PDA

View Full Version : Open message to Mormons concerning Liberty and Ron Paul

jcannon98188
01-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I know a couple of people have posted these open letters, but I wanted to throw mine in the mix:

An Open Letter to Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
By: Jason Cannon

To my Brothers and Sisters in Christ. I write this open letter imploring you to, in this time of Political turmoil, reconsider many of your previous thoughts on Politics and Candidates, and to consider instead the necessity of Freedom, Love, Peace, and Liberty. Indeed, I am asking that all Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, as well as all Christians, to consider voting for Rep. Ron Paul of Texas in the Republican Primaries, and ultimately for President of the United States of America.

There has been much stir of late about Ron Paul and his policies. News about Dr. Paul's campaign have been both of Praise, and Critique. Many in our country view Dr. Paul's policies as 'Dangerous' or even 'Atheist in Nature'. I urge you to ignore this criticism as it is false and without base. Dr. Paul's policies are based off of the idea of Freedom and Liberty. These are the same ideals that led our Founding Fathers to revolt against their British Rulers, and create the great Republic that we call America. But these ideas were not from the Founding Fathers alone. These ideals have been repeated by many of the greatest Political Minds of our world, including Cato and John Locke. But even then, the ideal of Freedom and Liberty is not an idea created of Man, but is one given to us by God himself.

As Members of the Church we know of the great War in Heaven. This was not a war of bloodshed or murder, but a war of the mind, and of ideals. There were two plans. One offering security, and guaranteed salvation with a supreme leader to guide us in every aspect of our lives. The other, offered freedom and free will. It offered choice and a leader who would guide us with love and compassion, instead of through the use of force. We know what plan our Heavenly Father chose, and what plan all of us on the Earth today chose. We chose Liberty. We chose Freedom. Why then do we feel the need to shrink away from these principles when it comes to the powers of Government. Did God give us commandments that we should follow? Of course he did. But does he force us to follow these commandments? No. Does he punish us here on Earth if we do not follow these commandments? No. Will we, in the end, have to answer for our choices? Yes, but until that time God has given us the freedom to live our lives as we will. If God himself gave us these freedoms, then how can the Government of our Nation claim the right to take these away from us. Are they better than God? Do they have more rights than God? Of course, the answer is unequivocally no.

So why then do we allow the Government to usurp these rights from us? If God's plan for us was a plan of Free Agency, then why do we sign away our agency to others? I can not fathom, nor will I choose to believe that it is because the American People no longer believe in the message of freedom. The only reasonable explanation that I can come up with, is that the American People have given up hope. That we no longer feel like it will make a difference what we do, for as we know the world is burning all around us. Brothers and Sisters, if you feel this way, please do not give up hope. The only thing that is stopping freedom from going forth again, is apathy. Too many people do not care about Politics, saying that it does not affect their lives, or that it is boring. I think a little part of me dies every time that I hear that, even more so when Members of the Church say that. The First Presidency has stated in a letter sent out June 29th, 1979 and read on Sunday, July 1st 1979 that “We encourage all members, as citizens of the nation, to be actively involved in the political process, and to support those measures which will strengthen the community, state, and nation—morally, economically, and culturally” If we are to follow the council of our Church Leaders, we must become politically active.

To become politically active, we must take action. No longer can we idly sit by for 4 years until it is time to vote, and then vote off of who has the best smile, is the best dressed, or the most electable. We can no longer vote for a candidate merely because he shares our religious beliefs. It means that we must diligently study both the Scriptures and the Constitution, and make informed decisions based off of these studies. We must ignore Party lines, and Politics. We must elect Men of Principle. Men who will fight for the rights granted us by God, being Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

It is my belief that the only Candidate that is fighting for these rights, is Texas Representative Dr. Ron Paul. Whether you agree with his views 100% or not there is no denying that Dr. Paul is a man of Principle. Every move of government that Ron Paul has been apart of, has followed in accordance with the Constitution of the United States, the document that was Divinely Inspired by God for this country. God has said, speaking to the Prophet Joseph Smith in the 98th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, that the “law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.” Further following the Word of God, Dr. Paul is the only candidate calling for America to become a Nation of Peace. How can other candidates, especially those whom are members of the Church support going to unnecessary war when God has commanded us to “renounce war and proclaim peace, and seek diligently to turn the hearts of the children to their fathers, and the hearts of the fathers to the children”

Often, I have heard many complain of Ron Paul's foreign policy. That it is dangerous. That it will cause our enemies abroad to attack the United States. Brothers and Sisters do not fall for this rhetoric. The lord has said “Therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy.” Further more, the Lord had told Nephi that as long as we remain faithful “I will fortify this land against all other nations” Brothers and Sisters, there is no need for this endless bloodshed to continue. There is no need for wars to be fought abroad for an unknown cause. For as long as we continue to follow the commandments of the Lord, and hold to the principles of the Constitution, we will be protected. And if war is at our doorstep, and deemed necessary do you not think that the Lord will bless us as he has blessed the Israelites and Nephites of old?

Another common complaint heard against the idea of limited libertarian governments is the foolish belief that a libertarian government is a government that is in its very nature cold, and uncaring. There is a belief that under a libertarian system of Government that the people of our great Nation will forget the poor, and turn instead into a life of greed and vanity. Again, as with all previous arguments against limited government, this is false. When the Lord God gave us the commandment to go and comfort those who stand in need of comfort, he was speaking to us, the individual. He was not speaking to the Government on Man. It is our job as Saints in these Latter Days to go ourselves and help those who need help. It is not the responsibility of our Government to do this for us. We need to bring the banner of joy to those who lack ourselves. To expect someone else to do it for us, and to allow us to claim credit for it, is laziness. Only our actions, not the actions of our government, will fulfill the commandment given unto us. There was a time, before our welfare state existed, that the elderly were cared for by their family. That the poor turned to their neighbors, or their church for assistance. Sadly, that time has, it would seem, come and gone. Instead now we look to our Government to save us in our time of need. At any time in the scriptures, have the people been allowed to simply wait and let God sort out our problems? The answer is no! The Lord expects us to put forth effort ourselves, and then turn to him for strength to do it. Yes, the time was passed where we as a society worked to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves, but that time can still be brought back. When the government eventually shrinks, we the people can and will fill the gaps that it left. A welfare state has no place within the confines of a constitutional government, and any candidate that will tell you otherwise has not read the constitution, or does not understand its basic principles.

Brothers and Sisters, as we have asked God to prove unto us whether the Gospel is true by prayer, let us ask God whether we should choose the principles of an ever expanding government, or a limited constitutional government that secures for us our rights granted to us by God. The message of Liberty has been echoed across the scriptures. Let me leave you know with the words that Captain Moroni wrote upon his Standard of Liberty, "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children" Let us do as Captain Moroni did, and raise this standard of Liberty in memory of our God, our Religion, our Peace, our Wives, and our Children upon all of the land.

Signed,
Jason Cannon

Please feel free to share this note with friends, and spread it to all that you know. I give full permission for this letter to be reproduced and shared withou consent.

For more information about Ron Paul, including more information about his beliefs, and policies, please visit www.ronpaul2012.com.

To join with other like minded Members of the Church, join the “Latter Day Saints for Ron Paul” group on facebook, at www.facebook.com/LatterDaySaintsForRonPaul

This letter is the work of a private citizen, and is not endorsed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or the Ron Paul campaign. All views expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ron Paul, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Please email me responses to this letter at jcannon98188@gmail.com