PDA

View Full Version : Delegates may give Ron Paul Clout

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 04:58 AM
WASHINGTON -- Four years ago, Ron Paul arrived at the Republican convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, with just 15 delegates and was shunned by party elites who gave him no speaking role. He held a "Rally for the Republic" in Minneapolis for thousands of supporters during the convention.

The libertarian Texas Representative probably will be a more forceful presence at this summer's Tampa, Fla., convention, to the consternation of some Republican leaders.

"I sort of have to chuckle when they describe you and me as being dangerous," Paul said to cheers from supporters after his second place finish in last night's New Hampshire primary. "We are dangerous to the status quo in this country."

Paul received about 23 percent of the vote in New Hampshire on Tuesday night, tripling the almost 8 percent he got in 2008. In the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses, he got more than twice the vote of four years ago, and finished close behind front-runner Mitt Romney and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum.

There are many arcane elements to the Republican delegate allocation rules and there still will be winner-take-all primaries in such states as Florida and New Jersey where Paul probably will be shut out. Nevertheless, if he continues this improved showing, he could garner 200 delegates or more and arrive at the Aug. 27 convention with a stronger negotiating hand.

Read more: http://www.heraldextra.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/elections/delegates-may-give-ron-paul-clout/article_02ccaa26-866b-5093-9ec0-c91ce077f7a8.html#ixzz1jEyw2QWg

01-12-2012, 04:59 AM
We need five states at the convention to be nominated. We also need a significant number greater than 200 of delegates. If this is a three way race to the convention, we can really win. Even if it were just us against Romney, I would say it is certainly possible that we could win.

We cannot lose hope. We are just getting started. The brushfires of liberty have been ignited.

jersdream
01-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Getting a majority of the delegates wins us the nomination, not just clout.

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 05:27 AM
We need five states at the convention to be nominated. We also need a significant number greater than 200 of delegates. If this is a three way race to the convention, we can really win. Even if it were just us against Romney, I would say it is certainly possible that we could win.

We cannot lose hope. We are just getting started. The brushfires of liberty have been ignited.

Bump

Dsylexic
01-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Bump

what do you mean 5 states for the nomination? is that a rule? and just 200 + delegates? .
i believe lincoln won his nomination after carrying just one state.he got more delegates though

jersdream
01-12-2012, 05:38 AM
I thought you were a moderator.

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 05:46 AM
I thought you were a moderator.

No--I was demoted to member since some of my posts were not part of the the Group Think that prevails here.

jersdream
01-12-2012, 05:53 AM
No--I was demoted to member since some of my posts were not part of the the Group Think that prevails here.
+rep

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 05:57 AM
what do you mean 5 states for the nomination? is that a rule? and just 200 + delegates? .
i believe lincoln won his nomination after carrying just one state.he got more delegates though

2008 Rules are here:

http://www.gop.com/images/legal/2008_RULES_Adopted.pdf

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 06:00 AM
+rep

Thanks for the Rep.

Seriously, it is some what disconcerting that a site that claims to be "For Liberty:" cannot tolerate differing opinions. A new member who wrote about Islam recently was perplexed by this. The members here immediately labeled and attacked this new member since it appeared that s/he had concerns about this issue. I don't care what one thinks about this issue, but there is a civil, mature way to discuss it. Here is the post:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?348319-How-to-deal-with-expansionist-totalitarian-islam&highlight=islam

CaptainAmerica
01-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Arizona is winner take all as well.

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
While the candidates’ performances in New Hampshire and the first Southern states will be key in maintaining momentum and raising money, the states offer relatively few delegates, and a stretched-out primary calendar could mean months of battle for the nomination.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/01/11/us/election-news/candidates-going-the-distance.html

bobbyw24
01-12-2012, 07:20 AM
More Clout than a DeMint endorsement?