PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Candidates Disallowed From VA Ballot

Epic
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Fox News is reporting on TV that a judge has ruled that Perry, Newt, Santorum, and Huntsman are off the VA ballot for good.

eduardo89
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Good!

Bruno
01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Fox News is reporting on TV that a judge has ruled that Perry, Newt, Santorum, and Huntsman are off the VA ballot for good.

+ rep, just saw that and was about to post.

Sounded like they were avoiding mention who that leaves on the ballot.

blazeKing
Then the die is cast, it is Romney vs Paul...And we will GOTV here

RonPaul101.com
This will be a focus for the media on Super Tuesday. We should fight very, very hard for VA. One on one with Romney, every registered voter gets a say. If it stays this way (by the rules) I can;t imagine a fairer fight for Ron Paul; and he is rarely given the chance for a fair fight.

Agorism
excellent

alucard13mmfmj
that is very good news. another state we must win in! its our chance to prove that in a romney vs paul scenario... paul wil come on top!

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
rule of law followed... there's a change

eduardo89
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Is Virgina a closed primary?

sailingaway
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I think it is justice, but I'm not sure if it is good or not. People in a suburb of DC are going to have to decide between Romney and Ron. Should be interesting.

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
and this, neither, is a part of the SC surge. Yet.

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I think it is justice, but I'm not sure if it is good or not. People in a suburb of DC are going to have to decide between Romney and Ron. Should be interesting.

Maybe maybe not, but it will SURELY help in all the state prior to VA. Such as SC and FL for example.

virginiakid
01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Virginia totally open. Anyone within voting age and a resident of the Commonwealth can vote regardless of party.

sailingaway
Is Virgina a closed primary?

Nope. The VA GOP is asking for a loyalty oath - if you vote GOP you have to 'pledge intent' to vote for the GOP nominee. Considering Newt is Virginian and has already said he wouldn't vote for Ron, this is problematic. For our cross over voters too, who would vote for RON if he were nominee -- they may just decide they intend for him to be nominee and to vote for him....

I can see not wanting people just gaming it, but if people actually WOULD vote for Ron in November, they should be able to vote or the state statutes for open primaries don't mean much.

jersdream
I suspect there will be an appeal.

aclove
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
This is great news, but unfortunately I don't see it posted online yet. Anyone have a link?

MichaelD
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
We need a really sting showing in VA, the media would really discredit a small win and we would be ridiculed to no end by a loss.

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Nope. The VA GOP is asking for a loyalty oath - if you vote GOP you have to 'pledge intent' to vote for the GOP nominee. Considering Newt is Virginian and has already said he wouldn't vote for Ron, this is problematic. For our cross over voters too, who would vote for RON if he were nominee -- they may just decide they intend for him to be nominee and to vote for him....

I can see not wanting people just gaming it, but if people actually WOULD vote for Ron in November, they should be able to vote or the state statutes for open primaries don't mean much.

That's actually how I read the pledge anyway. You can vote for Paul in the primary if you intend to vote for Paul in the General. There is no provision dictating that you will vote for the Grinch if Paul does not get the nod.

LisaNY
GOOD. You can't change the rules in the middle of the game!

Krugerrand

It would be fun to see Newt put on the spot for that in a debate ... will he take the pledge or not vote?

maxoutco
This is a good news day all around for us. :D

virginiakid
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM

The loyalty oath thing is being revisited. I got an email from the RPV district chair a week ago asking for peoples opinion. Of course, I told them that it is a stupid idea. So hopefully they drop it.

Refresh the Tree
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Wow! Huge news. If I had the little icon to rep you I would!

Warmon
01-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Yah! Speaking as a resident, it was the right decision. The rules have some flaws, but all of the campaigns knew what they were well ahead of time and only Mitt & Ron had the organizational skills necessary to be on the ballot.

eduardo89
01-13-2012, 02:56 PM

That's good news that its completely open, so it's like SC then?

I wouldn't worry much about the loyalty pledge. It's meaningless and isn't an enforceable contract. No one can see your vote, force you to vote a certain way, or even force you to vote at all for that matter. What would the VA GOP do? Sue you if you don't vote for their candidate? Stand behind you while you vote? Vote for you?

giovannile07
This should be great, honestly I don't see how anyone can see any candidate, except Ron Paul as the Republican Nominee, especially if one cannot even get on the ballot in all of the states. What makes someone think someone can lead if he can barely run in all fifty states to become the Republican Nominee?

Todd

and it's non binding...

Do what I will do. Sign and ignore it.

qh4dotcom
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I hope Virginia's numbers are not like South Carolina's...from today's PPP poll

If the Republican candidates for President
were just Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, who
would you vote for?
Mitt Romney............................................ ........ 63%
Ron Paul .................................................. ....... 28%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 9%

robert9712000
The possible great thing about this is the media will be encouraged to start making this a 2 man race between Paul and Romney thus pulling Santorum and Gingrich down.If we focus some decent effort in Virginia and actually beat or come in close to Romney this will destroy the unelectable argument once and for all

eduardo89
and it's non binding...

Do what I will do. Sign and ignore it.

Sign "No One But Paul" ;)

orenbus
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Although not scientific as there is a lot more probably not signed up, RonPaulCountry.com is reporting Virginia as a "top ten" supporter state with 73 volunteers registered, we many many more that I'm sure are there in the state ready to go all out with a battle against Romney's campaign for the state as it was back in 1776 this may come down to if we can win over Virginia.

http://www.ronpaulcountry.com/sites/all/themes/bluemasters/images/screenshots/charts_2434_volunteers.jpg

http://www.ronpaulcountry.com/sites/all/themes/bluemasters/images/screenshots/virginia.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6caJv__WSM

Blue_Merle
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
This will be a focus for the media on Super Tuesday. We should fight very, very hard for VA. One on one with Romney, every registered voter gets a say. If it stays this way (by the rules) I can;t imagine a fairer fight for Ron Paul; and he is rarely given the chance for a fair fight.

THIS. It will be crucial to win the first 1 on 1 vs Romney.

sirachman
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
removed

mosquitobite
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/perry-gingrich-lose-lawsuit-to-get-on-virginia-primary-ballot/2012/01/13/gIQAyN0pwP_blog.html

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 03:13 PM

would you vote for?

I don't think it's about winning VA as much as it is about collecting delegates from the states BEFORE VA. Even if we lose VA, the fact that it's Ron v Mitt only should boost our #s in the earlier states.

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Of course, collecting a crapton of delegates going into VA will help us in VA a lot too...

jersdream
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM

would you vote for?

Now that proves a ceiling.

virginiakid
01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
It depends. If Romney clearly become the front runner, I think there will be a low turnout in VA and this could help Paul win VA. If the race is close, could very easily be heated.

Luieburger
01-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Holy cow! That's huge!

RPit
01-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Make sure we get out Rons electability in VA