PDA

View Full Version : Among the free-state faithful in New Hampshire: ‘We win even more’

Schiff_FTW
01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
There is this curious optimism among the Free Staters of New Hampshire -- "that interesting state that makes Vermont nervous," as a man who boasted of buying his used Dodge Caravan with a gold Kruggerand put it to me this week at an Iowa caucus-watching party in a Manchester bar.

Most of his comrades had by this time left the bar before the Iowa tally was final. Their man Ron Paul was down in the returns after successive strong showings in the Iowa polls, but as they got into their cars--unbuckled if they wanted to be, since New Hampshire is the only state with no mandatory seat belt law for adults, which is reason number 5 on the Free State Project's "101 Reasons to Move to New Hampshire" -- they felt very fine about the caucuses. "If Ron wins," said Edge, a fiftyish man in a black vest over a black fleece, a Free State refugee from what he saw as the big government of Rick Perry's Texas, "well, we win, of course. But if he doesn't win, we might win even more, since more people will move here."

Indeed, the Free Staters I spent the evening with were more optimistic than win-win. They'd jumped the gun, moving to New Hampshire from all over the country to begin the work of building a new society ahead of the Free State Project's "trigger" of 20,000 signatories to the Project's "Statement of Intent": "I hereby state my solemn intent to move to the state of New Hampshire. Once there, I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Continued at link... http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/among-free-state-faithful-hampshire-win-even-more-134755182.html