PDA

View Full Version : The Bill Clinton Path to Nomination

JJ2
01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
People have alluded to this on other threads:

In 1992 in the Democratic primaries, a little-known man by the name of Bill Clinton finished in 3rd place in Iowa (not counting "Uncommitted"), then finished a strong 2nd in New Hampshire and went on to win the nomination and the Presidency. This is the same scenario Ron Paul is in. (The only difference is that there was no "front runner" in 1992, as different candidates had won IA and NH.)

Not only that, but the man who won New Hampshire was Paul Tsongas, who was endorsed by none other than Mitt Romney, the winner of this year's Republican New Hampshire primary.

The campaign needs to be out there talking about this.

Karsten
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Clinton's nickname in that primary season was the "comeback kid."
A win in South Carolina would wipe away anything that has happened in IA and NH and we need to focus completely on that in the next week and a half.

Miss Annie
01-11-2012, 12:34 AM
People have alluded to this on other threads:

In 1992 in the Democratic primaries, a little-known man by the name of Bill Clinton finished in 3rd place in Iowa (not counting "Uncommitted"), then finished a strong 2nd in New Hampshire and went on to win the nomination and the Presidency. This is the same scenario Ron Paul is in. (The only difference is that there was no "front runner" in 1992, as different candidates had won IA and NH.)

Not only that, but the man who won New Hampshire was Paul Tsongas, the most liberal person running for President, who was endorsed by none other than Mitt Romney, the winner of this year's Republican New Hampshire primary.

The campaign needs to be out there talking about this.

Holy Crap Batman! I had no idea! That is not small potatoes!

Karsten
01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Got a source on the Mitt Romney endorsement?

AlexAmore
01-11-2012, 12:38 AM
I don't know much about Tsongas but from some quick reading up on him he doesn't seem like the worst Democrat ever, very pro-business. I don't see super liberal anywhere. I'm not trying derail our effort to slam Mittens but this may not be the best use of our energy and direction. If I'm wrong please correct me. I didn't delve deep into his record, just wiki and some articles. It's 1:38AM here.

Funny quote from him :
"If anyone thinks the words government and efficiency belong in the same sentence, we have counseling available."

JJ2
01-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't know much about Tsongas but from some quick reading up on him he doesn't seem like the worst Democrat ever, very pro-business. I don't see super liberal anywhere. I'm not trying derail our effort to slam Mittens but this may not be the best use our energy and direction. If I'm wrong please correct me. I didn't delve deep into his record, just wiki and some articles. It's 1:38AM here.

Funny quote from him :
"If anyone thinks the words government and efficiency belong in the same sentence, we have counseling available."

Yeah, I deleted the part about "most liberal" after looking Tsongas up.

I think I've learned now to never trust Newt. lol.

(It was either Newt or a clip of McCain in '08 where I heard him called the "most liberal" candidate in 1992.)

JJ2
01-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Got a source on the Mitt Romney endorsement?

"The Boston Herald noted that his political philosophy had "far more in common" with Republican Mitt Romney (who crossed over to vote for Tsongas in the 1992 primaries) than with traditional Massachusetts Democrats like Ted Kennedy." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tsongas#Political_positions)

Their source is: http://www.salon.com/2011/03/07/mitt_romney_political_lives/

EDIT: I guess it wasn't an official "endorsement" but he did vote for him.