PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul VP for Romney

Legend1104
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
If (big if) Ron Paul were not to win but went to convention with a good size of delegates and voters that refused to vote for someone else without concession, what if the offered the vp to Rand Paul. VP's have a long history of becoming the next president throughout history. If we could get nothing else from them, imagine if they picked him to unit the party. That would set us up to have him run in the next election and it would be very hard to beat him. Just a thought. P.S. please don't post the "Ron will win," or "It's too early," I just wanted some discussion about what could be some concessions we could look at with our bargaining chips. We have to look to the future and if we had to move past a Ron Paul loss, what would the most long lasting and powerful move to make. Thoughts?

tasteless
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Even if that were to happen, I still wouldn't vote for that ticket.

moderate libertarian
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Stop it lol

GeorgiaAvenger
01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Even if that were to happen, I still wouldn't vote for that ticket.

Would that be in your interest to not vote for the GOP nominee?

The way I see it, the lesser of two evils makes things easier on me.

WIRP
01-10-2012, 10:40 PM
There's not enough specifics in your hypothetical, but it would be an extremely strange merger. I don't see it happening.

It's more likely that Ron or Rand gets an opportunity to speak at the convention to talk about conservative values, while neither endorsing, nor condemning Romney as the agreement.

Schiff_FTW
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
The VP has almost no Constitutional responsibilities; he can get a lot more done as a U.S. senator and still position himself well for a run in 2016.

Plus, their policy views diverge too much. I would hope that Rand wouldn't want to be seen as partly responsible for everything that might happen under a Romney administration (rightly or wrongly).

Schiff_FTW
01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
It's more likely that Ron or Rand gets an opportunity to speak at the convention to talk about conservative values, while neither endorsing, nor condemning Romney as the agreement.

That is weak, I would hope and expect the campaign is gunning for a lot more than a "speech at the convention".

ctiger2
01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Rand agreeing to be Romney's worthless VP would shatter the liberty movement.

AuH20
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Ask Sarah Palin about the perils of jumping on a questionable ticket. It basically destroyed her political future.

bkreigh
01-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I wouldnt vote for this ticket and i wouldnt vote for Rand in 16 if he decided to run if he went on the ticket if this happened.

Legend1104
01-10-2012, 10:53 PM
We need to realize that they are already talking about this issue. They mentioned it both on CNN and Fox. "If" we were to lose, we would wield a lot of power and need to use it for something very lasting. Remember we are playing a long game, we need to continue to build the movement. I don't like the idea of just saying, "We are going to just defeat Romney." I believe our best chance is to eventually convert the whole party and purposefully sabotaging the party is not the answer. That would turn off a lot of people and would kill all of our work. It has to be more than just the good Dr.. We have to be smart.

When the country finally collapses, America will go either totally to totalitarianism or back to freedom. We have to get Americans to the point where, when the collapse finally happens, they say, "Ron Paul was really right. " We have to be there and be powerful enough to catch America win it finally falls.

Magsec
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
It'd be worth it just for the VP debate.

dvalukis
01-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Honestly, I think if Romney were to win the nomination we'd get a Chenney-type of nomination. Ya know, some guy who isn't all about politics per say, but kinda pulls the strings. There's a lot of money floating around Romney and his campaign, so somebody needs to be "thanked". If ya know what I mean. But yes, A Rand Paul would all but lock up the Presidency for Mitt Romney. There's no way they'd lose. They'd get what McCain got in 08', plus Dem's unhappy with Obama, and a huge majority of the Ind. vote. Now that I think of it, it's possible. All depends on how polls are looking in August. If Romney is looking at a close battle I'd imagine they'd pick someone up with rock-star status. But if Obama is goin' down no matter what, then I wouldn't be suprised to see Romney's Frat-buddy up there.

musicmax
01-10-2012, 11:00 PM
It'd be worth it just for the VP debate.

Which is why Mitt won't offer... imagine all the "this ticket should be - wait for it - flip-flopped" talk after Rand scorches HillarBiden.

Rothbardian Girl
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Would that be in your interest to not vote for the GOP nominee?

If I am understanding your post correctly (if I am not, please forgive me): A GOP win in 2012 would ensure that the pendulum would continue to swing back and forth. At least with Obama, there is obstinate deadlock (at least on the surface) with Republicans. A Republican president would probably start a war with Iran as well as grow the size of the surveillance state (with the consent of the typical right-wingers who may oppose Obama's wars and crackdowns out of blind partisan allegiance), so there would be essentially little or no deadlock.

If Ron does not win the nomination, I will hope that Obama gets re-elected, but I will not cast a vote for him out of principle. My "support" of Obama is based on the fact that I don't want the vicious cycle to pick up steam again.

Hopefully this ticket doesn't come to fruition. I would never support something like this. It is highly doubtful that Rand would accept such an offer, anyway. At least I hope that is the case.

[snip] he'd get what McCain got in 08', plus Dem's unhappy with Obama, and a huge majority of the Ind. vote
I have to disagree here. I don't think Rand is particularly strong among Democrats and/or Indies, due to his apparent wishy-washiness on foreign policy issues (yes, I know that Rand is likely just playing the political game, but I don't think the majority of Dem. voters realize that), and previous controversial statements about the Civil Rights Act (yes, I know Ron has said essentially the same thing, but Maddow had a field day with Rand on that issue).

However, here's what I think would be a stronger argument for your point: the danger of such a ticket would be essentially shepherding all the Tea Party folks who hate Romney into the fold... although that just shows the stupidity of most voters who would pick a moron like Romney on the basis of his VP pick, considering Romney seems to be in good health.

PreDeadMan
01-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Yes to Ron NO To Rand

SerArris
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
So, we are here discussing how to kiss the GOP's ass so that they will throw us a bone if and when RP doesn't
the nomination? Really? Seriously? I personally believe that Romney is no different than Obama. I don't see how us uniting behind him says anything about us except that we are the very thing we accuse Romney of being. Flip-floppers.
This isn't a game of inches. Its about changing direction before catastrophe hits. There is only 1 option we can make to see that fulfilled. If I have to choose between Obama and Romney I will abstain. This movement is about to fracture
the Republican party permanently and I can't wait to see what arises from it... this is all about gaining our freedom and liberty back and of that isn't what you want I don't know what else to tell you.

To the person who said something about voting for the lesser of 2 evils, I will see that and raise you a "better the devil you know". Neither really makes any sense and are both ridiculous ideas.

The Gold Standard
01-10-2012, 11:51 PM
I wouldnt vote for this ticket and i wouldnt vote for Rand in 16 if he decided to run if he went on the ticket if this happened.

This. I would vote for Vermin Supreme in both elections.

dillo
01-10-2012, 11:58 PM
im voting for george washington if Ron isnt the nominee, fuck the GOP

ryanmkeisling
01-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I get so sick of seeing these stupid threads. It is Ron Paul or nothing. Thats it. Ron Paul will be the one picking a VP. Just stop this shit.

anaconda
01-11-2012, 12:06 AM

It only perpetuates the corrupt one party system. Vote for a good third party candidate so that your vote is not wasted. and so that the one party system is penalized.

iamse7en
01-11-2012, 12:13 AM
im voting for george washington if Ron isnt the nominee, **** the GOP

lol. i like it.

Apollonius of Perga
01-11-2012, 12:35 AM
I thought about this too, but what if instead of using his leverage to get Rand a spot as running mate, he used his leverage to get a plank in the Republican platform on auditing the Fed and having sound money, and a promise that if Mitt wins he appoints Jim Grant as Fed chair?

idiom
01-11-2012, 12:56 AM
That would put Rand a heartbeat from the Presidency. I don't think Romney likes that idea very much.