PDA

View Full Version : S.C. Tea Party fave: Paul's anti-war views play well

RDM
01-12-2012, 07:08 AM
A leading Tea Party favorite in South Carolina says Ron Paul's anti-war message could be a factor in the state's Jan. 21 presidential primary.Rep. Mick Mulvaney, one of the dozens of GOP freshmen elected with Tea Party support, talked to USA TODAY's congressional reporter Susan Davis about politics in his home state.

Mulvaney, who is backing Rick Perry, said the primary outlook is "an extremely fluid situation" with a significant swath of voters in the Palmetto State undecided. He was pleased a Perry event at a South Carolina retirement home drew 300 attendees for the Texas governor, who needs a strong showing in the state's primary to keep his campaign afloat.
Mulvaney noted Paul, a Texas congressman, could be a factor. "There's certainly a libertarian, independent streak in South Carolina," Mulvaney told Susan.
"He speaks to a lot of folks down here," he said, noting that Paul's foreign policy views -- which some of his GOP rivals have called "dangerous" -- have traction. "There's a certain war weariness in this state as well."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/01/ron-paul-tea-party-south-carolina-primary-mick-mulvaney/1

01-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Supposedly Mulvaney is a liberty guy. I have been told this by an active Paul supporter in Mulvaney's district.

But why he endorsed Perry, instead of holding off to see how Ron was doing, is beyond me

Maybe he will pull the trigger later, after Perry drops out, but at that point it won't do nearly so much good.

malkusm
01-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Supposedly Mulvaney is a liberty guy. I have been told this by an active Paul supporter in Mulvaney's district.

But why he endorsed Perry, instead of holding off to see how Ron was doing, is beyond me

Maybe he will pull the trigger later, after Perry drops out, but at that point it won't do nearly so much good.

I followed Mulvaney's candidacy in 2010. He's more of a DeMint type than a Paul type. That is to say, he'll say good things about Ron, with the caveat of disagreement on foreign policy.

01-12-2012, 07:28 AM
I followed Mulvaney's candidacy in 2010. He's more of a DeMint type than a Paul type. That is to say, he'll say good things about Ron, with the caveat of disagreement on foreign policy.

What I was told by one of our folks there was that Mulvaney was a closeted Ron Paul guy, and had made it known to some number of Ron Paul supporters in his district that he was.

Could have been a politician angling for active volunteers, or perhaps just someone being honest. I do get it though, if he really is a Paul guy, how he could hide it. The GOP has been tough on us.

Dsylexic
01-12-2012, 07:52 AM
another kent sorensen?

Steve-in-NY
01-12-2012, 10:33 AM
For some reason Im getting some serious deja-vu on this thread. Hope thats a good thing.

thoughtomator
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
it's time for all those alleged Paul guys to fish or cut bait

Philadelphia76
01-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Agreed. Perry said we should go back into Iraq for crying out loud. You're no "closeted Ron Paul sympatheizer" or whatever if the guy you publicly support just said we should go BACK into Iraq. My Lord- he makes Gingrich, Romney and Santorum look "isolationist" by comparison. It's astonishing...

The One
01-13-2012, 10:48 AM

I prefer shit or get off the pot.