PDA

View Full Version : Paul persona non grata at evangelicals anti romney confab

kpitcher
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/174194/ron-paul-persona-non-grata-at-evangelicals-anti-romney-confab/

Not really a media spin category or a hit piece. Not sure if this is even very relevant.

Santorum, Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich appear to be the only candidates on the table as Evangelicals willfully ignore Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman. Huntsman is probably getting the proverbial shaft because despite his third place finish in New Hampshire, the former Utah governor is a comparatively weak candidate. And Paul’s Libertarian leanings are anathema to social conservatives who want to see a Bible-thumping commander-in-chief running the White House.

aclove
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Good. I say let them go right ahead and make themselves politically irrelevant.

PastaRocket848
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
nothing says "conservatism" like telling other people how to live.

Xenophage
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Can't have people living in homosinuality! Ya'll are homosinuals!

Feeding the Abscess
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Least surprising revelation ever.

kuckfeynes
01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I dunno... The outreach in IA seemed to be going pretty well until all those pastors jumped for the unvetted Santorum at the last minute.

I have to wonder, if the same approach is taken in SC, and all the pastors try to do the same at the last second with Romney or Gingrich, if it would be as effective.

sailingaway
01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Ron got the second largest group of evangelical voters after Santorum in Iowa. These people like to pretend they are speaking for 'evangelicals' but are only speaking for a subset of evangelicals for whom banning gay marriage federally is a single issue voter driver.

No one is more pro life than Ron.

sailingaway
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I dunno... The outreach in IA seemed to be going pretty well until all those pastors jumped for the unvetted Santorum at the last minute.

I have to wonder, if the same approach is taken in SC, and all the pastors try to do the same a the last second with Romney or Gingrich, if it would be as effective.

Don't know if the 'ban gay marriage at the federal level' subset has that level of power here. They were organized there, and it was a caucus, not a primary. Santorum wasn't vetted yet then. I still want to make sure we are vetting Huntsman to the colleges etc. We are surging 'too soon' possibly, and they might try to pump H again at the end. We have time to make sure everyone knows he voted for NDAA and supported TARP and we need to do that in comment sections on college sites or whatever (facebook ads? google ads?)

Kords21
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
So this a is a losing candidates forum? I can see it now "Hi, I'm Rick Perry and I'm a losing candidate for President. I've been delusional now for 6 months." Huckabee is making himself even more irreleveant than he already is.

bbartlog
01-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Perry's the only one of those three who is even evangelical. Those 'evangelical' leaders can't be taking their religion too seriously if they give consideration to two Catholics while eliminating Paul, who actually is an evangelical. For them politics comes before religion I suppose.

UNC08
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
My logic when defending libertarianism to Evangelicals is this: God supports the freedom of choice to the extent that he would allow you to choose eternal punishment rather than salvation -- surely he is in favor of freedom of choice everywhere else.