PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

tbone717
01-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Look at the chart. 71% of Republicans & 36% of Independents describe themselves as conservative or very conservative. We will win this thing easily if we can keep pushing that Ron Paul is the most consistent conservative of all the candidates. In the general if we pull all the conservatives and only 11% of the moderates Paul wins over Obama. Push the fact that Ron Paul is the most conservative congressman of the last 65 years.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152021/Conservatives-Remain-Largest-Ideological-Group.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

Elfshadow
01-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Just because you think you are a conservative does not mean you are one. Look at all the people that think that conservative means being prowar.

tbone717
01-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Just because you think you are a conservative does not mean you are one. Look at all the people that think that conservative means being prowar.

It doesn't matter what they are, it is what they think they are. We aren't trying to change the definition of the word, we just want votes. There is a large segment of the voting population that will simply vote for the person they hear is the most conservative of the candidates because they self identify with the term.

If someone is a pro-war, big government, social conservative and wants to vote for Paul because he is the most conservative candidate are you going to turn his vote away?

Cody1
01-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Ah yes the age old "America is center right" thing. This country isn't largely conservative lol! I would have to say that roughly what we encompass..like 17% is conservative. The other 83% is liberal. I make peoples' heads explode from this logic all the time. This poll is BS. One of the largest fallacies of all time is believing we are a conservative nation.

tbone717
01-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Ah yes the age old "America is center right" thing. This country isn't largely conservative lol! I would have to say that roughly what we encompass..like 17% is conservative. The other 83% is liberal. I make peoples' heads explode from this logic all the time. This poll is BS. One of the largest fallacies of all time is believing we are a conservative nation.

The point is it does not matter if people that identify as a conservative are truly a conservative by our definition. What matters is that they vote for Paul because they call themselves a conservative and he is the most conservative of the candidates. We do not have the luxury of time to educate people on the true definition of conservatism - that is the stuff we do as a grassroots movement prior to an election. The task at hand right now is to win primaries and caucuses.

Kevin Smyth
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
It doesn't matter what they are, it is what they think they are. We aren't trying to change the definition of the word, we just want votes. There is a large segment of the voting population that will simply vote for the person they hear is the most conservative of the candidates because they self identify with the term.

If someone is a pro-war, big government, social conservative and wants to vote for Paul because he is the most conservative candidate are you going to turn his vote away?

You are missing the point, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh have brainwashed those folks into putting a pro-war stance above all other issues. They think anti-war is lefty.

Okie RP fan
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM

Are you meaning classical liberal? By all means, I think there are more modern conservatives than liberals. Nearly the entire Midwest and South U.S. are conservative. The only ultra-liberal areas are the coasts, and while those hold the most people, population wise, they still may not be a massive majority.

Just trying to understand what you are saying. If you think most people in this country are like Michael Moore, I think that is incorrect.

tbone717
01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
You are missing the point, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh have brainwashed those folks into putting a pro-war stance above all other issues. They think anti-war is lefty.

And while they have done that foreign policy is still way down the list of issues that matter to voters. The PPP poll in Iowa foreign policy came in at 7%, other polls show similar results. The economy is the big issue and even the Limbaugh's of the world have given some praise to Paul on his economic policies. If you think we do not have a shot at this because Fox News pushes the war so much, then we might as well save our money and our time and pack it all in.

The positive news from this survey is that people identify themselves as being conservative. We have the ability to push the fact that Ron Paul is the most conservative candidate. For the many people out there that vote only on labels, they can be persuaded to then cast their vote for Paul because he is the conservative and so are they.

tbone717
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Are you meaning classical liberal? By all means, I think there are more modern conservatives than liberals. Nearly the entire Midwest and South U.S. are conservative. The only ultra-liberal areas are the coasts, and while those hold the most people, population wise, they still may not be a massive majority.

PA is a good example. There is a section of PA they refer to in politics as the "T". It is essentially that part of the state that is not Philly or Pittsburgh. The "T" is a very conservative area, where the Philly and Pittsburgh areas are the Democratic strongholds in the state. As the saying goes, in Pennsylvania you have Philly, you have Pittsburgh and in between the two you have Alabama.

ConCap
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Just trying to understand what you are saying. If you think most people in this country are like Michael Moore, I think that is incorrect.

Classical Liberal.

I thought I was the only one that knew what that means.
No one on Red State or Tea Party Nation ever heard of it until I brought it up.
I said Paul was a Classical Liberal and not a Social liberal, thay were pi$$ed off and bannded me.

ConCap
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM

You are correct.

Being 100% for the Constitution makes you conservative, not a Conservative.
There are as many Conservatives as there are people.
Every one is trying to conserve what they believe in through politics, left or right.

You can’t just call your self a generic “Conservative” , you must call your self a Constitutional Conservative ( No social issues on a Federal level ) and differentiate your self from the other so called Conservatives that have compromised away all of our lost freedoms in the last 60 years.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?351712-Hello-I’m-ConCap-and-I’m-a-Constitutional-Capitalist&prefixid=news

justinjj
01-16-2012, 10:06 PM
the word "conservative" has absolutely no meaning today.

ConCap
01-17-2012, 07:14 AM
You are correct.

Being 100% for the Constitution makes you conservative, not a Conservative.
There are as many Conservatives as there are people.
Every one is trying to conserve what they believe in through politics, left or right.

You can’t just call your self a generic “Conservative” , you must call your self a Constitutional Conservative ( No social issues on a Federal level ) and differentiate your self from the other so called Conservatives that have compromised away all of our lost freedoms in the last 60 years.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?351712-Hello-I’m-ConCap-and-I’m-a-Constitutional-Capitalist&prefixid=news

bump

Liberty74
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Many of those that say they are conservative are FAKE conservatives. For crying out loud, the so called conservatives are rallying around Mitt who is an Obamalite.

tbone717
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Many of those that say they are conservative are FAKE conservatives. For crying out loud, the so called conservatives are rallying around Mitt who is an Obamalite.

It does not matter so much what they are, it is what they think they are. If they define themselves as conservative (whether they truly are or not) many will want to vote for the candidate that is defined as being the most conservative.

Frankly, I do not care one way or the other if a person is a flaming liberal but if he calls himself a conservative, and therefore votes for Paul because Paul is shown to be the most conservative candidate in the race then it is another vote for our guy.

We have to get past the idea that we are on a mission to convert the world to libertarian conservatism and focus on getting votes.

Voluntary Man
01-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Fake "Conservative" (i.e., neocon) = Pro Domestic Police-State + Pro Military Empire

Vs.

Traditional American Conservative / Real Conservative (i.e., "paleocon") = Pro US Constitution + Pro Bill of Rights + Pro Declaration of Independence + Pro Washingtonian/Jeffersonian foreign policy (i.e., Peace + Trade w/All, but Entangling Alliances w/None)