PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul is a Southern Baptist and South Carolina is Saturated with Baptists

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I know that Dr. Paul feels that wearing his religion on his sleeve is pandering to the religious demographic of voters, but he is the one candidate that could garner their support. With Romney being Mormon and Gingrich being Catholic, RP favors to do very well. Baptists are by far the highest ranking religious group in SC. Not to mention the 6th ranking Southern Baptist state in the US.

So why doesn't the RP campaign promote this message more heavily?

SC% USA%

Percent Religious 40.12% 48.34%
Catholic 4.17% 21.76%
LDS 0.43% 1.66%
Baptist 19.14% 8.38%
Episcopalian 1.08% 0.53%
Pentecostal 2.66% 1.78%
Lutheran 1.35% 2.49%
Methodist 6.32% 2.98%
Presbyterian 2.96% 1.07%
Other Christian 1.55% 5.20%
Jewish 0.22% 1.81%
Eastern 0.19% 0.05%
Islam 0.06% 0.64%

Top 20 U.S. States with Highest Percentage of Southern Baptists in the Population

State Number Percent

Mississippi 869,942 33.81%
Alabama 1,313,907 32.52
Oklahoma 964,615 30.67
Tennessee 1,343,312 27.54
Kentucky 962,945 26.13
South Carolina 894,390 25.65 Ranked 6th
Arkansas 617,524 24.99
Georgia 1,582,520 24.43
North Carolina 1,446,228 21.82
Texas 3,259,395 19.19
Louisiana 757,639 17.95
Missouri 789,183 15.42
Virginia 742,860 12.01
New Mexico 158,873 10.49
Florida 1,167,850 9.03
Alaska 28,718 5.22
Arizona 162,887 4.44
Wyoming 18,674 4.12
Kansas 96,524 3.90
Maryland 131,627 2.75

frickettz
01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I thought he was Lutheran.

vechorik
01-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Early in life, but he made a personal decision to accept Christ as his savior and become Baptized in the Baptist church
It's at www.RonPaul2012.com, at the top tabs "issues" then click "statement of faith"

I talked to someone in my Tea Party about Ron Paul being a Baptist and she said:
"He must not be a very good one, else he would support Israel."

To combine the Israel-thing, with education about the Baptist thing would be good.

Pete Kay
01-13-2012, 10:50 AM

He was raised Lutheran, but is now a southern Baptist. I'm not sure when he switched, but he's been a southern Baptist for decades.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 10:53 AM

Low-key Southern Baptist goer..........

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2012/01/07/evangelicals-turning-to-ron-paul/

His parents were Lutheran

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 10:54 AM
So the question is. Why doesn't the campaign make more light of this?

specsaregood
01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
So the question is. Why doesn't the campaign make more light of this?

Because Paul thinks religious matters are personal matters.

moonshine5757
01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7097/ronpaulvvendetta.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/ronpaulvvendetta.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I'm Agnostic and I fully support pandering to the religious sector of SC. Anything that can help us win SC must be used. Also, the time to attack Romney is upon us.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Because Paul thinks religious matters are personal matters.

I've heard this too. But he also doesn't engage in mud slinging, but the campaign engages on his behalf. The same could be done with regard to his religious ideals.

Created4
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Bil Clinton is a Southern Baptist also. Just saying....

vechorik
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm Agnostic and I fully support pandering to the religious sector of SC. Anything that can help us win SC must be used. Also, the time to attack Romney is upon us.

+1 LOL (from a Christian)

also and important CORRECTION to the OP

Ron Paul is a BAPTIST. The Baptists split. Just because he lives in the south, doesn't mean he is a "Southern Baptist"

Ron Paul is "Baptist" according to his statement of faith.

LibertyEagle
01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Early in life, but he made a personal decision to accept Christ as his savior and become Baptized in the Baptist church
It's at www.RonPaul2012.com, at the top tabs "issues" then click "statement of faith"

I talked to someone in my Tea Party about Ron Paul being a Baptist and she said:
"He must not be a very good one, else he would support Israel."

To combine the Israel-thing, with education about the Baptist thing would be good.

I seriously do not get this. RP does support Israel. He just will not send our tax dollars to other countries. Any of them. But, nothing is stopping that person from sending their own money to Israel. It is the very same stance Paul has taken on giving medals to people of note.

Pete Kay
01-13-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm Buddhist and I agree. Pander!

If there was a forum like the Thanksgiving one that Ron participated while he was in Iowa shown in South Carolina, Ron would win.

specsaregood
01-13-2012, 11:16 AM

A good start would be to keep your mouth shut instead of saying what you just said. And that image only hurts as well.

moonshine5757
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
A good start would be to keep your mouth shut instead of saying what you just said. And that image only hurts as well.

What a despicable thing to say. Don't like my opinion than say it with some maturity and not a little child.

bluesc
01-13-2012, 11:25 AM
What a despicable thing to say. Don't like my opinion than say it with some maturity and not a little child.

Stop spamming that picture everywhere.

Muwahid
01-13-2012, 11:26 AM

And that sir, is why you're not Ron Paul

moonshine5757
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Stop spamming that picture everywhere.

I posted it twice. I'm not spamming it.

vechorik
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I seriously do not get this. RP does support Israel. He just will not send our tax dollars to other countries. Any of them. But, nothing is stopping that person from sending their own money to Israel. It is the very same stance Paul has taken on giving medals to people of note.

That's what we have to work against though -- Educate them of Ron Paul's Israel stand and that he's a Christian Baptist.
I think it's mostly because of the media-brainwashing and they haven't researched Dr. Paul AT ALL.

specsaregood
01-13-2012, 11:28 AM

No its true. Other campaigns and media read this site.
Suggesting that the campaign "pander" to religious folk in SC is insulting.

Let's look up the definition of "pander"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pander

pan·der
noun Also, pan·der·er.
1. a person who furnishes clients for a prostitute or supplies persons for illicit sexual intercourse; procurer; pimp.
2. a person who caters to or profits from the weaknesses or vices of others.
3. a go-between in amorous intrigues.

verb (used without object)
4. to act as a pander; cater basely: to pander to the vile tastes of vulgar persons.

You think suggesting the campaign "pander" is a positive message? no, what you said is despicable.

silk30
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Bil Clinton is a Southern Baptist also. Just saying....

LOL, nice. Bill Clinton is one criminal that America really should be more aware of, yet he is considered popular, cool, and was very instrumental in moving our country towards fiscal responsibility. "Clinton's dead friends" youtube would be an eye opener for anyone thinking Clinton is "cool".

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't think RP should step up to the mic and start quoting scripture. As a matter of fact I respect him for not using his religion as bait for swaying voters. However, I do think that he should make it more evident that he is a religiously grounded person. And has values that reflect the majority of Americans as well as South Carolina natives. I don't see it as pandering. Especially if it's his true sentiment. If done moderately and tactfully by the campaign, and less by his own voice at the podium, it will help his campaign.

ThePiousPriest
01-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Thing to know about the "Baptists" in these parts. There is a disconnect between their religious beliefs and political beliefs. The loudest Baptist churches are the ones calling for things like "no alcohol on Sundays, more state intervention on drugs, etc.". Ron Paul has my respect and he isn't like the stereotypical Baptists around here, but even the Baptists themselves admit that they are rather adamant about their positions.

moonshine5757
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
No its true. Other campaigns and media read this site.
Suggesting that the campaign "pander" to religious folk in SC is insulting.

Let's look up the definition of "pander"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pander

You think suggesting the campaign "pander" is a positive message? no, what you said is despicable.

First off, the word pandering means gratifying the desires of someone. It means yielding to or giving in to the demands made by someone or giving satisfaction to that person. In the simplest terms, in this context, the word pandering is a synonym of the word satisfying (someone).

My comments are based on the initial post. He clearly states that Paul doesn't want to wear his religion on his sleeve and pander for votes. I'm saying as someone that is not religious that I don't mind if he promotes his religion to pick up more votes to win. The word pandering was implied in the first post, so that is the word I decided to use. I could slap another word on it to soften the blow for you, but the reality is that if you seek religious votes, in my opinion no matter which candidate you are, you're pandering.

The word is not terrible, it means to satisfy! You on the other hand should know the context in which I used it, and to infer that I meant it as something villainous is frankly stupid.

Also, I find it disturbing that a fellow Ron Paul supporter would try to censor or try to demean my views because you don't share them. You sir aren't hearing the message of Ron Paul. If you fear the media so much that you'd lash out and insult a fellow Ron Paul supporter than I'm sad for you.

The Goat
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Being baptist could help in SC. thats all I'm saying. Baptist need some one like paul to look up to. their the most insulting "religion" in SC. When I was younger I was mormon and they routinely called me a satanist and said I was going to hell. This was when I was younger then 13. I'm now non-denominational. And much more happy with my Faith.

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
I like the suggestion in this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?350504-The-campaign-should-be-sending-people-to-SC-churches-to-hand-out-cookbooks) where emr1028 suggests handing out the RP Family Cookbooks and someone else suggests paperclipping a copy of Ron Paul's statement of faith inside.

Dianne
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Being from South Carolina myself, I can tell Ron Paul should attend Baptist services this Sunday in S.C. without fail !!!

There are thousands that would vote for Paul over a Mormon or Catholic anyday; if they had the knowledge he is one of them. In-fact, I didn't know it myself.

Dianne
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM

And Israel has asked the US to stay out of their business and get out of their way.

specsaregood
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Also, I find it disturbing that a fellow Ron Paul supporter would try to censor or try to demean my views because you don't share them. You sir aren't hearing the message of Ron Paul. If you fear the media so much that you'd lash out and insult a fellow Ron Paul supporter than I'm sad for you.

It seems you haven't heard the part of his message about self-control and self-moderation. I suggested self-censorship. You choice of words is insulting and so is your message.

abstrusezincate
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Pandering is when you change your beliefs to accommodate or mollify a certain group.

I think it's perfectly acceptable and advisable for both people here and in the campaign to educate the electorate about Ron Paul's faith. You don't need a sermon, but there would be great value in Ron taking some time to talk about how his personal faith shapes his political views, to talk about why he is a baptist (I bet many people don't even know if he is Christian), and let them make judgments as they will.

Should it be the focal point of this campaign? No. But it's fair to answer that question for those who value such things.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Being from South Carolina myself, I can tell Ron Paul should attend Baptist services this Sunday in S.C. without fail !!!

There are thousands that would vote for Paul over a Mormon or Catholic anyday; if they had the knowledge he is one of them. In-fact, I didn't know it myself.

Great idea, and from the looks of it, a lot of members here didn't know his religious affiliation. As a matter of fact, I'm not so sure they even knew he was religious, which is the point of this whole thread.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Pandering is when you change your beliefs to accommodate or mollify a certain group.

I think it's perfectly acceptable and advisable for both people here and in the campaign to educate the electorate about Ron Paul's faith. You don't need a sermon, but there would be great value in Ron taking some time to talk about how his personal faith shapes his political views, to talk about why he is a baptist (I bet many people don't even know if he is Christian), and let them make judgments as they will.

Should it be the focal point of this campaign? No. But it's fair to answer that question for those who value such things.

I'm a Ron Paul supporter and I approve of this message. :D

moonshine5757
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
It seems you haven't heard the part of his message about self-control and self-moderation. I suggested self-censorship. You choice of words is insulting and so is your message.

No sir, you haven't heard or understood Ron Paul's message. But keep putting down RP members and placating to the media, that is a super combination.

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2012, 01:08 PM
No sir, you haven't heard or understood Ron Paul's message. But keep putting down RP members and placating to the media, that is a super combination.

If you seriously think Specs has not heard or understood Ron Paul's message then I question either your sanity, your integrity, or your motivation.