PDA

View Full Version : The Root: "Ron Paul's Moment of Racial Clarity"

Tyler_Durden
01-10-2012, 12:08 AM
"This flipping of the script flummoxed the other GOP candidates, who looked betrayed as the audience gazed up in a deafening silence.

Such open admission of deep, structural racism in America is considered heresy among Republicans, white or black -- notwithstanding the statistical facts of the matter. The death-penalty bias is also sacrosanct.

This racial skeleton trotted out of the closet not only offended Paul's rivals before the shocked GOP audience; the revelation also seemed to disorient the ABC panel.

Institutionalized racism, apart from the petit charges and countercharges about who said what slur when, has a knack of throwing a wrench into polite, mainstream media discourse. As the other panelists gasped, it fell to ABC's Diane Sawyer to change the subject, never to be continued that night or likely any other. "We want to take a break right now," she said, ticking off a few different topics to be discussed upon their return."

http://www.theroot.com/views/ron-paul-tackles-racism-issue?page=0,0

Sublyminal
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Yea, I think RP has put the whole racism charade in the bag.

Mogambo Guru
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
"moment"?

more like "Life"

Johncjackson
01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
"moment"?

more like "Life"
The article is about a specific moment in 1 debate, not Ron Paul's life story.

unknown
01-10-2012, 01:39 AM
He was talking about this very issue around the same time he was allegedly writing those terrible letters.

That makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXHQM2SASFU

Lafayette
01-10-2012, 01:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXHQM2SASFU

Who is this guy and why won't he just go away already?!
The nerve of this man, thinking he can consistently challenge the status quo for 30 years and get away with it. Its a good thing no one is listening to him now, guy must think hes polling 2nd place in NH primary or something.

Whata kook!

Wolfgang Bohringer
01-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Yea, I think RP has put the whole racism charade in the bag.

I really really hope somebody brings it up again. This morning they brought it up with Rand while they had the chance with a less pure libertarian who was less equipped to slam them in response as Ron did Friday night.

But...Ron should be extra prepared and extra hopeful that somebody brings it up again hopefully in a debate with the other candidates there for Ron to embarrass again. If they're too smart to bring it up again, then he should bring it up himself. Here's what Ron must do:

Wolf Blitzer: Now to Ron Paul. So what about those racist newsletters?

Ron: Wolf, I thought you'd never ask! Just recently I was reading somewhere about the Mormon missions that Mitt Romney used as an excuse to skip out on the Viet Nam war and that got me thinking about the racial problems that the Mormon church had back in those days with bi-racial couples, blacks being allowed certain privileges in the church, etc. and that got me thinking about the TV ad that I saw recently that was made about the bigots that I used to work with at the hospital in Houston who had tried to deny service to my black patients.

And it kind of brought me back to recalling what it was like back in those days having to work in an environment like that and trying to be courageous enough to do the right thing when a racially injust situation arose. I'm sure Mitt could tell you similar stories about similar situations that occurred in the religious environment that he was raised in. But courage in the area of racial justice doesn't absolve him from using Mormon missions as cover for his chicken-hawkedness of course--which ultimately affects the lives, liberty, and property of many more people at a much higher order of magnitude.

Mitt: Let me jump in. I never saw any racial injustice in my church.

Ron: Well your church didn't allow blacks in the priesthood until 1978 and in 1978 they established--I said established not abolished--a policy of discouraging interracial marriage, so it looks like there is still some work to do racial injustice-wise at your church.

Mitt, you know that this is the kind of thing that I would never bring up because normally it is the kind of thing that would be sensationalized and have a net negative affect on race relations. But, Wolf and the pentagon-controlled media seem hell bent on whipping people up with the race issue (when they aren't titillating them with gay sex), so I thought why not put a human face on this: Me working as a young doctor in a racist hospital, you growing up in a racist religion. [And then Ron says with a Bill Murray-ish affect:] But, I'm not letting you off the hook on the chicken-hawk business...you knucklehead.

Wolf: Whew, I guess we'd be smart to knock off the race baiting for a while--at least until we see how far Ron gets by super-Tuesday after which if Ron is still in the hunt we may have to pull it out as a last ditch effort to combat the power of Ron's ideas.

unknown
01-10-2012, 02:04 AM
If they're too smart to bring it up again, then he should bring it up himself. Here's what Ron must do:

Yah ahhh, I dunno.

idiom
01-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Really good article.

unknown
01-10-2012, 02:18 AM
That Ron Paul, I suspected that he might have something against White Missionaries, and I was right!

Ron Paul Voted Against Mother Theresa Award (http://therepublicanmother.blogspot.com/2011/12/ron-paul-voted-against-mother-theresa.html)

I oppose the Gold Medal for Mother Teresa Act because appropriating $30,000 of taxpayer money is neither constitutional nor, in the spirit of Mother Teresa who dedicated here entire life to voluntary, charitable work, particularly humanitarian.

Because of my continuing and uncompromising opposition to appropriations not authorized within the enumerated powers of the Constitution, several of my colleagues found it amusing to question me personally as to whether, on this issue, I would maintain my resolve and commitment of the Constitution–a Constitution, which only months ago, each Member of Congress, swore to uphold. In each of these instances, I offered to do a little more than uphold my constitutional oath.

In fact, as a means of demonstrating my personal regard and enthusiasm for the work of Mother Teresa, I invited each of these colleagues to match my private, personal contribution of $100 which, if accepted by the 435 Members of the House of Representatives, would more than satisfy the $30,000 cost necessary to mint and award a gold medal to the well-deserving Mother Teresa. To me, it seemed a particularly good opportunity to demonstrate one’s genuine convictions by spending one’s own money rather than that of the taxpayers who remain free to contribute, at their own discretion, to the work of Mother Teresa and have consistently done so.

For the record, not a single Representative who solicited my support for spending taxpayer’s money, was willing to contribute their own money to demonstrate the courage of their so-called convictions and generosity.

It is, of course, very easy to be generous with other people’s money.

unknown
01-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Not everyone can be Mitt Romney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGMi7a53jA