PDA

View Full Version : "The heart and soul of conservatism is Libertarianism"

rideurlightning
01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't understand why no one ever pushes this quote, when it was said by REAGAN himself! Now I know we are all not huge Reagan fans here, but the GOP worships him, and if more people knew about this quote, then maybe libertarianism wouldn't be so off-putting (especially to the elderly).

Thoughts?

tbone717
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I agree. I use it often. Reagan is beloved by the average GOP voter, and those of us in the libertarian wing remember what Reagan for what he stood for in his 76 and 80 campaign.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Said by Ronald Reagan, in 1975, and the quote was published in Reason Magazine.

dagnybell
01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Here's a longer version of that quote:

"If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism.

I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories.

The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is."

- Ronald Reagan, "Inside Ronald Reagan", Reason magazine, July 1975

I totally agree that it would help to get this out there.

IDefendThePlatform
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Just saw this posted on Facebook:

Kregisen
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I have had this quote as my signature on here for the past 6 months. (and I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of "conservative" guests have read it when viewing these forums)

heavenlyboy34
01-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I've pointed this out to the self-styled "conservative" libertarian-haters on other forums. Usually shuts them up. ;)

Highstreet
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Just saw this posted on Facebook:

Can't read it. Can you make it bigger before you post?

rideurlightning
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Here's a longer version of that quote:

"If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism.

I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories.

The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is."

- Ronald Reagan, "Inside Ronald Reagan", Reason magazine, July 1975

I totally agree that it would help to get this out there.

Never saw the whole quote. Nice. It's a shame Reagan gave into the Republican establishment.