PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Talk Radio asking me to call re: Romney/Paul Ticket

sratiug
01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
The JT show on Supertalk MS, broadcast all over Mississippi, is asking me to call in (I'm their most vocal Ron Paul caller) to say whether I'd support a Romney/Paul ticket! Thoughts?

[edit] Show's over folks. Refer to post #64 (it's on page 7 for my default settings) for a summary of my exchange. And thanks for all the input.

raider4paul
01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I'd support it, but Dr. Paul would never be his VP.

bobmurph
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Romney would have to change his stance on some issues...that shouldn't be a problem.

Sean
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
They are now trying to relegate RP as a VP so that he would wind down his campaign. Romney would never pick RP as his VP. Also VP gets us nowhere.

Highstreet
Not a chance......YET.

After a few more primaries......we'll talk again.

sailingaway
I'd say presumably he had the places mixed up. If you aren't able to laugh it off I'd say, maybe, only because I'd trust Dr. Paul had gotten hard policy concessions that would really help the country or something, but that I think Romney should be trying for position as Ron's VP since Ron is the one with the record we need. Clearly Romney still needs the guidance of a more experienced conservative....I wouldn't say yes. I might get to 'maybe, I'd have to see what substance Ron was able to negotiate....'

LibertyEsq
01-11-2012, 12:10 PM
If Romney wins he would have to make a lot of concessions to Paul to win support, including VP if he wants it. So I'd support that ticket.

Paul still has a great chance to win the nomination outright, though

JWRIDDLER
Makes me wonder if Romney gets tired of Paul and he (Romney) offers Paul the VP spot to withdraw from the race...

harikaried
Talk about Ron Paul's electability. Ron Paul has a better chance to beat Obama than Romney. (CBS poll from this week shows Ron Paul as the only candidate who beats Obama among Independents. You need Independent votes to win the general election.) If anything, they should be asking about a Paul/Romney ticket.

mosquitobite
Well I know I'm not the majority here, but I would actually support it.

Biden has been worthless as VP, but think about how much control Dick Cheney had on policy!

Given that Romney deferred to Paul as the Constitutional expert and how Romney has been kind to Dr Paul, I take it as a good sign that Paul may actually hold sway in a Romney administration. Plus, he'd have a strong platform to keep proclaiming the liberty message AND he'd reside over the Senate.

So, yeah. I'd be for it, but don't hang me! :D

noxnoctum
Romney as Ron's VP is unacceptable. And vice versa.

Canderson
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Id talk about how paul supporters advocate the message and not the man, and how there would have to be significant policy changes to gain support among Paul's people, even if Paul was VP.

purepaloma
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Mention how it's too early, and how Bill Clinton placed VERY similar results to RP early in his first run.

jkob
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Only if Romney changes his views on basically everything. That's actually not out of the realm of possibility hahaha.

Kevin Smyth
I would support it, if we can't catch up to Romney in the primaries I think having Paul as VP would do wonders for the future of our movement. I think people don't realize that if a non neocon can be selected as the VP it means that the neocons no longer have a monopoly on the GOP. It also means that elections for the next 30 years will see Paul-like figures emerge and gain support nationwide.

mosquitobite
Romney as Ron's VP is unacceptable. And vice versa.

Actually I prefer Ron as VP to a Paul/Romney ticket.

As VP Ron has a higher possibility of surviving ;)

ryanmkeisling
The JT show on Supertalk MS, broadcast all over Mississippi, is asking me to call in (I'm their most vocal Ron Paul caller) to say whether I'd support a Romney/Paul ticket! Thoughts?

My thoughts are, after that speech last night and our strong showing in the first to states, Ron Paul should be considering who his VP is going to be, rather than entertaining being Romneys VP. It seems they will go after any scenario where Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination. The desperation is palpable. Turn it around on them, tell them you would consider a Paul/Romney ticket because that is the direction we are now heading. Romney/Paul....please. RP #winning!

mosquitobite
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
I would support it, if we can't catch up to Romney in the primaries I think having Paul as VP would do wonders for the future of our movement. I think people don't realize that if a non neocon can be selected as the VP it means that the neocons no longer have a monopoly on the GOP. It also means that elections for the next 30 years will see Paul-like figures emerge and gain support nationwide.

Agree! +1 well said!

Cdawg45
I would never support this. VP has no real power to make changes when you have a President that doesn't see eye to eye on almost any issue.

erowe1

Call in and tell them you would support it.

If Romney gets the nomination, and he probably will, we want him to be in a position where he has to make concessions to us. So we need to dangle the carrot out there that if he does enough, he can win our support.

If Romney thinks we'll never support him no matter what he does, then he'll have no motivation to do anything for us.

Firehouse26
01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
This:
Id talk about how paul supporters advocate the message and not the man, and how there would have to be significant policy changes to gain support among Paul's people, even if Paul was VP.

Echoes
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Are you foreal ?

NOOOOOOOOO. We didnt invest decades in to this movement to settle for compromise. Romney is hardcore lefty liberal.

Besides, there's zero chance Ron would accept, he'd loose all credibility.

Kandilynn
01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
I'd say no. To me, Ron Paul stands for liberty, small government, and the conservative values of the past. Romney changes his stance based on what he thinks the voters want to hear. If Ron Paul were to stand behind Romney and tell me to vote for him, to me, it would make me, as a Paul supporter, feel that he is no longer the uncorruptible paragon of liberty and truth that I believe him to be.

bobmurph
I'm not a fan of Romney.
I don't think he would choose RP as a VP.

But, I would vote for this ticket in a heartbeat. It would be good for the cause of liberty and would change the platform of the GOP.

KEEF
I would respond "So what you are saying is that Mr. Electable Ken doll is not electable unless he puts the MSM's branded 'unelectable, Ru Paul has a better chance than Ron Paul' Ron Paul on his ticket as VP?

Call them out on it being a blatant attempt at the status quo trying to pander to us RP supporters since they know that any other candidate is going to have no chance in hell beating Obama without us. Whereas if RP gets the nomination, the RINOs would fall right in step with voting for RP so to try to save face and make sure the 'evil, vial' democrats get out of office.

acptulsa
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Biden has been worthless as VP, but think about how much control Dick Cheney had on policy!

You sure about all of that? Libya smells much more of Biden's style than Obama's. Old Joe always has been one of the biggest warmongers on his side of the aisle.

Sure, Obama can speak English, and that is one difference. But Obama, to me and more over time, has the smell of a lightweight figurehead to me. Which would make Biden part of the 'team of handlers' surrounding him.

Don't assume too much about Biden. And yes, let's do keep him out of the White House by any means necessary.

As for a Romney/Paul ticket, well, all I can say is remember the pushme-pullyou?

The Gold Standard
No thanks.

Travlyr
VP is not Commander in Chief. Mitt Romney has never said that he will audit the Fed. Romney/Paul makes no sense. If Romney gets the GOP nomination, then I would rather see Dr. Ron Paul get a radio show or retire and enjoy his family.

Ronulus
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Ask him why he believes RP would pick Romney as his VP.

jmdrake
Makes me wonder if Romney gets tired of Paul and he (Romney) offers Paul the VP spot to withdraw from the race...

Naw. If Paul dropped out then all of the Santorum/Gingrich fire would be aimed only at Romney instead of being split between Romney and Paul. Plus Romney can't offer something he doesn't have yet. (He doesn't have a VP slot until he gets the nomination). I could see Romney offering Paul the VP slot if he secured the nomination though. It's clear they can't win without us. The media has also been making a big deal of Ron Paul "defending" Romney (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/abc-exclusive-ron-paul-defends-romney-lashes-out-at-his-critics/).

If Ron Paul took the VP slot and they won that would mean Rand wouldn't be able to run until 2020. (Assuming they won re-election in 2016). Not sure what I think of this idea.....cross that bridge when we get to it. Let's concentrate on making Romney and others ask Ron for the VP slot. ;)

evadmurd
VP is historically a useless position. They have no real power to do anything. Cheney was probably one of the strongest and most involved VPs, and we all know how great that worked out.

sailingaway
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM

that won't happen.

brushfire
http://homefixated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/poop-on-grass.jpg

jmdrake
Talk about Ron Paul's electability. Ron Paul has a better chance to beat Obama than Romney. (CBS poll from this week shows Ron Paul as the only candidate who beats Obama among Independents. You need Independent votes to win the general election.) If anything, they should be asking about a Paul/Romney ticket.

+rep!

ropo
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't think Paul would agree to being Romney's VP

But if it did happen I would support it. If Paul thought it was a good idea then I would trust him.

erowe1
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Let's concentrate on making Romney and others ask Ron for the VP slot. ;)

But making them do that has to involve making them think there's something to gain from it for them.

PastaRocket848
i'm not opposed, though it would take some concessions on Romney's part. i would much rather see the ticket flipped, though, of course. it seems like the more "electable" ticket is paul/romney, but maybe i'm biased.

angelatc
Are you foreal ?

NOOOOOOOOO. We didnt invest decades in to this movement to settle for compromise. Romney is hardcore lefty liberal.

Besides, there's zero chance Ron would accept, he'd loose all credibility.

The Neocons rode in on Reagan's coattails. I don't see the shame in returning the favor. The problem I see is that Reagan left the country in decent shape, and Bush was elected (only for one term) because so many people didn't pay attention and just thought he was a Reaganite Republican. If Romney were to leave the country in terrible shape and/or possibly nuke Iran, the country might see a Paul (Rand, not Ron) as just more of the same.

sailingaway
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Actually I prefer Ron as VP to a Paul/Romney ticket.

As VP Ron has a higher possibility of surviving ;)

I don't, because I want Ron able to implement his program. But the whole thing goes to the 'team player' v 'enemy' thing, and I think it is an olive branch of is there any reasonable possibility we might get on board. IF Ron loses, which I would fight tooth and nail against happening, we will have to choose the best amongst our remaining options. We sure aren't at that point, now, though. And frankly if something like that happened, I suspect Ron might prefer Rand be VP to springboard the next generation, along with precise policy commitments. But I don't really know if there is enough common ground that Ron could ever get to that point. I just don't foreclose the possibility now because why should I?

airborne373
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Discussions of a Paul/Romney ticket are inevitable, it is part of this process.

kfking
01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
I like the idea of Ron Paul presiding over the Senate. If Rand ever questions liberty then dad will be there to ground him.

In all seriousness I wouldn't support a Romney/Paul ticket

sailingaway
01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't think Paul would agree to being Romney's VP

But if it did happen I would support it. If Paul thought it was a good idea then I would trust him.

this

and allowing the discussion to continue doesn't stop Ron or us from rejecting whatever deal there is, nor does it stop us from trouncing Romney in the election. It just makes us less the odd man out, which could work to Ron's favor, as well.

Koz
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Romney would have to change his stance on some issues...that shouldn't be a problem.

Indeed.

As long as we are talking a Paul as president, Romney as vp ticket I am ok with that.

Bern
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
If Paul is on the ticket, I would presume he's worked out some compromises with goldman sachs on the issues to his satisfaction. That would very likley be good enough for me.

jmdrake
But making them do that has to involve making them think there's something to gain from it for them.

Most people who take a VP slot dream of being pres one day. That's what there would be to "gain".

ZanZibar
As Doug Wead said.... Ron Paul can't tell us what to do, and if Ron Paul isn't President, a good chunk of us will likely be going off to vote for the LP or CP ticket. Essentially Paul will win the nomination and have a good chance of beating Obama, or Romney will win the nomination and Obama will win reelection.

If the Party doesn't want 4 more years of Obama, then they need to buck up and support Ron Paul.

sailingaway
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
VP is historically a useless position. They have no real power to do anything. Cheney was probably one of the strongest and most involved VPs, and we all know how great that worked out.

It worked out great, for Cheney.

Ron won't get that deal. What we have to do is win. If we CAN'T though, we will have to take it from there.

erowe1
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Most people who take a VP slot dream of being pres one day. That's what there would be to "gain".

I mean something to gain for Romney.

If he thinks that he could never win our support even if he offered the VP slot, then he would have no reason to do it.

Travlyr
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
A Paul/Bradley ticket would be much better.

noxnoctum
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Man I'm shocked people here would vote for a Romney/Paul ticket. Seriously? There is absolutely no way I will vote for anyone other than Paul for president. VPs have no power, and Romney will make the decisions, which means nothing will change from now. Plus in my eyes Paul instantly loses all credibility if he accepts VP or appoints someone like Romney as VP.

jmdrake
I mean something to gain for Romney.

If he thinks that he could never win our support even if he offered the VP slot, then he would have no reason to do it.

Mmmmm....I think you misunderstood me earlier. I was saying we should make Romney ask Ron if he (Romney) could be Ron's VP. In other words we need to win the nomination. ;)

vechorik
I thought Ron Paul was RETIRING if he wasn't elected president.

Working Poor
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Personally I would rather he run with Johnson than Romney. We would get more of what we want.

economics102
01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
It would have to be VP + some SERIOUS policy concessions and some kind of assurance that there will be actual follow-through.

But yes, I have to admit, if that became the ticket, I would give it some consideration. But I don't see how a president whose biggest donor is Goldman Sachs could ever be trusted to honor a commitment to policies on the Federal Reserve, etc.

Bottom line, I'm willing to be open-minded but I have a very hard time imagining a scenario in which I would back a ticket that had Romney's name on it, in EITHER slot.

eleganz
01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
GOP INSIDERS: what are we gonna do about Paul? he seems unstoppable...

GOP INSIDERS: let's just offer him a VP spot, or we'll never see the end of this...his movement is spreading too fast and hard for us to handle anymore, the media is no longer effective.

GOP INSIDERS: he won't take it! it is over for us...

freneticentropy
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Absolutely not. Paul is too old to run in 2020, so there is nothing in it for us. Vice-President is a joke. He wouldn't be able to get anything done as VP. It'd be a huge sellout and let down for the liberty movement and probably kill us. If Paul doesn't get the nomination, we need to start pumping liberty candidates for other offices and maybe Johnson for president (unless Paul runs indy).

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Makes me wonder if Romney gets tired of Paul and he (Romney) offers Paul the VP spot to withdraw from the race...Hell no. Would he even be legally bound to keep him as VP? I would think he'd just switch out for someone else before the general election.

Also, ages ago, wasn't the VP the candidate with the second most votes?

Esoteric
01-11-2012, 12:56 PM

LOL you should used this

Todd
I just don't see Paul's principles on foreign intervention being compromised. Even more I don't see Romney making the type concession needed to woo Paul to join him. Romney is not a Noninterventionist and I'm pretty confident he would not take that platform up in order to have Paul

Brian4Liberty

Lol! Good one!

I agree with those who say that the election is not over yet!

On a tangent, Marco Rubio and Kelly Ayote are unacceptable on any ticket.

speciallyblend
01-11-2012, 12:59 PM
romney=status quo gop establishment=HELL NO impossible ron paul couldn't sell out like romney the flip flopper.

nasaal
01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Tell them that the best they can hope for is switching it to a Paul/Romney ticket instead. Romney can flip flop to agree with Paul on everything. hahahahahahahahahah

speciallyblend
01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
LOL you should used this

classic but i would push the Paul/Romney Ticket

sratiug
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks everybody for the input. The show is over now. I called in a few minutes before the end and was on hold and they took a couple other callers talking Tim Tebow that were ahead of me. I got on at the very end and only had a few seconds.

I told them I called in to let them know that yes I was monitoring their show (they were joking about it earlier saying I was no doubt monitoring their show and recording it, lol). They had a laugh and asked me what I thought. I said that I would have to consider it IF Dr. Paul accepted it, but I had my doubts as to whether he would accept it, and that I had my doubts as to whether it would be offerred considering that Goldman Sachs was Romney's largest campaign contributor.

Because they had discussed his foreign policy some earlier (JT actually said he was against the Iraq War at the beginning which shocked me) I then said I wanted to point out that Leon Pannetta had admitted on national television recently that Iran was not developing a nuclear weapon and got something in about how that shows how much the media slews the discussion . They seemed very surprised and said that Russia made a statement today about their concern over Iran developing a nuke. I don't know what they were referring to, but they cut my line (the show was over) so I didn't have any time to respond regardless.

I posted the Pannetta link on the Supertalk facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mississippi-for-Mitt-Romney-2012/265150320185373#!/supertalk

Thanks for all your input. I hope I did the right thing. They have been friendly for awhile after hanging up on me the first few times I called. They really want everyone to support the nominee and have said many many times they will fully support Dr. Paul if he wins the nomination. They read most of the campaign's statement on air about the other candidates pulling out to support Paul against Romney.

[edit]Supertalk Mississippi is broadcast on a network of 9 stations that very nearly covers the entire state of Mississippi. The owner also owns a talk network in South Carolina.

Agorism
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd tell them I would want Ron at the top of the ticket, and Romney OFF THE TICKET.

Publicani
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Romney with or without Ron Paul is not going to became POTUS. Regardless of whatever deal Ron makes I am not voting for anybody else and a lot of Ron Paul supporters will not vote for anybody else either.

JuicyG
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Romney is the candidate the banksters are pushing for. He`s basically opposed to the most important and hardcore change Ron Paul wants to make, which is having a full audit of the FED and opening it up to competition(ending current FED in its actual form).

They also don`t agree at all on foreign policy. Romney won`t let him go there.

Ron Paul might get his way on state rights. Romney won`t abject to states legalizing marijuana and such. He might end the war on drugs.
I also see more individual liberties with Ron Paul president.

So basically with Ron Paul as VP following will be

possible:

ending war on drugs, decriminalizing drug trafficking
individual rights, state rights, less gov interference, repeal of abusive laws(patriot act and others)
less government by cutting departments

not possible:

Withdrawing troops, ending illegal wars, significant cuts in military spending.

Fiscal policy changes in regards to the Keynesian FED and money printing.

KingNothing
01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Why would Paul want Romney to be his VP? The title of the thread confuses me.

;)

agorist ninja
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Wouldn't even consider voting for it.

Romney is the antithesis of Ron Paul. He's everything we stand against. The VP has no power to do anything of substance.

Ron Paul or none at all.

Bern
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Props to you for trying to influence the debate.

... They seemed very surprised and said that Russia made a statement today about their concern over Iran developing a nuke. I don't know what they were referring to, ...

The concern is over an uranium enrichment plant. Iran claims it's for power generation. They notified the International Atomic Energy Agency about the facility:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle-east/russia-voices-regret-concern-about-launch-of-irans-underground-uranium-enrichment-facility/2012/01/10/gIQAOERJoP_story.html

The way that story is written, it appears that Russia's concern is more about US/international reaction to the launch of the facility more than any concern that Iran is developing a weapon. I haven't seen the actual statement they released.

KingNothing
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Dear Jesus, could you imagine what Paul would say if Romney sold out the Liberty platform? Ron wouldn't hesitate to speak frankly against the party and his president.

There's no way that Paul would ever be offered the VP spot.

sratiug
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Dear Jesus, could you imagine what Paul would say if Romney sold out the Liberty platform? Ron wouldn't hesitate to speak frankly against the party and his president.

There's no way that Paul would ever be offered the VP spot.

Yeah, I know, lol. But these guys are not quite fully awake yet, though they are rousing a little from their slumber. They are adamently anti-TSA, for instance.

ShowMeLiberty
01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
At this point I can only say I'm willing to consider it - though I seriously doubt it would ever happen. If it did actually happen, my current thinking is that Romney is a Pinocchio but with Ron in the role of Jimminy Cricket, he might be persuaded to do the right things.

Jack Bauer
01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Why should we NEGOTIATE for what is already OURS?

Tell him we are willing to give Mitt Romney the VP ticket.

Captain Shays
01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I'd say presumably he had the places mixed up. If you aren't able to laugh it off I'd say, maybe, only because I'd trust Dr. Paul had gotten hard policy concessions that would really help the country or something, but that I think Romney should be trying for position as Ron's VP since Ron is the one with the record we need. Clearly Romney still needs the guidance of a more experienced conservative....I wouldn't say yes. I might get to 'maybe, I'd have to see what substance Ron was able to negotiate....'
That would be a death sentence for Ron Paul. He wouldn't last his first year before they offed him to get Romney in there

archangel689
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
This shouldn't even be open to discussion. Neither a mitt/Ron ticket or a Ron/mitt ticket. Both create assassination situations.

The Gold Standard
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Tell him we are willing to give Mitt Romney the VP ticket.

Why? We aren't. I want President Paul to live through his term.