PDA

View Full Version : Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight

mosquitobite
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight (ttp://news.yahoo.com/amish-men-wont-budge-buggy-fight-190250184.html)

MAYFIELD, Kentucky (AP) — On Jacob Gingerich's farm in western Kentucky, there is no phone or electricity for his family of 12 children. He even sees putting an orange safety triangle on their black horse-drawn buggy as a violation of the simple and pious life his Amish faith requires.

He and other Amish men in rural Graves County have become scofflaws for not using the reflective signs, ignoring state law, disobeying orders from a judge and even going to jail for not paying fines.

To Gingerich and others in the conservative Amish community known as Swartzentruber, using the bright reflective symbol amounts to blasphemy. They consider it garish and believe they should rely on God, not symbols, for protection on the highway.

"We try to lead a simple, plain life," Gingerich said from his workshop as blue and navy shirts and pants fluttered on a clothesline outside. "Putting that orange triangle on the back of our buggy would not leave our buggies plain anymore."

oyarde
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I support the Amish more than I support the anal slow moving vehicle sign requirements and specifications.

Philhelm
01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
The Amish have more guts than the rest of us it seems. We should have a "Buy Amish" campaign.

Danke
01-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Probably more to this story. Maybe not recognizing the jurisdiction of the traffic laws and/or freedom of travel right issues? I wonder if they are worried this could eventually lead to licensure issues down the road if they give an inch now.

oyarde
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Probably more to this story. Maybe not recognizing the jurisdiction of the traffic laws and/or freedom of travel right issues? I wonder if they are worried this could eventually lead to licensure issues down the road if they give an inch now. They should , right now , they are the only group in America regularily targeted for several hundred dollar traffic fines and jail who do not drive autos.

Schifference
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't the Amish make electric appliances for profit? I think I remember seeing a space heater with the slogan made by the Amish. Would that be hypocritical?

oyarde
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Don't the Amish make electric appliances for profit? I think I remember seeing a space heater with the slogan made by the Amish. Would that be hypocritical? I have one , no , they do not make the heater , it is made in China , the Amish make the wood cabinet . I paid $347 for mine including delivery, been using it for around four or five winters . I have it on low now , I let the fire in the woodstove burn out this mornig and will not build it back up until this evening.The electric fire place will keep the furnace from kicking on .

Dr.3D
01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't the Amish make electric appliances for profit? I think I remember seeing a space heater with the slogan made by the Amish. Would that be hypocritical?

They only make the wooden enclosure. The advertisement even says you are only paying for the enclosure and the heater is free.

oyarde
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
The newest barn on my family farm was put up by two Amish guys , I paid them pretty well , but they had the lowest estimate for what was wanted.

oyarde
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
They only make the wooden enclosure. The advertisement even says you are only paying for the enclosure and the heater is free. Mine is Oak , the choice was oak or cherry if I recall , I took the oak because it was slightly cheaper.

Napolitanic Wars
01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
The Amish are some of the happiest people in America, and it looks like they wanna keep it that way.

oyarde
01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
How many accidents have slow moving vehicle signs prevented ?? Think about that.

oyarde
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
That judge down there needs to go .

Echoes
01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
If everybody was as anti-govt as the amish, we wouldnt be in this heap of shit.

KingRobbStark
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
The Amish are the only people with honor. The Paul campaign should approach them.

sirgonzo420
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I love the Amish.

Pericles
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
The Amish have more guts than the rest of us it seems. We should have a "Buy Amish" campaign.

Do business with people who have the same values that you do and a strongler community will be built.

Tod
01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
How many accidents have slow moving vehicle signs prevented ?? Think about that.

Probably quite a few!

There are tons of Amish in my area; buggies go past my house every day.

Around here you don't often see slow-moving vehicle signs, but some do have reflective silver strips and all hang a lantern out after dark. Slow moving vehicle signs are more effective, imo, than lights or reflective strips.

If you are aware of the existence of an Amish population in the area, however, there is absolutely NO excuse for hitting a buggy (none even if you aren't aware they are around). It boils down to the "English" population not wanting to be bothered with actually watching where they are going.

In neighboring Holmes County, many Amish have electric lights on their buggies. Traffic can be very bad on some roads down there because of the tourism.

eduardo89
01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Do Amish pay taxes? I know they're exempt from SS and Medicare, but what about income and sales taxes?

Tod
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
The Amish are the only people with honor. The Paul campaign should approach them.

My guess is he already has their vote wrapped up......for the ones that vote.

mosquitobite
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
My guess is he already has their vote wrapped up......for the ones that vote.

How would they even know about him? Assuming they *may* read newspapers, I'd say they probably aren't getting an accurate opinion of him.

Tod
01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Do Amish pay taxes? I know they're exempt from SS and Medicare, but what about income and sales taxes?

I'm sure they do. Since much of their income is in cash or barter, I wonder how accurate their returns are? :rolleyes:

Tod
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
How would they even know about him? Assuming they *may* read newspapers, I'd say they probably aren't getting an accurate opinion of him.

They are a lot more aware than one would think, given their lifestyle. I should try to flag down the guy who works for my neighbor (dairy farmer) and get his opinion.

AGRP
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Support the Amish. Buy Amish.

mosquitobite
01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
They are a lot more aware than one would think, given their lifestyle. I should try to flag down the guy who works for my neighbor (dairy farmer) and get his opinion.

Please do! And share your findings! Plus I would think they communicate within their communities. So if they don't know about RP but you inform them - it might spread ;)

AGRP
01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Please do! And share your findings! Plus I would think they communicate within their communities. So if they don't know about RP but you inform them - it might spread ;)

I don't think its nearly as important for them to support Ron Paul as it is for people who believe in liberty to support them.

OrigSEOH
01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
From what I understand, is that they turn all earnings over to the "church" then the church gives them money to buy stuff in town, pay property taxes, and buy property. I heard some complaining on the local paper, in that the people around here want them to buy buggy insurance to drive on the roads along with lights and mirrors. Personally, I think it's wrong that they get to have their own tax free/opt out system of things because it is a religious church and I don't.

donnay
01-12-2012, 03:29 PM

The handcraft the cabinet that goes around the electric space heater that is not made by them.

Mennonites are the ones that use cars and have electricity.

onlyrp
01-12-2012, 03:30 PM

yes, let me know when they make computers, cellphones and sushi.

mosquitobite
01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
From what I understand, is that they turn all earnings over to the "church" then the church gives them money to buy stuff in town, pay property taxes, and buy property. I heard some complaining on the local paper, in that the people around here want them to buy buggy insurance to drive on the roads along with lights and mirrors. Personally, I think it's wrong that they get to have their own tax free/opt out system of things because it is a religious church and I don't.

You could always become Amish if it bothers you that much ;)

donnay
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM

That is a good idea. Where I live there are lots of Mennonites who vote!

Do Amish vote?
Amish electoral participation is limited, though some Amish do vote

amish voteOnly a small number of Amish cast ballots in presidential elections, perhaps 10-15%. Amish may be more likely to get involved when voting involves issues which directly affect them, such as zoning. Amish generally do not vote for a few reasons.
Why don’t most Amish participate in political elections?

For one, Amish follow a “Two Kingdoms” theology, which holds that there exist both a material and a spiritual kingdom. While respecting worldly governments, Amish feel that Christians should adhere to the laws of the spiritual kingdom above all.

Though Amish are highly law-abiding, they view the material kingdom as worldly and traditionally limit interaction within it. Amish believe in non-resistance, and may be hesitant to take part in electing a politician who may use force as an agent of the state. Amish do not hold political office themselves, for similar reasons.

Additionally, voting in national elections for candidates who enact a wide array of laws in distant Washington may be seen as an abstract endeavor. This is one reason that local elections concerning tangible issues may receive a greater response from Amish.

How many Amish cast ballots?

Voting is typically not prohibited outright, and the decision to vote is left to the individual in most congregations. Donald Kraybill notes that in the Lancaster community, “Those who vote tend to be younger businessmen with an interest in community affairs” (The Riddle of Amish Culture, Kraybill p 275). The approach to voting varies between communities.

Participation is more likely when voting concerns local issues. However, Amish do take some interest in national elections. George Bush attempted to tap into Amish interest in 2004, when he visited both Lancaster County and Holmes County, Ohio during his re-election campaign to ask for Amish and Mennonite support.

Hurst and McConnell report that in 2004, 43% of Holmes County Amish were registered to vote, though only 13% did so, with most selecting Bush (An Amish Paradox, Hurst and McConnell, p 267).

Amish have been termed “armchair Republicans”, and are seen to be more sympathetic to the Republican party due to a perception of it as one more concerned with religion and traditional values. Though voting is not common, some Amish follow political news and many have and share opinions on politics and politicians.

For further information, see:

The Riddle of Amish Culture, Donald B. Kraybill

An Amish Paradox: Diversity and Change in the World’s Largest Amish Community, Charles E. Hurst and David L. McConnell

http://amishamerica.com/do-amish-vote/

TomtheTinker
01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
While i admire the amish in so many ways and respect their freedom to live their life as they see fit. Couldnt riding on a road with a horse and bugy during the night with nothing reflective put other people in danger. They should have some kind of lamp or something if they want to keep it simple. Compromising with the goverment is nearly impossible though.

eduardo89
01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
While i admire the amish in so many ways and respect their freedom to live their life as they see fit. Couldnt riding on a road with a horse and bugy during the night with nothing reflective put other people in danger. They should have some kind of lamp or something if they want to keep it simple. Compromising with the goverment is nearly impossible though.

I know a lot put a lamp on their buggy and many also use some special black reflective tape made by 3M. The issue here is the color.

jmdrake
01-12-2012, 03:42 PM

I think the key for the Amish is independence. I went to Amish country here in TN once and noticed that some farms had gas powered pumps.

onlyrp
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM

No you can't.

You can try to live like them, but you can't join them just because you're willing to.

OrigSEOH
01-12-2012, 03:50 PM
No thanks, I'm stuck worshiping my earthly master's pyramids and temples, that is until a better system gets installed. I was thinking this is why I'm a Ron Paul supporter, in that were are going to usher in a new system of things?

specsaregood
01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
//

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
The Amish have more guts than the rest of us it seems. We should have a "Buy Amish" campaign.They're freakin' awesome. I buy stuff from them at my local farmer's market and their food is 100x better than you can find in any store, even organic ones.

osan
01-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Oy. Is this not just a little bit too broad a statement? Amish are human. They are prone to the same failings, though perhaps at lower rates.

Some are very genuinely pious and some less so. They can be cagey to do business with and often use the whole "Amish thing" to get what they want.

I do not take them as quaint as so many appear to. I respect those who in my eyes merit it and do not hold much for those who are less than genuine.

But what the hell do I know?

WilliamC
01-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Couldn't the Amish compromise and use a gas or oil lantern instead?

Can't say that the State would be satisfied, but F@!# the State, I just think at night with a lantern in the back a buggy would be safer on the road, that's all.

WilliamC
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
and all hang a lantern out after dark.

Nevermind...

bbartlog
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
There is a lot of variation within the Amish community. Religious rules are set by the local bishop, so there's different rulings on such matters as whether it's OK to use electric tools at a job, whether it's OK to listen to a radio just for a weather forecast, and so on. *Most* of the Amish have no problem with the reflective triangles on their vehicles. The Schwarzentrubers are a conservative group even within the Amish.
Some who don't know the Amish assume that because they're protestant religious fundamentalists, they must be kind of dour calvinistic sorts. But they're actually pretty easygoing; they split off from the mainstream of protestant thought so long ago that they were never affected by Puritanism. Not uptight at all. There are some that come by every year during deer season and I let them hunt on my back forty acres.