PDA

View Full Version : REASON: Ron Paul's Possible Path to Victory

gb13
01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2012/01/12/ron-pauls-possible-path-to-victory

“President Paul! President Paul! President Paul!” chanted the 1,000 or so overwhelmingly young Ron Paul campaign volunteers and workers crammed into a ballroom at a Manchester Best Western on Tuesday night. Paul pulled a stronger-than-expected 23 percent in the New Hampshire primary, giving him a solid second place.

With dozens of national cameras pointed at him, Paul gave a great talk full of both raise-the-rafters red meat cheer lines and his professorial approach to monetary and foreign policy, not to mention the fight against crushing debt and the military-industrial complex. When it was over, a Paul volunteer next to me declared, with equal sincerity and irony, “I just had multiple Paulgasms.”...

Continued at link...

goliberty78
01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
what do you think about the Romney/Paul(Rand) rumor suggested? While I would love to have a Paul as the VP, I don't think its likely. I don't think he could continue to resist corruption (or a possible fall-guy setup) under Romney. Plus wouldn't this impact his ability to possibly persue a 2016 bid? Has a VP ever challenged a Pres? Also I don't think there would be enough Paul supporters that would be willing to make that trade (VP for Romney). But then again...if something happened and Romney was removed from office (extremely unlikely to happen)...we have a Paul President!

bluesc
01-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Brian Doherty is awesome! He linked here too.

A source close to Paul tells me he overheard, in a friendly-jokey colloquy between the Pauls and the Romneys at one of the weekend debates in New Hampshire, Romney saying it was now just all about whether it would be Romney-Paul or Paul-Romney. Romney and Paul have not abused each other much, and pundits have noticed how even a winning Romney will need Paul people in November.

:p

The Gold Standard
01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
what do you think about the Romney/Paul(Rand) rumor suggested? While I would love to have a Paul as the VP, I don't think its likely. I don't think he could continue to resist corruption (or a possible fall-guy setup) under Romney. Plus wouldn't this impact his ability to possibly persue a 2016 bid? Has a VP ever challenged a Pres? Also I don't think there would be enough Paul supporters that would be willing to make that trade (VP for Romney). But then again...if something happened and Romney was removed from office (extremely unlikely to happen)...we have a Paul President!

No, and we need to stop disseminating this nonsense. Mitt and Rand would be dumbfounded on election night watching Gary Johnson get 14% of the vote and Obama laughing all the way to the bank.

tennman
01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Would love to have RP one heart beat away from the presidency and being able to have an audience with the President. That would have to positively affect things. But we've still got a great campaign going. Let's get the presidency for Ron Paul!

Wren
01-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Can't wait to read this guy's Ron Paul book when it comes out. It should be good.

JJ2
01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Ron Paul as Romney's VP would be great for only one reason: watching the neocons such as O'Reilly, Levin, Rush, and Hannity having to endorse, promote, and vote for Romney/PAUL, after all of the nasty things they've said about him. Hahaha.

Rincewind
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Ron Paul as Romney's VP would be great for only one reason: watching the neocons such as O'Reilly, Levin, Rush, and Hannity having to endorse, promote, and vote for Romney/PAUL, after all of the nasty things they've said about him. Hahaha.

Fair point there.

I will say this: at the moment, Paul/Romney or Romney/Paul, despite being very unlikely, is still more likely than Paul/any other current candidate or Romney/any other current candidate, if for no other reason than because they haven't burned bridges with each other yet. Now, with the expectation that it becomes a one-on-one race, that will probably happen, but at the moment they've been rather cordial toward each other (including Paul defending Romney on the Bain issue). Gingrich and Santorum especially have completely burned any remaining bridges with Romney and Paul.

low preference guy
01-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Ron Paul's Possible Path to Victory

awful title. it doesn't say anything at all about RP's possible path to victory. or I missed it.

William R
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
bump

PierzStyx
01-12-2012, 07:07 PM
"Paul has the historic bonafides as the intellectual father of the Tea Party movement—the original gangster of insurrectionist objection to not just taxes but spending and bailouts as well." Best. Line. Ever.

Mini-Me
01-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Fair point there.

I will say this: at the moment, Paul/Romney or Romney/Paul, despite being very unlikely, is still more likely than Paul/any other current candidate or Romney/any other current candidate, if for no other reason than because they haven't burned bridges with each other yet. Now, with the expectation that it becomes a one-on-one race, that will probably happen, but at the moment they've been rather cordial toward each other (including Paul defending Romney on the Bain issue). Gingrich and Santorum especially have completely burned any remaining bridges with Romney and Paul.

I'm sure Ron Paul would prefer to die of natural causes a great many years from now, so he'd never be foolish enough to pick Mitt Romney (or anyone else the establishment likes) as his VP.

Rincewind
01-12-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm sure Ron Paul would prefer to die of natural causes, so he'd never be foolish enough to pick Mitt Romney (or anyone else the establishment likes) as his VP.

I did say it was highly unlikely. I was just saying that if one of the candidates ends up going crazy on the stage of a debate and stabs another candidate, it's not going to be Paul & Romney, or vice versa.

Mini-Me
01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I did say it was highly unlikely. I was just saying that if one of the candidates ends up going crazy on the stage of a debate and stabs another candidate, it's not going to be Paul & Romney, or vice versa.

I'd definitely vote Gingrich stabbing Romney as the most likely, followed by Santorum stabbing Paul. Huntsman wants to do it even more, but he might show more physical restraint. ;)

Rincewind
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I'd definitely vote Gingrich stabbing Romney as the most likely, followed by Santorum stabbing Paul. ;)

Watching him on TV, Gingrich seems to be at the stage where he's calling Romney's hotel room at 3 AM, asking him if his refrigerator is running, then hanging up and giggling maniacally.

sailingaway
01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
No, and we need to stop disseminating this nonsense. .

I agree. It is natural the topic will be tossed around, heck, we tossed it around about every other candidate on the debate stage at one time or another wanting it. But just like the 'third party question' it undermines the running of a campaign for the presidency, which is what we are doing.

Pundits saying it is all over, favoring Romney aren't taking into account the much longer run of proportional delegates than in other years. By the time we have finished those, remaining in the delegates in all of them, Ron will have to win states, but by then, I think there will be less fracturing of the conservative vote.

Let's worry about fallbacks if and when it becomes time to consider them.

sailingaway
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm sure Ron Paul would prefer to die of natural causes a great many years from now, so he'd never be foolish enough to pick Mitt Romney (or anyone else the establishment likes) as his VP.

I forget where I read it, but I'm remembering a post "Reagan was pressured to accept Bush as his VP, and he got shot...."

Hopefully things aren't that dire, but ideological consistency would be nice.