PDA

View Full Version : Drudge an Ally?

pilby
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
The left calls Drudge a right-winger, but Drudge calls himself an anti-government libertarian. Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul’s positions are “true to my heart … But I look at him and say, ‘The guy can’t lead.’ ”

From this article (http://nymag.com/news/media/36617/index1.html) published in Sept 2007. If you remember last time around Drudge basically ignored Paul just like everyone else, probably because he thought his campaign just wasn't serious or newsworthy.

This time around is a completely different story, though, isn't it? My impression is that his choice of articles, headline wording, placement and pictures shows a clear but subtle pro-Paul bias. Am I just imagining things?

We all know what a huge effect a slight media bias can have, and Drudge's pull with Republicans is hard to overestimate.

rachmiel
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Drudge is an ally. He's subtly anti-establishment. He still has to appeal to the base, but the mere fact that he doesn't ridicule Ron Paul makes him a friend.

blazeKing
01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
The guy links to infowars articles..I'd say he's somewhat on our side

Jtorsella
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
He never linked to a single newsletter story even at the height of the frenzy. Enough said.

bluesc
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
He never linked to a single newsletter story even at the height of the frenzy. Enough said.

He did at one point.

bluesc
The guy links to infowars articles..I'd say he's somewhat on our side

Infowars may pay him to direct traffic.

jct74
one of the main people running the website, Charlie Hurt, also seems to have a pretty favorable opinion of Ron Paul
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?292517-Matt-Drudge-Hires-Washington-Times-Columnist-Charles-Hurt&p=3835568&viewfull=1#post3835568

Xenophage
Those who aren't against us are with us? Maybe.

thoughtomator
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be too sure he's an ally - he has many longstanding ties to the pundit class that brought us Bush. I have a photograph of myself and he back in 1998 from an "impeach Clinton" rally, had have long since been excommunicated from that crowd for being too libertarian and not enough of a war hawk. Be wary.

low preference guy
01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
His main job is linking to the most relevant news articles. He can flavor it slightly with his personal opinion, but not go overboard, to maintain his credibility. And from the way he spins the articles, it's absolutely clear he wants RP to be president really badly.

vita3
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
He's not as bad as some others. that's about it.

sailingaway
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
I think it depends on who is manning the desk to some extent.

CaptUSA
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
‘The guy can’t lead.’

Except that the definition of leadership is the ability to influence people to pursue a common goal. Well, damn if he isn't leading us!!!

And when you have the ability to lead independent-minded people - a task that is harder than herding cats - you have true leadership. That is far different than people following you because they are afraid of what you might do to them or following you because of what they hope to gain from you.

Crystallas
01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Part of Drudge's headlines are derived off the demand that he receives to post links. You shouldn't confuse a subtle attempt at being objective with him supporting or opposing anyone at this point. All though I do have a feeling that he likes Ron a lot more.

Unknown.User
01-13-2012, 02:23 PM

UtahApocalypse
01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
No he is not..... and that is what is right.

Nobody should expect ANY media to be allied with a candidate. They should be fair, objective, and report the facts to the viewers. Drudge is one of the few who is a journalist and has given every candidate a fair report.

White Bear Lake
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
He's good, but as others have said, he doesn't single handily run the site by himself. Atleast one of his staffers is known to be very pro-Paul.

moderate libertarian
01-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Drudge an Ally?

From this article (http://nymag.com/news/media/36617/index1.html) published in Sept 2007. If you remember last time around Drudge basically ignored Paul just like everyone else, probably because he thought his campaign just wasn't serious or newsworthy.

This time around is a completely different story, though, isn't it? My impression is that his choice of articles, headline wording, placement and pictures shows a clear but subtle pro-Paul bias. Am I just imagining things?

We all know what a huge effect a slight media bias can have, and Drudge's pull with Republicans is hard to overestimate.

These days, yes.

Drudge also played a big part in pushing pro Iraq war stories like rest of MSM in past years, but let's hope he's got a new religion now and change is for good.

Paulitics 2011
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
No.

We drudged the Romney comes to town 2 days before NH primary, he did not mention it until after. We could have won NH.

Local media is our safest bet. Contact local SC radio stations today!

Even Ron said that was an unfair attack.