PDA

View Full Version : Just received a call asking me to donate to Ron Paul over the phone

intelliot
01-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Ms. Lyons, a volunteer with the campaign, asked me to donate $1,350. I told her I'm considering it, but if I decide to do it, I'd do it online. Less overhead, I should think.

I was tempted to ask her how much she has personally donated, but I didn't.

schiffheadbaby
01-13-2012, 05:38 PM
who is ms lyons, why do they ask for a specific amount? a little confused

intelliot
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I guess she is just a volunteer with the campaign. I am not sure why she starts off by asking for a specific amount.

trey4sports
01-13-2012, 05:59 PM
why would you ask her that? she is just doing her job....

KCIndy
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Ms. Lyons, a volunteer with the campaign, asked me to donate $1,350. I told her I'm considering it, but if I decide to do it, I'd do it online. Less overhead, I should think.

I was tempted to ask her how much she has personally donated, but I didn't.

That's a really, really odd amount to ask for. Especially for a "cold" call. The only possible reason I can think of for asking for $1350 would be - hypothetically - that you had already donated $1150 to the campaign and the $1350 would max you out.

STILL, it would seem like they would ask for the usual, "...could you donate fifty, one hundred, or even two fifty?"

Personally, I would be EXTREMELY cautious about this. Not what Ron Paul is surging, I'm guessing there will be any number of scammers out there pretending to be soliciting donations over the phone, then ripping off your credit card info.

My suggestion: Do just as you said. DONATE ONLINE ONLY: www.ronpaul2012.com

bluesc
01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
They are asking you to max out, I assume. They track how much left you can donate. Asking someone who is being paid to do a job how much she has donated makes no sense. She is doing her job. She may not support Dr. Paul.

V3n
01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
The call's legit - Lady_V3n got one too - googled the number and it was the HQ in Virginia. She asked how much until she's maxed out and they told her that it didn't show on the computer, but it was likely the number she was asking for because each call comes up a different number (mostly $2,500 she said!)

This moneybomb tomorrow is super important - they're pulling everything to rake in as much as they can - Super Tuesday will be here closer than you think!!

Didn't you have to listen to the pre-recorded Ron Paul voice message before she came back on to ask for your pledge/donation?

kylejack
01-13-2012, 06:20 PM
If she's asking for that much, I'm assuming they're looking for whales to max out based on previous donation amounts. I kick in $20 here and there when I can and I've never gotten a call like that.

asurfaholic
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
They called me and asked for a specific amount as well, I think they are calling their previous donors and applying some standard based on how much you donated in the past. I have several $20,30,50 donations, so the amount they asked would have doubled the amount I think. Maybe that's what happened, or maybe its based on some other criteria.

For safety's sake, I always donate to the campaign online, but I have no doubt that the call was legit.