PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for winning South Carolina and Florida

itsnobody
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
In order to win the South we would have to:
- Gain the Senior Citizen vote (by pointing out that he wouldn't cut medicare or social security)
- Make Ron Paul appear pro-Israel (by pointing out his record defending Israel)
- Focus mostly on the economy (Ron Paul's strongest point with the GOP)
- Mention Ron Paul being pro-life and pro-gun

Right now Ron Paul is polling in 4th place in both Florida and South Carolina (meaning 0 delegates) so we have a lot of work to do...

libertylane
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds like a great game plan.

Intoxiklown
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
You MUST stress pro-life, pro-gun, and be sure the fact he is Baptist gets sprinkled around. Your points are great, and I am in no way taking away from them. But the three things I mentioned will help him TONS in the south.

itsnobody
01-11-2012, 02:38 AM
You MUST stress pro-life, pro-gun, and be sure the fact he is Baptist gets sprinkled around. Your points are great, and I am in no way taking away from them. But the three things I mentioned will help him TONS in the south.

I'm not sure that gun control and abortion are big issues since Romney is leading in the South still, but I added those to the list

Hyperion
01-11-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure that gun control and abortion are big issues since Romney is leading in the South still, but I added those to the list

Those are big issues. Ron Paul should heavily stress his pro life positions and contrast it with Romney's inconsistency. Guns are a huge issue to also hit Flip Flop. Add the fiscal issues and Ron Paul will surge.

Drex
01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Good plan!

Hyperion
01-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Now is the time for the campaign to do something of a phase shift. The South is probably receptive to economic libertarianism/Austrian stuff than any part of the country. The downside is that most Republicans tend to be rather hawkish and big on American greatness abroad.

We need to stress that Ron Paul will be strong on defense with ads emphasizing veteran/current armed forces support. Phase shift and strongly emphasize the issues where Ron Paul is seen by every day Republicans as being better than the other candidates(i.e. debt, taxes and government spending). It's time to really start gearing the campaign toward what conventionally would be seen as a much more Republican sounding campaign.

It's absolutely essential to air ads showing Mitt soft on guns and abortion. Many of these Republicans have deep reservations about Mitt and it's up to Ron's campaign team to make him unacceptable. It can be done.

This would be a great time to use Chuck Baldwin and Doug Wead heavily.

Meiun
01-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Agree! Let the Gingrinches attack attack attack. Let our guy shine!

angelatc
01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Florida is probably a lost cause. For starts, it's still "winner take all" as far as delegates go. Placing 2nd, even by a single vote, would be a huge waste of money.

The economy is the issue, but the Florida voter is pretty much committed to protecting that Social Security check at all costs, and Paul hasn't emphasized that his plan to save it. As a result, it's pretty easy to demagogue with "He's gonna take away your checks!"

newbitech
01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
re: Florida, everyone talks about that being some kind of strategy in Florida. Ok, I don't disagree with that, but I just want to point out that dealing with seniors is more of a national strategy than specific to Florida. You all see the polls, here is Florida's from 2008 http://www.npr.org/news/specials/election2008/primaries/fla/poll_interactive.html

What I would like to see Ron Paul do and start here in Florida is 3 fold.

1.) First and formost, include in to his what would you do as president - he would have the power to investigate and prosecute fraud. He needs to start this in Florida as a broader message of THE RULE OF LAW as it relates to Liberty. EVERYONE from the TOP DOWN will be held accountable to the same laws that the bottom are held accountable to.

2.) Hammer on the difference between cutting spending INCREASES, and actually cutting spending. This message hasn't sunk in yet.

3.) Make a more compassionate plea to ending overseas military adventurism and trust that the people will recognize the link with the economy. IOW, be careful not to treat people like they are stupid. People have a genuine concern (valid or not) and fear, and it is not helped by piling on with things that can be easily interpretted as "we can't defend ourselves because we are BROKE."

Really it's about attacking the same problem from different angles and not being laser beam focused and fixated on very narrow minded scopes. To have a broad based appeal, requires a broad based delivery. Expand the platform by making similar planks out of the same wood.

newbitech
01-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Florida is probably a lost cause. For starts, it's still "winner take all" as far as delegates go. Placing 2nd, even by a single vote, would be a huge waste of money.

The economy is the issue, but the Florida voter is pretty much committed to protecting that Social Security check at all costs, and Paul hasn't emphasized that his plan to save it. As a result, it's pretty easy to demagogue with "He's gonna take away your checks!"

have to disagree, 66% of FL primary voters in 2008 were not retirement age.

I would also point out, that while the economy was a strong factor in 2008, it did not register with a majority of voters. Close though.

Looking at the exit polls,

terrorism 21%
war in iraq 14%
illegal immigration 16%

all foreign policy issues

so it looks like florida voters in 2008 were more concerned about foreign policy than economics. I put illegal immigration into the foreign policy category because it deals with foreigners breaking in to our country. IF WE HAD STRONG NATIONAL DEFENSE, that problem would get solved REAL QUICK. Same with terrorism. Iraq is over now, so that leaves takes care of that concern, now on to afghanistan heh.

itsnobody
01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
SC is next in 10 days so we should probably focus more on SC than FL right now.

But Romney is leading in SC right now meaning that people care more about the economy or that people perceive Romney as socially conservative.