PDA

View Full Version : campaign disabling youtube comments?

frickettz
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Anyone have any idea why so many new RP videos have the comments feature disabled?

Sublyminal
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
People have been spamming them, from what I can see. Just a bunch of nasty crap.

Okie RP fan
01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a couple guesses as to why...

Don't know if it's appropriate to say or not.

But, let's just say that some "supporters" say things that are "out there."

People have been spamming them, from what I can see. Just a bunch of nasty crap.

This is what I was trying to say.

Steve-in-NY
Prob not a bad idea tbh

KingNothing
Have you ever seen the comments section of any youtube video?

They make the KKK seem tolerant. Every youtube video. Not just political. Every single video. Racism, Sexism, Anti-semitism, homophobia, beiberphobia, general bigotry... the hatred of youtubers knows no bounds.

AlexG
01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Prob not a bad idea tbh

It is a bad idea IMO, that was the great thing about RP videos was that we could comment

slamhead
01-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Now that we are in it for the money..better safe than sorry as I am sure they would be getting trolled hard by the person who want to act like Paul supporters and troll.

frickettz
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah I guess I share in some of that concern.. I did notice a lot of comments that were plainly no flattering to Ron Paul's positions. It's great to see the comments and see how popular the videos are and how many people post, but at the same time people can be brutal with their comments and sometimes those get voted up to the top. Like videos concerning Dana Bash. Sure her agenda is plainly obvious, but we need to tame our comments toward that subject.

Expatriate
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I suspect it is due to the problem discussed in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?346024-Help-clean-up-comments-on-important-official-Ron-Paul-video

Racist/antisemitic stuff is often selected by YouTube as the "top comment" on the video, even if it only has 2 or 3 thumbs up, and even if there are many other good comments with 100+ thumbs up. The media could use this in a smear attack.

I always assumed youtube top comments were chosen by which one had the greatest amount of thumbs up, but obviously they are not.

Check this out
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=71832af63442118f&hl=en

So all Ron Paul videos are always in danger of having some racist BS or something appear as the top comment, giving viewers the wrong impression about us. It only takes a couple people to thumb it up and it can beat one with 100+ thumbs up.

Schiff_FTW
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
They could moderate them but the campaign workers probably have better things to do.

Rincewind
01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
It's their prerogative.

And frankly, reading YouTube comments just makes me feel sad about human nature and society in general, so I'm kinda cool with it. There's much better ways to reach people.

And honestly, the videos do the job fine, have the comments to the videos every actually added anything to the experience? I mean, has anyone ever watched a Ron Paul video, felt ambivalent, then read some person ranting in ALLCAPS in the comments and only then came to the conclusion that they'd found the candidate they wanted to get behind?

Mickeys
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM

That is not what "spamming" means.

coffeewithgames
01-12-2012, 07:56 PM
If they just changed it, I expect some heavy hitting ads very soon...

Otherwise, it makes no sense to do it now, while they have been open the whole time.

harikaried
01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Recently? Or only the Santorum ad? What comments do you expect on a Santorum ad?

notsure
01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
It is a bad idea IMO, that was the great thing about RP videos was that we could comment

Seconded