PDA

View Full Version : Sunday donations compromise

momof6
11-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I saw a previous post about objections to having so many fundraising days on Sunday and want to propose a compromise. . . Start the 24 hour period prior to midnight.

As long as everyone knows the timeframe we are pushing for (remember the discussion on the 5th about whether the day is extended for West Coast contributors?) what difference does it make whether the bomb begins at 6pm Saturday night (for example) or midnight? NO one can argue that a record doesn't exist when 24 hours = 24 hours. There is also the possibility that there will be more excitement generated because people who aren't asleep will be watching the start of the bomb and the final minutes.

As an alternative, the day could also be extended the other way so that Monday news coverage shows the donation in progress to generate interest to people listening to the radio on the way to work.

Just a suggestion. No reason to exclude any donors whether we understand or agree with their reasons, especially when notice was given in plenty of time to accommodate them.

Visual
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I saw a previous post about objections to having so many fundraising days on Sunday and want to propose a compromise. . . Start the 24 hour period prior to midnight.

As long as everyone knows the timeframe we are pushing for (remember the discussion on the 5th about whether the day is extended for West Coast contributors?) what difference does it make whether the bomb begins at 6pm Saturday night (for example) or midnight? NO one can argue that a record doesn't exist when 24 hours = 24 hours. There is also the possibility that there will be more excitement generated because people who aren't asleep will be watching the start of the bomb and the final minutes.

As an alternative, the day could also be extended the other way so that Monday news coverage shows the donation in progress to generate interest to people listening to the radio on the way to work.

Just a suggestion. No reason to exclude any donors whether we understand or agree with their reasons, especially when notice was given in plenty of time to accommodate them.

Harder to promote. Marketing is very important ,and it's a lot simpler to promote Tea party day, than this day from such and such time to that day and such and such time.

Menthol Patch
11-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Yes, it all needs to happen on one day. Having it over a weekend would screw things up.

justinc.1089
11-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah making it go from the middle of the day to the middle of the next day would be a VERY hard concept to get across to people.

One date works just fine, and like at least 90% of the people on here agree donations on the 16th ONLY. This group brainstormed up the completed Nov.5th fundraiser, so you can't argue with the consensus on here lol.:)

literatim
11-10-2007, 06:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with Sunday. Anyone who is going to donate will donate irregardless of the fact that it's a Sunday.

momof6
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
My point is not to debate whether a Sunday fundraiser is appropriate or not. I am pointing out in plenty of time that there are some objections. Nothing needs to change as far as the promotion of the "Tea Party", but if those who are involved and getting more support know that the hours prior to midnight will be counted toward the total, when or if the objection is raised they can then mention the alternative donation time (ie. 9pm eastern). Personally, I doubt the hours between 9pm and midnight on the 16th will be your most active time for new donors anyway. For those on the West coast it is all the same anyway, but the closer you get to Eastern time there is less wiggle room.

Does anyone have statistics from the 5th donations to see if the pace continued steady until midnight or if there was a drop later at night?

You may be right that those who will donate will donate anyway, but those donations might not be counted toward the "BIG" day, especially if they are met with the attitude that we don't really care. Remember we are a DIVERSE group.

chestertime
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
it stayed steady until midnight:
http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/nov_5_extended_total.png

literatim
11-10-2007, 07:17 PM
My point is not to debate whether a Sunday fundraiser is appropriate or not. I am pointing out in plenty of time that there are some objections. Nothing needs to change as far as the promotion of the "Tea Party", but if those who are involved and getting more support know that the hours prior to midnight will be counted toward the total, when or if the objection is raised they can then mention the alternative donation time (ie. 9pm eastern). Personally, I doubt the hours between 9pm and midnight on the 16th will be your most active time for new donors anyway. For those on the West coast it is all the same anyway, but the closer you get to Eastern time there is less wiggle room.

Does anyone have statistics from the 5th donations to see if the pace continued steady until midnight or if there was a drop later at night?

You may be right that those who will donate will donate anyway, but those donations might not be counted toward the "BIG" day, especially if they are met with the attitude that we don't really care. Remember we are a DIVERSE group.

They can't and won't be counted towards the total. All that matters is what the FEC reports and what can be calculated within a 24 hour period.

RonPaulForLife
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I estimate about 5 people who refuse to donate on a Sunday.

wisconsinite
11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Bad idea

Van Damme
11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I think we should determine whether the campaign's donation server can handle the load. I get the feeling that it was just only keeping up on Nov. 5th. If it is determined that the donation server cannot handle the load (and will not be upgraded), then a two-day donation surge may not be a bad idea. If we crash the donation server on the 16th, then all of our hard work promoting the event would be wasted.

wisconsinite
11-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I've seen absolutely no evidence to suggest that the server had any difficulty on the 5th.

Jobarra
11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
I've seen absolutely no evidence to suggest that the server had any difficulty on the 5th.
Quite a few have stated that their donations did NOT go through. You don't want to miss $5M because you have faith in an untested server. I'll be participating in the stress test tomorrow for Nov 11th during the time period already stated.

justinc.1089
11-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I estimate about 5 people who refuse to donate on a Sunday.

Yeah and I think I saw about 2 people objecting to limiting donating to only Sunday.

The few of you wanting to do a 2-day donation need to stop and realize that will just split the same amount of money being donated in half spread out over 2 days. By the logic that having a 2-day donation will bring in 2 times as much money, or even 1.5 times the amount of money, we should do a 20 DAY DONATION DRIVE!!!!!:D:rolleyes: