fine job of making a mockery of its own elections.

cynic
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Stephen Colbert is jumping into the South Carolina primary. This would be a huge problem for us (both competing for the college vote), but point in fact he's not even on the ballot.

This means he can only help us out!

So, what we need is to have a Paul/Colbert debate. Sure, other candidates might get the invite, but just think how cool Paul and Colbert's over-the-top neo-con persona going at it would be!

We could even have John Stewart moderating!

I don't care if the debate was only half-an-hour. The coolness factor alone would get huge numbers of twentysomethings out to vote, and might be just enough to put us over the top....

Don't let the negativity here get to you nakor.

I could see your idea masking as a debate when in fact it would be an interview to get the message out. Colbert has made a few wise cracks at Paul but they've been harmless compared to what most journalists have said about him. Also, they were done as satire and Stewart appears to be very fair towards Paul.

Of course, there may be some concern that it would minimize Paul but it may also show his lighthearted side.

Anyway, it's always good to be thinking so don't get discouraged.

eleganz
01-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Colbert is a distraction.

cynic
01-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Colbert is a distraction.

Agreed. A distraction with 1.5m nightly viewers.

Unknown.User
01-13-2012, 08:10 PM

ronpaulitician
01-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Just make it a mini-debate on Colbert's show (at the table).

The Binghamton Patriot
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I think a debate with Colbert (an honest one), with an honest moderator, would draw a lot of attention. Especially if Colbert jumps on a grenade for us and is able to draw a dichotomy between himself and Ron, and asked simple minded questions which his viewers could relate to. I bet Colbert would be very fair to us if we could agree to something like this. I like the sound of it on paper, but some real stubborn conservatives would find reasons to not like Ron for this, and not vote for him-especially because he skipped Tax Hike Mike's welfare candidate forum.

specsaregood
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Most people get their news from the Daily Show so it's not such a bad thing. The media exposure would be great.
"most people"? time to put the vaporizer down man.

lakefx
01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I would have Ron Paul debate Hitler, William Wallace, Butch Cassidy, Bruno, Leonidas, Peter Griffin, or one of the Olsen twins if it meant airtime and a spreading of his message.

Paul or not at all
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I think a debate with Colbert (an honest one), with an honest moderator, would draw a lot of attention. Especially if Colbert jumps on a grenade for us and is able to draw a dichotomy between himself and Ron, and asked simple minded questions which his viewers could relate to. I bet Colbert would be very fair to us if we could agree to something like this. I like the sound of it on paper, but some real stubborn conservatives would find reasons to not like Ron for this, and not vote for him-especially because he skipped Tax Hike Mike's welfare candidate forum.

Real Stubborn conservatives always gonna complain...

playpianoking
01-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Sorry OP, not a good idea.

ropa2012
01-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Hold on. How about a simple appearance on Colbert's show. Jay Leno was brilliant. Jon Stewart is favorable. As long as it's not advertised as an official 'debate', Colbert would satirically make it as such...but it wouldn't strike me as being 'below' Ron if its orchestrated as a simple appearance - it would simply serve as good entertainment from Stephen and good publicity for Paul. ?

ironj221
01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
As hilarious as a Colbert/Paul debate would be, I don't think it's a good idea.

PaleoPaul
01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
If Ron Paul considers debating Donald Trump below his pay grade, what would debating Colbert be?!

pilby
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlA9bNk3b5Q

milo10
01-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Don't let the negativity here get to you nakor.

I could see your idea masking as a debate when in fact it would be an interview to get the message out. Colbert has made a few wise cracks at Paul but they've been harmless compared to what most journalists have said about him. Also, they were done as satire and Stewart appears to be very fair towards Paul.

Of course, there may be some concern that it would minimize Paul but it may also show his lighthearted side.

Anyway, it's always good to be thinking so don't get discouraged.

I agree, and I think it's the beginning of a good idea. But not as a long debate, but just a typical interview on his show with Colbert roleplaying a debate. I wouldn't want to see a debate platform or anything, just them sitting down for a regular interview, while Stephen asked Ron a question, then told him what he would do. It would be really memorable.

I think Colbert is more widely liked than Jon Stewart. I like them both, but Stewart is more political, whereas Colbert is just as sharp, but has a lighter touch in regards to getting his view out there.

The Free Hornet
01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Colbert seems more like a wild card. Anti-Bush-the-President, Pro-Obama-the-Candidate - what does that mean for Ron Paul? And that Stewart is in favor of being fair to Paul, maybe even nice, does not indicate how Colbert would act. It might be great, but I see more downside than up. Colbert is a comedian and he will be trying to make people laugh. Colbert's jokes could be ageist, racist, and as careless as the heartless neocon he portrays. Maybe Ron Paul won't think it is funny that the US has caused hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children to die.

I just don't get the punchline in this scenario - especially as a debate! An interview can be positive, funny, upbeat. A debate would have to be contentious even if only artificially and humorously so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FTF4Oz4dI

mainstream economist
01-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Colbert is all about mocking whoever can be mocked, truth be damned.

Compare and contrast his end-of-show interviews with Jon Stewart's end-of-show interviews.

Jon Stewart, though imperfect and misinformed on many issues, is a good-faith interviewer who tries to extract a clear view of his interviewee's views for his audience. Colbert doesn't care what his interviewee thinks. Colbert just wants to make fun of his interviewee or making his interviewee uncomfortable. This is not to say that Colbert is evil (he's only trying to make money), but a Colbert interview only has downsides for Dr. Paul.

lucent
01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Hold on. How about a simple appearance on Colbert's show. Jay Leno was brilliant. Jon Stewart is favorable. As long as it's not advertised as an official 'debate', Colbert would satirically make it as such...but it wouldn't strike me as being 'below' Ron if its orchestrated as a simple appearance - it would simply serve as good entertainment from Stephen and good publicity for Paul. ?

No.

impaleddead
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Do any of you even watch his show? He's pointing out how screwed up SuperPACs are. Blame the media for reporting it as if he's actually running, when clearly it's just a joke on the show.

Paul did a bit on Colberts show in the past where he argued with some jackass from the NYTimes about the gold standard.

unknown
01-13-2012, 09:54 PM

There are other terrible ideas out there, somewhere.

Dr.3D
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
If Ron Paul considers debating Donald Trump below his pay grade, what would debating Colbert be?!

I was about to say something along those lines.

unknown
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM

No man, Colbert is a hack. All he does is try to clown everyone. Even Jon Stewart is somewhat serious...

While Colbert can be funny doing what he does, this is not the right venue for Ron Paul.

Come on people.

unknown
01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Ron Paul should engage in a debate that the people of South Caroline can really get behind.

I suggest Ron Paul debate one of the state's official animals, either the Eastern Tiger Swallow Tail butterfly or possibly even the Boykin Spaniel.

jersdream
01-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow. I cannot believe someone suggested this. Absolutely shameful.

No Free Beer
01-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry, but I am not a fan of this man.

He gets to go on the hill and talk with our representatives when we are facing a shithole all over the place? The man is an asshole.

Vet_from_cali
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
If colbert is a supporter I dont see what all the fuss is about. Hell, it might just end with Colbert endorsing him lol

negative nancys

m72mc
01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Better to stay serious than some town circus.

With all due respect to everyone, this will never happen.

moonshine5757
01-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Awesome idea if they did this at the same time the Huckabee forum was taking place.

Brick-in-the-Wall
01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
If Colbert was a Paul supporter then it could work out as Colbert could be Santorum on steroids mocking neo-con stances.

I don't see that being the case though.

teacherone
01-14-2012, 01:06 AM
sorry...the comedian would win.

this guy's clever, delivers lines clearly every night and has a team of crackpot writers with an army of sound bytes.

ron paul would get waxed.