PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the delegates awarded so far...

MrGoose
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
http://www.fox19.com/story/16502235/reality-check-the-truth-behind-the-republican-delegate-numbers

Great news at the end there.

Paul4Prez
01-13-2012, 10:00 PM
So what's the actual count?

Iowa: one source says it's 13-12-0 for Romney-Santorum-Paul. Another says it's 7-7-7. The video linked in the OP says it's really 0-0-0, since they're all unpledged.

New Hampshire: 7-3-2 for Romney-Paul-Huntsman according to the video, and the pledged total so far.

The Green Papers (http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/) has this count so far:

13 Romney
9 Paul
6 Santorum
4 Gingrich
3 Perry
2 Huntsman

1144 needed to win.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/scorecard/statebystate/r) has a different tally:

25 Romney
10 Paul
8 Santorum
4 Perry
3 Gingrich
2 Huntsman

MSNBC (http://elections.msnbc.msn.com/ns/politics/2012/all/republican/complete/) is off their rocker:

18 Romney
11 Santorum
6 Paul
2 Huntsman

My money is on CNN for being the most accurate. They appear to be tracking unpledged delegates as well, based on investigative reporting (?)

And don't forget to volunteer to be a delegate for Ron Paul in your state:

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/Delegate/

MrGoose
01-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Well the video says 7 of the delegates in Iowa said that they're going for Paul for sure, so that plus the 3 in New Hampshire means we have at least 10.

Paul4Prez
01-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Well the video says 7 of the delegates in Iowa said that they're going for Paul for sure, so that plus the 3 in New Hampshire means we have at least 10.

That jibes with the CNN count.

Mickeys
01-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Didn't we go through this 4 years ago? The delegates can say anything tthey want. But when it comes time to actually vote, they are not going to go against the will of the voters. If they did, it would be SUICIDE for the candidate that go those votes.

If the plan to do that succeeded in 2008, then Ron Paul would be out of politics right now. And Ron Paul was VERY MUCH against that plan 4 years ago.

It may not matter much for Ron Paul since this is his last shot anyway. (No..he will NOT be running in his 80s) but it will hurt every candidate you back in the future. For a group of people who talk about the will of the people and democracy to say as a delegate "Fuck the voters. I will just vote for who I want." will destroy your credibility.

Even letting people know that that is the plan will hurt Ron Paul in future primaries.

ninepointfive
01-15-2012, 02:40 AM
well, many delegates are actually unbound. not to mention when santorum drops out.

Dsylexic
01-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Didn't we go through this 4 years ago? The delegates can say anything tthey want. But when it comes time to actually vote, they are not going to go against the will of the voters. If they did, it would be SUICIDE for the candidate that go those votes.

If the plan to do that succeeded in 2008, then Ron Paul would be out of politics right now. And Ron Paul was VERY MUCH against that plan 4 years ago.

It may not matter much for Ron Paul since this is his last shot anyway. (No..he will NOT be running in his 80s) but it will hurt every candidate you back in the future. For a group of people who talk about the will of the people and democracy to say as a delegate "Fuck the voters. I will just vote for who I want." will destroy your credibility.

Even letting people know that that is the plan will hurt Ron Paul in future primaries.

dude,you are over reacting.when santorum,grinch and others drop out,why do you think their delegates are supposed to vote romney? where is the 'will of the electorate' coming into the picture here.obviously romney got his 7 +7 delegates.the rest of the unbound delegates are up in the air.and it is our job to network and convert those delegates. they are not robots who should simply endorse whover frothy or perry or grinch endorse.that is not what delegates mean

affa
01-15-2012, 02:50 AM

where in this thread did anyone talk about what you're freaking out about?

mmadness
01-15-2012, 02:51 AM

Disagree - when the principles that the replubic is founded on are threatened, then it is up to the republic to respond.

That is exactly why we have a system of delegates and electors, to protect against (for the most part), the uneducated masses. We are a republic, not a democracy.

Plus, if the delegates vote in Ron Paul, then they will ensure that we the people will have a voice in the future. Look at the Patriot Act, NDAA and SOPA. The way things are going now, if we do not do what we can through the delegate process to ensure that Ron Paul gets elected, there will be no freedom or "will of the people".

MrGoose
01-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Another thing I would like to point out is that only a fraction of the delegates have voted so far, and SC has lost half of their delegates. So even though we're still behind in delegates we just need everyone else to drop out before the count gets too high. Once it's just us and Mitt I think we could sweep the board.

EDIT: I mean only a fraction of the country... no delegates have voted yet heh...