PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul could possibly mudstomp Romney in VA!

Intoxiklown
01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I've been crusiing other forums, and conservatives are FURIOUS over VA.....LOL. They are all saying they will vote for Ron Paul just to show the "establishment" they can't force Romney down their throat. A few excerpts....

MAnHeKL “It is also fair for all of the Virginia Conservative voters to cast their votes for Ron Paul because, given the choice between the 2 [Paul & Romney], Paul is the more conservative.

Newtie and the Beauty "Romney, for me, is a no-go. He wasn't right in 2008, and he's not right now."

Twobits1 "I'd vote for Paul over Romney if I was in VA. At least he's honest."

I keep telling people, if we can make it a two man race, once Romney and Paul hit the south...he is DONE. They DESPISE Romney!

Austin
01-13-2012, 04:57 PM
I've been crusiing other forums, and conservatives are FURIOUS over VA.....LOL. They are all saying they will vote for Ron Paul just to show the "establishment" they can't force Romney down their throat. A few excerpts....

MAnHeKL “It is also fair for all of the Virginia Conservative voters to cast their votes for Ron Paul because, given the choice between the 2 [Paul & Romney], Paul is the more conservative.

Newtie and the Beauty "Romney, for me, is a no-go. He wasn't right in 2008, and he's not right now."

Twobits1 "I'd vote for Paul over Romney if I was in VA. At least he's honest."

I keep telling people, if we can make it a two man race, once Romney and Paul hit the south...he is DONE. They DESPISE Romney!

Anecdotal evidence aside, PPP polls with a Romney v. Paul matchup are not in our favor.

Still, a Romney v. Paul matchup will ultimately work in our favor with the right ad campaign and adequate funds.

Ben Bernanke
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, for some encouragement here is a poll I posted on VA's most popular car enthusiast forum, which has an active politics section. I had no idea there were this many Paul supporters on the site, it was completely random.

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/current-events-politics-79/vadriven-ultra-official-gop-straw-poll-425112/

Intoxiklown
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
I think those polls are flawed in the sense that people answer them with the thought of another candidate in the back of their mind. The VA situation shows that with all others actually out of the picture, conservatives who don't necessarily agree with Paul will still vote for him over Romney.

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
They are not going to shove a limousine liberal from Massachusetts down the throat of the South, of that I can assure you.

Ben Bernanke
01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
They are not going to shove a limousine liberal from Massachusetts down the throat of the South, of that I can assure you.

Lol, don't tell the people in Northern VA they're in the south

Intoxiklown

Exactly.

A conservative Texan who is Baptist against a liberal Mormon from the north....that is a no brainer down here.

VoluntaryAmerican
Anecdotal evidence aside, PPP polls with a Romney v. Paul matchup are not in our favor.

Still, a Romney v. Paul matchup will ultimately work in our favor with the right ad campaign and adequate funds.

Source?

VBRonPaulFan
Well, for some encouragement here is a poll I posted on VA's most popular car enthusiast forum, which has an active politics section. I had no idea there were this many Paul supporters on the site, it was completely random.

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/current-events-politics-79/vadriven-ultra-official-gop-straw-poll-425112/

One of those people is me ;)

dbill27
What about the sc poll asking who voters would chose if it was just between paul and Romney? Paul did not do very well.

Ben Bernanke
01-13-2012, 05:07 PM
One of those people is me ;)

LOL awesome, a fellow troll. Who are you on there, I'll throw you some rep ;)

blazeKing
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
That's what I'm hearing too..it'll be sorta difficult because there are many many people who rely on big government here for work and good pay. I think we can do it, and I'll be out there to GOTV :D

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 05:10 PM
What about the sc poll asking who voters would chose if it was just between paul and Romney? Paul did not do very well.

Polls are changing fast... keep in mind that Gingrich and Romney are unloading on each other in a massive way and Paul is knocking out Santorum (and apparently doing quite well at it).

Nobody wants to criticize Paul because if they do they assure they can't win the general.

At some point even his opponents are going to have to acknowledge that he's the best man in the room for the job.

VBRonPaulFan
01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
LOL awesome, a fellow troll. Who are you on there, I'll throw you some rep ;)

sk8rmike

Ben Bernanke
01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
sk8rmike

oh nevermind :(

I gave you some on here though if it helps lulz

Sublyminal
01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
At work today, I saw no less than 30 RP yard signs, and lost count at how many RP bumper stickers I saw. And with the job that I have, I drive all over the seven cities. So Southern VA is Ron Paul territory.

And I'm not talking some podunk cities either, I'm talking Hampton, Va Beach, Newport News, Chesapeake, Norfolk and P-town.

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm in Northern VA and I see no lack of people fed up with the status quo. It may not be the big money people but it will bring people out to vote. The thing is that most of the real lefties even in NoVA are Democrats and most of those coming over to vote in the open GOP primary are going to be Obama crossovers - all the folks Obama threw under the bus: peace and anti-police-state factions, the black middle class, the tech sector, labor groups, the health sector... he burned a LOT of bridges that's why Democratic Party membership is down 21% under Obama. Even with to-be-expected, rampant fraud, Obama does not have a majority, not against someone who can bring new people into the political process, people who previously had given up hope.

The people wanted hope and change and Ron Paul is going to be the one to give it to them.

PhineasFinn
01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
How many delegates does VA award?

Sublyminal
01-13-2012, 05:35 PM
How many delegates does VA award?

49 IIRC

46 are soft and 3 are hard... and god that sounds so terrible.

Intoxiklown
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM

hahahahahahaha

Poor dudes.....

Ohio4Paul
01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Since the the Federal Judge has ruled that the other GOP candidates who were whining about the primary ballot rules have no recourse, the only two names to appear on the primary ballot will be Paul and Romney. This should be a HUGE game changer! I smell victory for Paul!

PhineasFinn
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
So since since it's only two candidates, that means whoever wins gets all the delegates since 50%+ is winner take all?

Sublyminal
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
So since since it's only two candidates, that means whoever wins gets all the delegates since 50%+ is winner take all?

Yep.

libertybrewcity
01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
delete

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm getting a strong sense that neo-cons in VA are ready to vote Paul in protest of Romney. Obamaromneycare biggest issue.

qh4dotcom
01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I hope the situation in Virginia isn't as bad as in South Carolina in a 2 man race...from today's PPP poll

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_SC_113.pdf

If the Republican candidates for President
were just Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, who
would you vote for?
Mitt Romney 63%
.................................................. ..
Ron Paul
28%
.................................................. .......
Not sure 9%

Revolution9
01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
49 IIRC

Braggarts most likely.

Rev9

Aratus
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
a win in Virginia helps along the eventual nominee come the Tampa convention.
we could see consistant battles between dr. ron paul and gov. mitt romney as
each state has a decidedly different "favorite son" picking up 1st, 2nd or 3rd!

Aratus
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
if there are three catigories come tampa, namely MITT, RON and OTHER...

the "favorite sons" and possibly favorite daughter should michele bachmann

get some of minnesota's delegates would decide the Republican nomination!

pulp8721
01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
If Ken Cuccinelli endorses Ron, Virgina's ours.

Paul or not at all
01-13-2012, 08:34 PM

People change all the time, remember when all the Cain people were going to Newt, then Newt placed last in IA.....

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
If Ken Cuccinelli endorses Ron, Virgina's ours.

Let's put it this way... Cuccinelli is the first candidate I've ever voted for who has actually won office. "Flied" a Gadsden flag in the middle of his website during the campaign.

Duckman
01-13-2012, 09:30 PM
People change all the time, remember when all the Cain people were going to Newt, then Newt placed last in IA.....

Paul wins because once people decide to vote for Paul, they don't switch to another candidate.

The Free Hornet
01-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Michelle "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann 2 ----- 4.65%

Flip Flopney 6 ----- 13.95%

Dr. Ron Paul 28 ----- 65.12%

Newt Gingrich 2 ----- 4.65%

Rick "Texas" Perry 3 ----- 6.98%

Jon "The Other Mormon" Hunstman 1 ----- 2.33%

Rick "Frothy" Santorum 1 ----- 2.33%

Ah ha! So that's how professionals get the results they want. Pin a rose on your nose! FU Frank would be proud. :)

Patrick Henry
01-13-2012, 10:48 PM
All I know is that two of the most hilarious paragraphs I have ever read about VA are below lol.

“In ballot access as well as in reality, the 2012 campaign for the presidency is now a two-man race between establishment candidate Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, the candidate of authentic change,” said Ron Paul 2012 National Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton.

“Nothing new was learned here today, as the Virginia ruling merely confirms the suspicions of what many people feel about the viability of Perry, Gingrich, Huntsman, and Santorum. This is their crystallizing moment,” added Mr. Benton.

thoughtomator
01-14-2012, 04:46 AM
My ear to the ground is assessing the impact of the situation like this:

Gingrich vs. Romney is a proxy for neo/social conservatives vs. Rockerfeller bluebloods. Religious factions and war hawks vs. the money men. The former have the votes, the latter the money, candidates such as Bush, Dole, McCain being the epitome of this unholy fusion.

As much as each group has disdain for Ron Paul, they really loathe each other, probably because each has been the other's real competition for power for generations.

So what I am hearing is that the neo/socon wing is furious that none of their candidates on the ballot - they view it as Romney being shoved down their throats (dog whistle and all). They are not only ready but they are getting into "crawl over broken glass to vote against Romney" fervor. Wouldn't you know it... it looks like they are going to come out big for Paul as a big F-U to Romney and the Rockerfellers.

Things just got a little more interesting!

Mordan
01-14-2012, 06:05 AM
actually i think Ron Paul campaign should go all in in VA, if they want to prove America Ron Paul can win the nomination, he has to beat Romney in a one vs one fight.

VA is the battlefield for that before Texas and California.

Intoxiklown
01-14-2012, 07:09 AM
actually i think Ron Paul campaign should go all in in VA, if they want to prove America Ron Paul can win the nomination, he has to beat Romney in a one vs one fight.

VA is the battlefield for that before Texas and California.

This is exactly what I feel. And to be honest, thanks to the inpetitude of the other candidates, they have helped set the stage for a decisive win. While it's not exactly the "prime" state for this showdown, if you will, it has still become the "OK Corral" we've been waiting on. If Dr. Paul can drag Romney around by his left eyebrow and kick his teeth in there, it will be glaring evidence that he is, in fact, the anti-Romney candidate conservatives has been looking for.

That, and this would allow Dr. Paul to run a straight conservative campaign since his only competition will be Romney. Meaning, he doesn't have to try to so much separate himself from Newt, Santorum, and Perry looking for that voter block, but rather simply run on his record and the fact he is not a Mormon. The flip side of that coin, to not do well, could open a wound that will be hard to close.

Again, conjecture on my part, but I feel strongly about it.

Mordan
01-14-2012, 08:32 AM
let me rephrase it

it is not an "all in" situation because Ron Paul will go on even if he loses VA to Romney.

But in the current situation, i don't see any path to winning the nomination without beating Romney in VA One on One.

So really VA is a must win. Would you prefer a Win in Nevada or Virginia? I don't see RP winning Nevada from my 2008 experience. He can possibly win in VA.

OrbitzXT
01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I hope the situation in Virginia isn't as bad as in South Carolina in a 2 man race...from today's PPP poll

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_SC_113.pdf

If the Republican candidates for President
were just Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, who
would you vote for?
Mitt Romney 63%
.................................................. ..
Ron Paul
28%
.................................................. .......
Not sure 9%

I don't buy into those numbers at all. If it were a two man race with just Ron Paul debating Romney, and all the ads on TV focused either on Ron Paul or Romney..the numbers would switch in our favor pretty fast. This poll is probably asking voters who are still not aware of Ron Paul and think he's the unelectable guy and not a serious candidate. If it were just the two of them in the race, clearly voters would become aware of his electability and that he was serious. In which case they'd give him another look over and realize he's by far a superior candidate to Romney.

newbitech
01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't buy into those numbers at all. If it were a two man race with just Ron Paul debating Romney, and all the ads on TV focused either on Ron Paul or Romney..the numbers would switch in our favor pretty fast. This poll is probably asking voters who are still not aware of Ron Paul and think he's the unelectable guy and not a serious candidate. If it were just the two of them in the race, clearly voters would become aware of his electability and that he was serious. In which case they'd give him another look over and realize he's by far a superior candidate to Romney.

Polls change too as the election gets closer. This could have easily been a poll that said at this point in time, who do you THINK will win. I suspect that the reality is, as the race gets closer to those people, they will find out more details about the actual competition in the race, and possibily decide to vote for the underdog.

I think the underdog factor is huge in this race, and something that hasn't been exploited or pointed out very much.

speciallyblend
01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
This is exactly what I feel. And to be honest, thanks to the inpetitude of the other candidates, they have helped set the stage for a decisive win. While it's not exactly the "prime" state for this showdown, if you will, it has still become the "OK Corral" we've been waiting on. If Dr. Paul can drag Romney around by his left eyebrow and kick his teeth in there, it will be glaring evidence that he is, in fact, the anti-Romney candidate conservatives has been looking for.

That, and this would allow Dr. Paul to run a straight conservative campaign since his only competition will be Romney. Meaning, he doesn't have to try to so much separate himself from Newt, Santorum, and Perry looking for that voter block, but rather simply run on his record and the fact he is not a Mormon. The flip side of that coin, to not do well, could open a wound that will be hard to close.

Again, conjecture on my part, but I feel strongly about it.

@mordan as well;) sexy talk^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ron Paul 2012, i was born at dixie hospital va , what hospital is that for virginians? hint parents lived between williamsburg and va beach when i was born.

FreeTraveler
01-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Polls this far out are totally meaningless, as we've already seen proven in Iowa, New Hampshire, and now in South Carolina. Once the campaign moves into active status in a state, Paul's numbers always start trending up. People finally start paying attention instead of spewing what they saw on Fox or CNN, and has been mentioned several times, once you go Paul it's not likely you'll pick anybody else.

mhad
01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
imagine a VA debate RP vs Mitt...would be insane, RP would stomp all over him! Would Mitt agree to attend?

Steven Douglas
01-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I suspect that the reality is, as the race gets closer to those people, they will find out more details about the actual competition in the race, and possibily decide to vote for the underdog.

^^^This. Now that the VA GOP race is narrowed to Romney and Paul (yah-fricken-hoo! (http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/national_world/us-judge-rules-against-ballot-challenge/article_aeca232b-32e2-5192-8b01-e21e26c257fe.html)), I can't help indulging in the fantasy of a "mudstomp" of liberal Romney in VA.

“We remain disappointed that more Republican candidates are not on our primary ballot,” Mullins said in a statement. “As the judge ruled today, only two candidates met Virginia’s legal requirements. Under the court’s ruling, only Governor Romney and Congressman Paul will appear on the Republican primary ballot.”

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Texas Rep. Ron Paul were the only two candidates that the state GOP certified for the primary ballot.

Is Virginia somehow Romney's to lose by default? I honestly don't know. But I seriously doubt that. As already pointed out, once you go Ron Paul, you never go back. As for those who point out how many in VA rely on government handouts, don't forget the number of independent progressives there who will be in favor Ron Paul for their own reasons, as both parties have thoroughly betrayed a major part of their bases. I'm counting on that as a huge factor, as I believe it has been in all the races thus far.

seapilot
01-14-2012, 10:15 AM
imagine a VA debate RP vs Mitt...would be insane, RP would stomp all over him! Would Mitt agree to attend?

I would love to see a one on one debate Ron Paul vs Romney. I doubt Mitt would accept to participate if he knew what was good for him. It would such a contrast to have those debating each other, honesty vs pandering flip-flop.