PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Baptist Churches

mikeforliberty
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.scbaptist.org/link/article305323.htm?body=1

There is a directory with the addresses. I'm going to send a letter making the Christian case for Ron Paul mostly on Christian finance, freedom, and pacifism.

Sola_Fide
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
The Southern Baptist Convention is split between Calvinism and Arminianism, liberty and statism.

There are a lot of conservative Calvinist-leaning Baptist churches who would surely tilt toward Ron Paul, but then there are the Arminian institutions like Bob Jones University which will support any anti-Muslim statist neocon candidate that is popular.

SchleckBros
01-11-2012, 04:51 PM

There is a directory with the addresses. I'm going to send a letter making the Christian case for Ron Paul mostly on Christian finance, freedom, and pacifism.

pacifism!?!? Ron Paul is not a pacifist.

tbone717
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Don't use the term pacifism, because that does not describe Paul's positions at all. Instead mention Augustine and his Just War Theory from City of God

virginiakid
01-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Christians are not pacifist. I know I'm not. Neither is Paul. The quickest way to lose evangelical votes for Paul is to claim that he is a pacifist, which we all know he isn't. Sometimes you have to go to war because you are being attacked. It would be better to state that Paul, like many Christians are not aggressors toward other nations. Jesus also wasn't a pacifist, nor does the Bible support pacifism. Paul believes that if you are being attacked, you have the right to defend yourself against that attack and the same is true if a nation is attacking your nation. If we as the USA have to defend ourselves against an aggressor, then we will and we will destroy them for the aggressors they are. That is Paul's foreign policy and it should be the Christian foreign policy as well.

tbone717
01-11-2012, 05:01 PM
The Southern Baptist Convention is split between Calvinism and Arminianism, liberty and statism.

There are a lot of conservative Calvinist-leaning Baptist churches who would surely tilt toward Ron Paul, but then there are the Arminian institutions like Bob Jones University which will support any anti-Muslim statist neocon candidate that is popular.

Not to get off track, but today's "Arminian" leaning churches are really teaching Semi-Pelagianism which is an even worse heresy, but I digress.

Sola_Fide
01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Not to get off track, but today's "Arminian" leaning churches are really teaching Semi-Pelagianism which is an even worse heresy, but I digress.

Yes. Correct.

Maximus
01-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Do not use the term pacifist, as others have said, Ron Paul will fight a war if it is declared by the Congress. There is nothing pacifist about that.

JJ2
01-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Don't use the term pacifism, because that does not describe Paul's positions at all. Instead mention Augustine and his Just War Theory from City of God

Yes, this is important.

Most Baptists would automatically reject any candidate who is pacifist (which Paul is not).

Paul adheres to the historic, orthodox Christian theory of "Just War," which should appeal to most Christians.

Captain Shays
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Before you contact anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get in touch with us at the Christians For Ron Paul thread or through PM. We're trying to get something together FAST and we can use all the help we can muster. But we really want to work together to come up with something great to distribute.

hueylong
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Probably the first thing to say in such a letter is that Dr. Paul and his wife regularly attend a Baptist church near their home in Lake Jackson, Texas.

Duckman
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
This is a very good idea, I think.

I would also remind people that many early Christian American pioneers came here to escape religious WARS in Europe. Do we really want to turn the actions of a few rogue groups into another war against a religion?

Kevin Smyth
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes, this is important.

Most Baptists would automatically reject any candidate who is pacifist (which Paul is not).

Paul adheres to the historic, orthodox Christian theory of "Just War," which should appeal to most Christians.

In the view of many Christians a war against Iran would be a Just War because Iranians are Muslims and Muslims did 9-11.

mikeforliberty
01-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Guys I'm writing letters to pastors, not congregations. And I know Ron Paul is not a pacifist. Jesus however preached a very pacifistic message, the letter is for pastors to understand why Ron Paul and military restraint are important from the perspective of "What Would Jesus Do". I'm not trying to convince them of the ideological and political message of Ron Paul I'm trying to convince them that Jesus's message is most reflected in his positions.

PeteinLA
01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Probably the first thing to say in such a letter is that Dr. Paul and his wife regularly attend a Baptist church near their home in Lake Jackson, Texas.

I think this might be a good thing to bring up. I know Ron hardly ever talks about what denomination he is but it might not hurt to do it in SC.

Cody1
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Why is South Carolina considered an evangelical state? I mean, ive lived here my whole life I really don't see it. As much as it has been promoted you would think SC is Iowa part II. I just don't see it, living in Columbia the majority I come across are run of the mill Americans...that and the largely poverty stricken areas. Is there really that large of a Christian bend here??! lol 'cause I surely don't see it.

So far the narrative for my state, from my perspective has been that of a Iowa-Mississippi hybrid. Maybe I am just not seeing the strategy for grabbing certain voter blocks.

Edit: I know there are large amounts of Baptist people here, but do they really instruct their congregations who to vote for? Personally i'm a Seventh Day Adventist and over the years of going to church politics never came up.

Highstreet
01-13-2012, 11:54 AM

NOT Pacifism
Just War... Or constitutional war...only in defense or if congress says he must.

Highstreet
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
In the view of many Christians a war against Iran would be a Just War because Iranians are Muslims and Muslims did 9-11.

This is not true. Most do not believe that.
Just War is defensive war against an aggressor. Paul voted to go after OBL.

Hoax
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Guys I'm writing letters to pastors, not congregations. And I know Ron Paul is not a pacifist. Jesus however preached a very pacifistic message, the letter is for pastors to understand why Ron Paul and military restraint are important from the perspective of "What Would Jesus Do". I'm not trying to convince them of the ideological and political message of Ron Paul I'm trying to convince them that Jesus's message is most reflected in his positions.

Do not use the word pacifist, or pacifism. It is an incorrect characterization, and it will lose votes in SC.

heavenlyboy34
01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Do not use the word pacifist, or pacifism. It is an incorrect characterization, and it will lose votes in SC.
This^^

Captain Shays
01-13-2012, 04:58 PM

Mike, Jesus told his disciples to take up their swords Bro. Jesus wasn't a pacifist at all. The early Christians were having a hard time trying to decide if they could go to war to protect Rome when it was being invaded. Augustin sent out a commission to search the scriptures to see if or when one person could kill another and not be in violation of the commandment that is correctly interpreted "thou shall not murder" (not kill).
They found four instances.

1. Capital punishment
2. By accident
3. Self defense (EVERY ONE of God's creatures has a legitimate right of self defense and so do countries)
4. In defense of your loved ones. In fact we are called "worse than infidels" if we don't provide for our families and that includes protecting them

The early church came to the conclusion that if there was in invading army on the border of your country they would kill you and your family if they got through so in that case it was justified to take up arms to defend your country because you would really be defending your family.
But the response must always be in proportion to the threat. In other words you're not justified in after fending off the invasion to go into that other country and start killing them and their families. You're not justified in taking pleasure in the killing or trying to increase or prolong their suffering. If they are wounded, you should tend to their wounds. If they are thirsty, give them water. If hungry-feed them. If out in the elements give them cover.

These are the Christian Just War Principles (or at least part of them) and Ron Paul has referenced them many times in his speeches.

Learn them well and include them in your letters. They will certainly ring true with true believers.

PierzStyx
01-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Calvinism holds that you have no free will. God uses His sovereign power to save you by His grace, no matter what you want or what your actions are. In this belief you could be the vilest sinner desiring to go to Hell but have Heaven thrust upon you by God and yet someone like Mother Teresa who dedicates their lives to Christ and His service don't receive God's grace and thus get thrust into Hell. What you want, how you act, what you believe is irrelevant. God uses force upon you to get what He wants and everyone else gets forced into Hell. This is NOT a doctrine of liberty.

Arminianism teaches that while man is a depraved being he still has freedom to act, to choose. Because Jesus' Atonement is open to all people, all people are drawn to God who gives His grace freely to all those who would receive it. Those who do not want to be saved are not. God does not force them to do His will or to enter His kingdom. That IS a doctrine of liberty.

J-Reg
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM

There is a directory with the addresses. I'm going to send a letter making the Christian case for Ron Paul mostly on Christian finance, freedom, and pacifism. FOR GOODNESS SAKE, DON'T MENTION "PACIFISM". Ron is NOT a pacifist. Painting him like that would HURT TREMENDOUSLY.

eduardo89
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I wish the campaign would send a small information packet to every Church. They should include Ron's statement of faith, a copy of his book on abortion, a DVD with his VVS speech and a brochure of his restore America plan.