PDA

View Full Version : Dose of Reality for the Grassroots

tbone717
01-10-2012, 07:44 AM
It's going to be a long night, so I thought it would be helpful if we had a little bit of a dose of reality as we go into the day, so that we don't get ourselves off-track, overly positive or negative, and/or lost sight of the goal we have at hand.

1) The media will never be 100% fair to Ron Paul. Heck, the media will never be fair to any GOP candidate. The large percentage of the media has a left bias, we know that. The folks at Fox have a right bias, but it is tinged with neo-conservative overtones. Paul represents a threat to their power and their relevancy. Paul is a serious threat to win the GOP nomination - they know that. He is also a threat to defeat Obama. They see the same numbers we do. They fear Paul, therefore they will do whatever they can in their reporting to stifle Paul's rise. So when you see coverage that isn't favorable to Paul, don't have a conniption. The reality is that we will never get truly fair, unbiased coverage of Paul this year. We can work to change the media down the road, but in the short term we have to realize that it is what it is, and deal with it.

2) Voting irregularities occur. The campaign has got this under control. We cannot react with cries of voter fraud every time we see a result come in that does not meet our expectations. The campaign has people in place to ensure a fair count. Will irregularities occur? They likely will, because they always do. There is not some grand conspiracy to tamper with the vote. If there was, the campaign will be on top of it. So the reality is that sitting behind a computer screen, reading twitter posts about supposed fraud does not trump the boots on the ground that the campaign has. We shouldn't scream voter fraud, until the campaign does. It reflects badly on the grassroots support. Which leads me to my next point.

3) People are watching us. This isn't 2008, we are in the big leagues now. Paul is a top tier candidate, and as this plays out will likely be in a one on one contest with a Romney. The media has thrown everything they can at Paul to discredit him. They have no ammo left. Don't give them any! Anyone can log onto these forums, create an account and read every single thing that is said here. Before you post something have some common sense. Do not give the media a reason to paint the Paul supporters as a bunch of conspiracy theorists, kooks or foul mouthed radicals. When the campaign ran Christmas in Iowa they told volunteers to dress the part. Think of that when you post here, Facebook, Twitter or are out and about representing the campaign. Wear the uniform in your actions and your speech. You are representing the candidate, so do so with care. And before you get yourself all worked up in a tizzy this is not about someone telling you what to do, or trying to censor you. My plea is for self-censorship. We all self-censor ourselves. You do it in your life all the time. You dress, speak and act differently at a football game than you do at a funeral correct? So keep that in mind. Ask yourself, "will what I say or do possibly reflect poorly on Ron Paul?" The reality is that we have a lot of people in the grassroots that don't think before they act or speak. It's time we all do so.

4) This is a two-man race. Newt, Perry, Santorum & Huntsman are not in this for the long haul. It is evidenced by their failure to get on the ballot in later states. In order to run this race (which will be a marathon) it takes a combination of money, volunteers, organization and support. Only two candidates have that combination, Paul and Romney. As each of these early contests occur, we will see candidates exit the race. All of the above four are in this for the first time. They are aware of the reality as much as we are. They know they cannot win, they know they don't have the money to move forward. They are in this for their own career advancement, whether it is a VP slot, a cabinet position, future speaking fees or a run at this again in 2016. So the reality of the situation is that we need to be patient. We need not get flustered when we see someone like Huntsman gain momentum in a state like NH. Or when we see Perry or Newt come on strong in SC. By Super Tuesday, barring any unforeseen circumstance, most, if not all of them will be gone.

5) Lastly, we need to stay focused. Political races are broken up into three segments. The first is the long haul leading up to candidate announcements and the early debates. That is the time where grassroots folks like us push issues over policies. We were hugely successful doing this. This is the stuff we did from 08 on that brought awareness to issue like the Fed, government spending, foreign policy, etc. We then moved onto the "pre season" that is the time we spent pushing the candidate, raising awareness of his policy proposals. We increased the amount of activists and we got us in the position where we were able to compete. Now, the reality is that we are in the big game. This is the time where we need to be laser focused on a simple task, finding enough voters in a given state to win that state. It's just that simple. We do not have the luxury of time to convert the world to pure libertarianism - that was the stuff we were doing the last 4 years. Now we just need to simply get people to the polls to vote for Paul. Whether they vote for him because they love his free market policies, or whether they vote for him because they like his ties doesn't matter. Just get them to vote. So stay focused on the task at hand. If we do so, we will win!

Thank you for obliging me.

Comments?

refuge
01-10-2012, 07:49 AM
+rep
Great read, and pin request.

hazek
01-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Disagree with point nr. 1. The corporate media isn't biased, it's a propaganda machine spewing propaganda to prop up the status quo. Describing what they're doing by anything else is distorting what the reality is and if you ever want to change anything you have to call it as it is.

Words matter. The corporate media is a propaganda machine and they will never be behind Ron, not even somewhat. EVER.

mmadness
01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
3) People are watching us. This isn't 2008, we are in the big leagues now. Paul is a top tier candidate, and as this plays out will likely be in a one on one contest with a Romney. The media has thrown everything they can at Paul to discredit him. They have no ammo left. Don't give them any! Anyone can log onto these forums, create an account and read every single thing that is said here. Before you post something have some common sense. Do not give the media a reason to paint the Paul supporters as a bunch of conspiracy theorists, kooks or foul mouthed radicals. When the campaign ran Christmas in Iowa they told volunteers to dress the part. Think of that when you post here, Facebook, Twitter or are out and about representing the campaign. Wear the uniform in your actions and your speech. You are representing the candidate, so do so with care. And before you get yourself all worked up in a tizzy this is not about someone telling you what to do, or trying to censor you. My plea is for self-censorship. We all self-censor ourselves. You do it in your life all the time. You dress, speak and act differently at a football game than you do at a funeral correct? So keep that in mind. Ask yourself, "will what I say or do possibly reflect poorly on Ron Paul?" The reality is that we have a lot of people in the grassroots that don't think before they act or speak. It's time we all do so.

5) Lastly, we need to stay focused. Political races are broken up into three segments. The first is the long haul leading up to candidate announcements and the early debates. That is the time where grassroots folks like us push issues over policies. We were hugely successful doing this. This is the stuff we did from 08 on that brought awareness to issue like the Fed, government spending, foreign policy, etc. We then moved onto the "pre season" that is the time we spent pushing the candidate, raising awareness of his policy proposals. We increased the amount of activists and we got us in the position where we were able to compete. Now, the reality is that we are in the big game. This is the time where we need to be laser focused on a simple task, finding enough voters in a given state to win that state. It's just that simple. We do not have the luxury of time to convert the world to pure libertarianism - that was the stuff we were doing the last 4 years. Now we just need to simply get people to the polls to vote for Paul. Whether they vote for him because they love his free market policies, or whether they vote for him because they like his ties doesn't matter. Just get them to vote. So stay focused on the task at hand. If we do so, we will win!

+rep, especially points 3 and 5. We are in the BIG TIME, folks! Time to start acting like it.

jordie
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Yes we are big time, but don't get big heads already! We haven't won. There is so much work to do. Most important thing: Don't give up!!

FreeTraveler
01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Great Post! +rep

Readers Digest Condensed Version -- for those who'd rather go off half-cocked than read that much text. :D

1) The media will never be 100% fair to Ron Paul. So when you see coverage that isn't favorable to Paul, don't have a conniption.

2) Voting irregularities occur. The campaign has got this under control. We cannot react with cries of voter fraud every time we see a result come in that does not meet our expectations.

3) People are watching us. This isn't 2008, we are in the big leagues now. The media has thrown everything they can at Paul to discredit him. They have no ammo left. Don't give them any!

4) This is a two-man race. So the reality of the situation is that we need to be patient.

5) Lastly, we need to stay focused. This is the time where we need to be laser focused on a simple task, finding enough voters in a given state to win that state.

If you don't understand any of these points, refer back to the OP for details.

This has been a public service announcement. :)

tbone717
01-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Disagree with point nr. 1. The corporate media isn't biased, it's a propaganda machine spewing propaganda to prop up the status quo. Describing what they're doing by anything else is distorting what the reality is and if you ever want to change anything you have to call it as it is.

Words matter. The corporate media is a propaganda machine and they will never be behind Ron, not even somewhat. EVER.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but point 3, is why I don't refer to the media as a propaganda machine. The words we use matter. "Media bias" is a terminology that the average American is aware of and is comfortable with. "Propaganda machine" is the terminology we hear from infowars. And if you goal is to educate the masses on the propaganda machine then see point 5.

JohnGalt23g
01-10-2012, 08:09 AM
It's going to be a long night, so I thought it would be helpful if we had a little bit of a dose of reality as we go into the day, so that we don't get ourselves off-track, overly positive or negative, and/or lost sight of the goal we have at hand.

1) The media will never be 100% fair to Ron Paul. Heck, the media will never be fair to any GOP candidate. The large percentage of the media has a left bias, we know that. The folks at Fox have a right bias, but it is tinged with neo-conservative overtones. Paul represents a threat to their power and their relevancy. Paul is a serious threat to win the GOP nomination - they know that. He is also a threat to defeat Obama. They see the same numbers we do. They fear Paul, therefore they will do whatever they can in their reporting to stifle Paul's rise. So when you see coverage that isn't favorable to Paul, don't have a conniption. The reality is that we will never get truly fair, unbiased coverage of Paul this year. We can work to change the media down the road, but in the short term we have to realize that it is what it is, and deal with it.

2) Voting irregularities occur. The campaign has got this under control. We cannot react with cries of voter fraud every time we see a result come in that does not meet our expectations. The campaign has people in place to ensure a fair count. Will irregularities occur? They likely will, because they always do. There is not some grand conspiracy to tamper with the vote. If there was, the campaign will be on top of it. So the reality is that sitting behind a computer screen, reading twitter posts about supposed fraud does not trump the boots on the ground that the campaign has. We shouldn't scream voter fraud, until the campaign does. It reflects badly on the grassroots support. Which leads me to my next point.

4) This is a two-man race. Newt, Perry, Santorum & Huntsman are not in this for the long haul. It is evidenced by their failure to get on the ballot in later states. In order to run this race (which will be a marathon) it takes a combination of money, volunteers, organization and support. Only two candidates have that combination, Paul and Romney. As each of these early contests occur, we will see candidates exit the race. All of the above four are in this for the first time. They are aware of the reality as much as we are. They know they cannot win, they know they don't have the money to move forward. They are in this for their own career advancement, whether it is a VP slot, a cabinet position, future speaking fees or a run at this again in 2016. So the reality of the situation is that we need to be patient. We need not get flustered when we see someone like Huntsman gain momentum in a state like NH. Or when we see Perry or Newt come on strong in SC. By Super Tuesday, barring any unforeseen circumstance, most, if not all of them will be gone.

Thank you for obliging me.

Comments?

+rep and Hear Hear!!

mport1
01-10-2012, 08:14 AM
+rep. Especially for #2 as we witnessed this going on after Iowa.

anewvoice
01-10-2012, 08:14 AM
+rep bump

Cortes
01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
+rep

bobbyw24
01-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Reality will NOT be tolerated in this Fantasy Land

roc_rob
01-10-2012, 08:40 AM
I think a major liability of our movement is ignoring controversy and marginalizing its discussion. I feel that hushing critical voices within our own ranks leads to groupthink and engenders a destructive attitude of anything in support of Paul is great, regardless of how paranoid, inaccurate, reactionary, close minded, or simply ugly those supporting words may be.

I would much rather see thoughtful discussion of controversy, rather than lightweight dismissal, or its removal to the non-public liberty ghetto forums. Rather than creating a vacuum of discussion, we should make prominent our conversation, consideration, and reasoned condemnation of what we oppose. Even if we dismiss topics, that does not remove them from national attention. I think one of the scariest attitudes I see here essentially amounts to: ignore it and it will go away. I firmly believe that attitude is one of the movement's single great liabilities. We cannot create blind spots. It allows our opponents and attackers to fill them in.

mosquitobite
01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Great Post! +rep

Readers Digest Condensed Version -- for those who'd rather go off half-cocked than read that much text. :D

1) The media will never be 100% fair to Ron Paul. So when you see coverage that isn't favorable to Paul, don't have a conniption.

2) Voting irregularities occur. The campaign has got this under control. We cannot react with cries of voter fraud every time we see a result come in that does not meet our expectations.

3) People are watching us. This isn't 2008, we are in the big leagues now. The media has thrown everything they can at Paul to discredit him. They have no ammo left. Don't give them any!

4) This is a two-man race. So the reality of the situation is that we need to be patient.

5) Lastly, we need to stay focused. This is the time where we need to be laser focused on a simple task, finding enough voters in a given state to win that state.

If you don't understand any of these points, refer back to the OP for details.

This has been a public service announcement. :)

Awesome!

walt
01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
+rep
Great read, and pin request.

point of information: if you want a pin, I suggest suggesting others for removal. It's getting too crowded up there.

donnay
01-10-2012, 08:46 AM

This is where you and I disagree 100%. New Hampshire has the Diebold Accuvote optical scan. These scanners have been proven to be hacked.

We cannot also be Pollyanna's either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysheRLXuhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiiaBqwqkXs&feature=related

I would certainly loved to be proven wrong on this issue, and I certainly do not want to be a wet blanket about it. But the reality is, there is no way of knowing whether the memory cards have been rigged--as demonstrated in the above video.

walt
01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Speaking of does of reality, calling people getting out the vote in NH today is more important than this hypothetical discussion. I wish there was as much enthusiasm for that today, would might actually win if there was.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?348624-The-Unofficial-Good-Luck-Getting-Out-The-Vote-for-Ron-Paul-In-NH-2012-Thread

tbone717
01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Speaking of does of reality, calling people getting out the vote in NH today is more important than this hypothetical discussion. I wish there was as much enthusiasm for that today, would might actually win if there was.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?348624-The-Unofficial-Good-Luck-Getting-Out-The-Vote-for-Ron-Paul-In-NH-2012-Thread

Agreed. We still have 30 mins before the phone open.

Cortes
01-10-2012, 08:59 AM
I think a major liability of our movement is ignoring controversy and marginalizing its discussion. I feel that hushing critical voices within our own ranks leads to groupthink and engenders a destructive attitude of anything in support of Paul is great, regardless of how paranoid, inaccurate, reactionary, close minded, or simply ugly those supporting words may be.

I would much rather see thoughtful discussion of controversy, rather than lightweight dismissal, or its removal to the non-public liberty ghetto forums. Rather than creating a vacuum of discussion, we should make prominent our conversation, consideration, and reasoned condemnation of what we oppose. Even if we dismiss topics, that does not remove them from national attention. I think one of the scariest attitudes I see here essentially amounts to: ignore it and it will go away. I firmly believe that attitude is one of the movement's single great liabilities. We cannot create blind spots. It allows our opponents and attackers to fill them in.

Eh, I think it's the exact opposite. Go the other extreme and every other poster begins to spin a conspiracy about the media*/government/NWO putting down RP with little proof. The negativity approaches fatalism in the idea that the "NWO/black helicopters" vibe is what is the most popular among RP supporters. That attitude gets you nowhere.

The attitude by supporters that got RP to the frontrunner stage is our principled consistency in opposing big government, Federal Reserve policies that have brought down the economy, and wasteful and dangerous foreign policy that hurts national security.

*We already KNOW the media hates RP, so there's no real conspiracy. Just an obvious bias against him.

btwilli1
01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Point 5 should further say, don't get in people's faces and say RP will end IRS, cut all taxes. People want to hear realistic goals, and they laugh at these big monumental goals. Talk about RP's positions in little understandable bites of information. Then if they seem interested explain things more.

When you start sounding crazy people start ignoring you. The movement's end goals are crazy to imagine right now, but everyone needs to take it one small goal at a time. Ron Paul won't be able to accomplish half the stuff he talks about but him being President will allow him to get us started on that path. That's why instead of talking the extremes of RP's policies you should talk about the start-up things a RP presidency can really accomplish.

roc_rob
01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Eh, I think it's the exact opposite. Go the other extreme and every other poster begins to spin a conspiracy about the media*/government/NWO putting down RP with little proof. The negativity approaches fatalism in the idea that the "NWO/black helicopters" vibe is what is the most popular among RP supporters. That attitude gets you nowhere.

I am speaking more in regard to issues like the newsletters than I am the "NWO/black helicopters" contingent. A trouble with an argument based on "the other extreme" is diminishing all the shades of grey between, and alternate contrasts. I wouldn't even frame it is as general forum attitude vs. paranoid conspiracy theories. I even call out paranoia as negative in the post you are responding to. My criticism is directed toward the general forum attitude vs. direct confrontation of our flaws and weaknesses.

The attitude by supporters that got RP to the frontrunner stage is our principled consistency in opposing big government, Federal Reserve policies that have brought down the economy, and wasteful and dangerous foreign policy that hurts national security.

I agree, and I fear losing that frontrunner status to unaddressed blind spots. I have been told to shut up, been called a rat, negative rep'd, and accused of being a troll for simply bringing up the newsletters. Yet, for all of the insistence that ignoring them is effective, there they appear in the NH debate.

TexMac
01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I agree, and I fear losing that frontrunner status to unaddressed blind spots. I have been told to shut up, been called a rat, negative rep'd, and accused of being a troll for simply bringing up the newsletters. Yet, for all of the insistence that ignoring them is effective, there they appear in the NH debate.

And starting more newsletters threads would have helped this how? I think you should be neg-repped for whining about it on THIS thread.

unknown
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM

This is the only thing that I disagree with.

We need to be VERY diligent, especially those on the ground.

tbone717
01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
This is the only thing that I disagree with.

We need to be VERY diligent, especially those on the ground.

I bolded your post for emphasis. Therein lies the difference. Those on the ground can report any irregularities to the campaign, and if need be the campaign has everything in place that they need to address this. It's the knee jerk cries of "fraud" when we see a county report come in where adjustments might be made to a total that paint us in a bad light. There is a very small, but vocal contingency here that seem to think that Paul would win every state with 90% were it not for fraud and the media conspiracy. I'm exaggerating of course, but only for emphasis of point.

Cortes
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Remember. Public image. The media applies a double standard and uses the fallacy that we as supporters and RP are a single entity. Whatever we do, he will be judged for it. The better he does (which he is doing), the more they are easily called out for it. They already lost the 'gadfly' and 'fringe' battle. We won. They retreat to other forms of blackout. But they are losing.

This is not unique to Paul's candidacy. Reagan, Kennedy, Goldwater, all have had this fallacy used against them by the media.

This is politics, not some great Austro-Lib debate panel on Freedom Watch. Image wins. Always. Forever.

kill the banks
01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
yes carry Dr Paul with you and keep him there

mmadness
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Bump

mmadness
01-11-2012, 02:21 AM
bump