PDA

View Full Version : Parallels between Christianity and Campaigning

jcbraithwaite7
11-10-2007, 12:57 PM
So the title might be a bit shocking but I have seen other posts and comments asking "Is it Ron or the message", we have been called cult following zombies, and even accused of worshiping Dr. Paul. Maybe the title should be parallels between Christianity and Campaigning.

I am a Christian and I don't for one second forget where my TRUE hope really lies. However, I have been finding myself using examples that are parallel to Christianity/religion and this campaign. So while I would never consider what I feel for Dr. Paul and the message of freedom "worshipping" I do feel there are parallels.

Example 1.
While passionate and with the best of intentions over zealous Christians shouting and preaching fire and brimstone have turned more people off to the Christian message than have won people over. The presentation of the message is vital. Overwhelming someone with scriptures and fear is the same as dumping too much information and bringing up CFR, one world domination, micro chips etc. stop doing that!

Example 2.
I am a cancer survivor. I always believed in God but it wasn't until I was humbled and literally brought to my knees (barfing for a week at a time will do that) did I realize how much I needed God in my life. Our American way of life is literally on the verge of being brought to its knees. Maybe then people will realize how important freedom, liberty and our Constitution is.

Example 3.
At church there are always a few people who do everything. The standard 80/20 rule- 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. There are too many people who believe in the mission, agree with the direction and generally want to do more but sit back and let others do the work, join the commitees, donate and spread the message. For a church to thrive you need more propeller and less rudder to get somewhere. People need to get off the sidelines and start getting involved.

Example 4.
Tithing. A sensitive subject for many Christians. Tithes are needed to get things done. We need to give even when we don't have the money. It is often said that the gifts we give come back to us and we will be blessed. Ron Paul's campaign needs the money and the return of our freedom is worth it and truly will come back to us. So pass the plate and quit making excuses.

Example 5.
Many people who believe in the basics of Christianity disagree on interpretation or specifics. In-fighting has divided so many churches and if not kept in check could do the same for our campaign.

Example 6.
Being part of the Christian faith really connects you to others with the same belief. I may have nothing in common with other Christians but our faith makes it possible for us to have something in common. When I was at the post-debate rally in Orlando I was amazed at the diversity. People I really have nothing in common with share the same passion and goal that I have. Same with Dr. Paul's message. Freedom may be popular but the message is unifying.

Example 7.
Faith combined with action is the best we can do. I believe in Heaven. Some don't. Some laugh at me and think "Why are you wasting your time with being a Christian when it may not even be for real." We don't know what will happen when we die but we need faith. We need to do the things here on earth to gurantee that we end up in Heaven. I don't know if Ron Paul will win. People laugh at me for believing he can. We need to do ALL we can do to make sure that he does win and have faith that the result will turn out the way we hope.

Example 8
Christianity is based on free will. God doesn't make us follow Him he wants us to make our own choices. Those choices have benefits and consequences but in the end God wants to give us free will to make them. Ron Paul's message is about free will. Decisions we make have benefits and consequences and we must be prepared and responsible for both. So I guess God would check Libertarian if he was registering to vote. Free will doesn't mean we don't take care of needy, or less fortunate. It means we choose to do that and are not forced to do it. I love to garden but doing it on my own is very different from someone forcing me to go pull the weeds. I don't like to be forced to do something and many times am more apt to do it if it is my choice. I would be much more compassionate on my own if I wasn't being forced to take care of others via taxes and entitlements.

Example 9
Once you hear the message you are never the same. Sometimes you may need to hear the message more than a few times to finally get it. "I once was blind but now I see..." is very much how I felt once I realized the importance of sound money, the evil of The Federal Reserve, the importance of freedom and protecting The Constitution.

Example 10.
As a Christian the Bible is the foundation. As American's The Constitution is our foundation. I would never attend a church and follow a pastor who says, "Well... the Bible was good in its day but times have changed so we don't have to follow what is says anymore." Just as we should never allow a leader to disregard The Constitution because 9/11 changed everything.

So Ron Paul's message is not a religion. I do not worship him. However, his message just like that of the Christian faith is do or die. We are at a point in our country that it is do or die- our freedom will be lost. So with that... GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!!

shepburn
11-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Amen

RPFTW!
11-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm an atheist but I like.

NewEnd
11-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Lets just not go there

;)

Cindy
11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Lets just not go there

;)

Exactly!! Remember what happened to John lennon and the beatles after he went there.

Use Ghandi and or MLK if you have to use someone.

Goldwater Conservative
11-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, although I don't think there's anything literally divine about him, I agree that he'd save the Republic and liberty if elected. Hopefully, he doesn't have to make the same sacrifice. :)

jcbraithwaite7
11-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Exactly!! Remember what happened to John lennon and the beatles after he went there.

Use Ghandi and or MLK if you have to use someone.

I guess the title should have been parallels between campaigning and Christianity. I didn't write this to incite anyone... I wrote it because for me and my faith there is a parallel. You might not see it. There might be a parallel between MLK or Ghandi... I don't know. Nowhere did I say that Ron is the Messiah. I thought I was refuting the accusation that we are "worshipping Ron"

Menthol Patch
11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
When there is only one congressman in our entire government that is not a complete TRAITOR we should be almost worshiping that person!

Cindy
11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I guess the title should have been parallels between campaigning and Christianity. I didn't write this to incite anyone... I wrote it because for me and my faith there is a parallel. You might not see it. There might be a parallel between MLK or Ghandi... I don't know. Nowhere did I say that Ron is the Messiah. I thought I was refuting the accusation that we are "worshipping Ron"

I understand. I am just saying that a lot of people, mostly Christians, get VERY upset when they see anyone being compared to Jesus.

I agree, Paul is a Bright Light in this world and quite a way shower for goodness in the world, in his own way.

jcbraithwaite7
11-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, I agree some Christians are very sensitive to comparisons. I would hope anyone who read this would realize the difference between a parallel (lines going in the same direction) and comparing (head to head who is better Jesus or Dr. Paul- which is NOT what this was about) But could it not be said of both the Christian and Freedom messages that the goal of both is peace, freedom, personal responsiblity, compassion, hope and even the importance of fiscal responsiblilty (The Bible has lots of lessons on money and wealth)

I guess I have been scratching my head a bit at why other Christians would not embrace Dr. Paul's message more when it really is very parallel to their own.

weatherbill
11-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I have a great Ron Paul flyer just for churches. PM me you email to get it!

It is powerful!

navi
11-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Lets just not go there

;)

Agreed!

I don't like these comparisons because I don't want the Ron Paul campaign to be associated with weird cult behavior or anything like that. Ron Paul is a good man with a consistent message and voting record and that is his appeal. But I'm more concerned with the message itself more than the man....

Zanius
11-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Could've used a better title but great post.

torchbearer
11-10-2007, 04:49 PM
That is a scary comparison, Ever heard of the path of the hero?
Martin Luther king jr.
Jesus
Gandhi
all the big social movers... they all die by violence in the end before their goals are obtained. I don't want Ron in that category just yet.

starless
11-10-2007, 04:52 PM
It's a really really bad idea to make that comparison. We already seem crazy/cultish/messianic regarding Dr. Paul.

jcbraithwaite7
11-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Agreed!

I don't like these comparisons because I don't want the Ron Paul campaign to be associated with weird cult behavior or anything like that. Ron Paul is a good man with a consistent message and voting record and that is his appeal. But I'm more concerned with the message itself more than the man....

So Christianity is now considered a weird cult behavior? There was nothing cultish about what I said. If nothing it was to refute that it isn't a cult. Maybe I should have compared it to sales and the process of "closing the deal" but for me that seems somewhat cold and sterile.

Ok.... never mind I guess the point of all of this was misunderstood. I have personally been offended when I heard things like "oh they worship St. Paul" or "Pauliacs believe that Ron is their Messiah" stuff like that really offends me and trust me I see it on other boards all the time. I was simply making the observation that the same things that help, hurt, and happen within a church can also relate to a campaign... not that the campaign is a new religion.

Simply like an analogy.

My apologies if I offended anyone. My goodness... from that reaction you would have thought I was spouting 911 crap or something or said, "Hey... let's do a chip-in to build an alter to Ron" So sorry for "going there"

navi
11-10-2007, 05:03 PM
So Christianity is now considered a weird cult behavior? There was nothing cultish about what I said. If nothing it was to refute that it isn't a cult. Maybe I should have compared it to sales and the process of "closing the deal" but for me that seems somewhat cold and sterile.

Ok.... never mind I guess the point of all of this was misunderstood. I have personally been offended when I heard things like "oh they worship St. Paul" or "Pauliacs believe that Ron is their Messiah" stuff like that really offends me and trust me I see it on other boards all the time. I was simply making the observation that the same things that help, hurt, and happen within a church can also relate to a campaign... not that the campaign is a new religion.

Simply like an analogy.

My apologies if I offended anyone. My goodness... from that reaction you would have thought I was spouting 911 crap or something or said, "Hey... let's do a chip-in to build an alter to Ron" So sorry for "going there"

No I never said Christianity is a cult. Comparing Ron Paul to Jesus makes this movement seem like a cult. I've heard of people accusing us of treating him like he was our messiah. I'm just sensitive to those accusations because it cheapens what RP stands for and why his supporters are so passionate.

I'm not offended, I just want us to stay clear from those types of comparisons.

conner_condor
11-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Would it be safe to say that Pat Robertson is the devil and he just endorsed the anti-christ julie annie.. Christians should really look at that also.:D:D:D

Badger4Paul
11-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Ron Paul kinda like Howard Roark imo, stand up for ideals no matter the reactions- especially the 424-1 votes.

jcbraithwaite7
11-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Would it be safe to say that Pat Robertson is the devil and he just endorsed the anti-christ julie annie.. Christians should really look at that also.:D:D:D

Well... maybe Pat Robertson isn't the devil... but I do wonder how many pieces of silver he got and if it was more than Judas.

Mattsa
11-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Lets just not go there

;)

Ermmmm YUP! Agreed

Indy Vidual
11-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Agreed!

I don't like these comparisons because I don't want the Ron Paul campaign to be associated with weird cult behavior or anything like that. Ron Paul is a good man with a consistent message and voting record and that is his appeal. But I'm more concerned with the message itself more than the man....Same here, the thread title does not help our image, IMO.

LibertyEagle
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I understand. I am just saying that a lot of people, mostly Christians, get VERY upset when they see anyone being compared to Jesus.

Agreed. This was a VERY poor choice of thread title.

literatim
11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Do you people sit around and think up what kind of offensive threads you can create to make the people in this forum look bad?

Menthol Patch
11-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I would say Ron Paul is very much Christ like.

ClayTrainor
11-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I would say there is one major discrepency, we can prove Ron Paul exists and theres no proof that jesus ever did :P

framecut
11-10-2007, 05:58 PM
So Ron Paul's message is not a religion. I do not worship him. However, his message just like that of the Christian faith is do or die. We are at a point in our country that it is do or die- our freedom will be lost. So with that... GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!!

This is getting stupid.

framecut
11-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I would say Ron Paul is very much Christ like.

He shook hands with the ANTI-CHRIST the other day...

framecut
11-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Agreed. This was a VERY poor choice of thread title.

Just don't say Ron Paul is Muhammad! For all that is holy!

conner_condor
Do you people sit around and think up what kind of offensive threads you can create to make the people in this forum look bad?

Yep, sometimes I wonder if they are infiltrators from other campaigns with posts like these. Do they think of the damage these threads could cause? I am sure they do is why they post them....

Menthol Patch
Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere..... go tell it on the mountain that Ron Paul is for freedom!

jcbraithwaite7
11-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Yep, sometimes I wonder if they are infiltrators from other campaigns with posts like these. Do they think of the damage these threads could cause? I am sure they do is why they post them....

OK so
1. Yes it was a bad title. My bad
2. I am anything but an infiltrator.
3. If I don't know a thing about football... I guess I might not be able to understand a sports analogy. "Hey guys... it is like senior year and this is our last chance for a championship. It is 4th down with 2 seconds on the clock. We need a hail mary pass with a button hook or we will end up in the locker room in defeat...." If you don't know football it makes no sense. If you aren't a Christian and have never been involved in "organized religion" then my ANALOGY might not make sense.
4. I thought that an articulate observation (with good intentions) would be accepted but guess not. Note taken.
5. Guess the need to always be "politically correct" even creeps in here.
6. My apologies to anyone offended.

weatherbill
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a great Ron Paul flyer just for churches. PM me your email to get it!

It is powerful!

don't mean to repeat....jsut want fresh viewers to get it

Man from La Mancha
11-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I have a great Ron Paul flyer just for churches. PM me your email to get it!

It is powerful!

don't mean to repeat....jsut want fresh viewers to get itWhy not just post it here?