PDA

View Full Version : Great opening on The Daily Show

Razmear
01-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Covering the debate.
First segment was the "what would you be doing on a saturday night" question. Jon said he believed one of the answers, Ron's reading an economics text book.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
heh :) although Jon has smeared Ron in the past, I'm really surprised with all the love he's been sending our way.

muh_roads
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Independents and liberals that are paid to pay attention to the media 24/7 for their jobs are the ones who can most easily put the pieces together and smell the bullshit regarding what is going on.

Korey Kaczynski
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
heh :) although Jon has smeared Ron in the past, I'm really surprised with all the love he's been sending our way.

Liberals don't trust conservatives and don't "get" them. He's figured out Ron Paul is one of the few legit people in politics so generally gives him a lot of favor cause that's respectable.

Jeremy Tyler
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Tube?

thoughtomator
01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Jon Stewart has always had a strong libertarian streak... he used to be one very very very heavy pot smoker

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120693/

Giuliani was there on 911
01-09-2012, 11:06 PM

He probably thinks we have no shot so he's got nothing to worry about it. He treated us MUCH differently during the last election. What gives, I know Dr. Paul's message didn't change.

01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Jon Stewart has always had a strong libertarian streak... he used to be one very very very heavy pot smoker

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120693/

I wouldn't say that.

BuddyRey
Any tubes yet?

BigByrd47119
He probably thinks we have no shot so he's got nothing to worry about it. He treated us MUCH differently during the last election. What gives, I know Dr. Paul's message didn't change.

Its probably the same thing that "gives" nation wide. People are starting to come around to the ideals of Dr. Paul.

jct74
01-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Video:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-wades-through-4-hours-of-pious-bologna-from-this-weekends-gop-debates/

01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Its probably the same thing that "gives" nation wide. People are starting to come around to the ideals of Dr. Paul.

Not the media.

BuddyRey
01-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Video:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-wades-through-4-hours-of-pious-bologna-from-this-weekends-gop-debates/

Awesome! Thanks!

JoshS
01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Hilarious! My mom called me and she was laughing because she said Ron was OBVIOUSLY the only one not lying.

slamhead
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM

I do not know where you are getting that from. John Stewart has been very fair to Ron. John, although being liberal is consistent like Paul and is able to back up his positions with a well thought out argument. Stewart likes Ron Paul for that reason. John Stewart is a friend of ours. He is not some blinded liberal and I would think that many of us could come to some agreement on 80% of the issues.

JoshS
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd love to see Jon Stewart interview Tom Woods. I think Tom could fully convert him.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I'd love to see Jon Stewart interview Tom Woods. I think Tom could fully convert him.

That is a frakking awesome idea!

ronpaulitician
01-09-2012, 11:38 PM
What? No chicken hawk and/or corruption bit? That was pure gold.

libertyhawkeye
01-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Let's just hope a lot of the independents in NH were watching TDS tonight. That segment really hit Romney hard.

Rincewind
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
What? No chicken hawk and/or corruption bit? That was pure gold.

I think it's behind the bits he did pick in terms of comedic potential. It's a comedy show, remember.

01-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I'd love to see Jon Stewart interview Tom Woods. I think Tom could fully convert him.Stewart is a religious fanatic. People like that don't get converted. And I'm pretty surprised to see people here having such a positive view of Stewart. I don't see him as being any different than the rest of the liberal media.

ronpaulitician
01-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Stewart is a religious fanatic. People like that don't get converted. And I'm pretty surprised to see people here having such a positive view of Stewart. I don't see him as being any different than the rest of the liberal media.
I love me some Stewart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5aGgQXhXo

Luieburger
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
"I'd be reading an economic textbook." Oh... how funny that line is in the right context.

pauliticalfan
01-10-2012, 12:07 AM
"I'd be reading an economic textbook." Oh... how funny that line is in the right context.

Something 99% of the country wouldn't be doing, even economic majors. And that's exactly why Ron Paul needs to be president.

sailingaway
01-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Liberals don't trust conservatives and don't "get" them. He's figured out Ron Paul is one of the few legit people in politics so generally gives him a lot of favor cause that's respectable.

He think it is disgraceful for media to be biased. It isn't Ron, it is fair reporting.

Mises_to_Paul
01-10-2012, 12:09 AM

I doubt very much Tom Woods would ever be invited on TDS.

This is from a poster called "John James" on the Mises Forums (http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/26828.aspx).

But I'm glad you mentioned Woods because that guy is like Stewart's kryptonite. I can almost guarantee Tom is the last guy Stewart would ever have on his show. Woods is sharp, and extremely articulate and eloquent. He "gets it"...meaning he's never caught in a situation where someone is talking past him. And he knows his stuff, and can not only break things down so understandably and so quickly, but he can do so in a way that rivals Stewart's smug "well-of-course-this-is-the-way-it-is, Stupid" way of presenting things. That's one of Jon Stewart's and Bill Maher's greatest assets is the ability to pretend their opinion is not only the obvious and correct view, but also one that everyone agrees with...such that if you disagree you're either an idiot or insane. This wins over a lot of people, and it's the way they are able to defuse of lot of debates that they would otherwise lose. Woods has his own way of doing this that I find even more entertaining.

And if you combine that with his understanding of economics and vast knowledge of history, he's simply devastating...but even more so to "whiz kids" like Stewart and Maher who pride themselves on being smarter than everyone they go up against. I say Woods is their kryptonite because he's about the only guy who could totally defuse their modus operandi. I can't think of many others who can even play their game, let alone beat them at it.

I think I have a lower opinion of Stewart than most on here. I think Stewart is helpful (in small doses) only because he truly believes Ron Paul is not a threat and he can get some laughs and street cred pointing out the absurdity of the media's actions towards Paul.

If Paul won the nomination and became a threat to Obama, you'd see a much different man. If anti-statist sentiment started to trend towards becoming the norm, you certainly would.

Freebie
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
I love me some Stewart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5aGgQXhXo

Watching this now is great. It's so ridiculous. We really have come a long way.

moonshine5757
01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
john stewart is terrific. that was funny

Korey Kaczynski
01-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Stewart is a religious fanatic. People like that don't get converted. And I'm pretty surprised to see people here having such a positive view of Stewart. I don't see him as being any different than the rest of the liberal media.

Nah, he's a good guy. He won't get converted but he can still tell Paul is honest, hence the soft support.

Eric21ND
01-10-2012, 01:12 AM
How do we get Tom Woods on the Daily Show?

idiom
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
So.... HOW IS ROMNEY KICKING ALL OF OUR ASSES?!?!?

Good point.

pauliticalfan
01-10-2012, 01:20 AM
So.... HOW IS ROMNEY KICKING ALL OF OUR ASSES?!?!?

Good point.

The three Ms: his money, his mane, and the media.

RonRocks
01-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Jon Stewart voted for George HW Bush in 1988 so he's not really a partisan hack. He isn't happy with Obama passing the NDAA and now probably sees the evils of big government. I honestly think he's on our side and is curious to learn more about Austrian economics, remember he's gonna have the Judge on again tomorrow, that's twice in the past 2 months or so.

pen_thief
01-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Dr. Paul has a great quote, "Never give up on your opposition."

That's why I cut Jon, Cenk and other Libs/Progressives some slack. (By the way, I'm not saying I don't get pissed when they misunderstand or purposely misconstrue Ron Paul's ideas). But I used to be one, and I guess I'm hoping they come around. Plus, Cenk's got an infectious laugh (I literally laugh at him laughing -the word "goofy" comes to mind) and Jon says the damndest things :D

This was a good segment. Would love to have seen the "chickenhawk" part but that was a little too "srs" for The Daily Show :p

affa
01-10-2012, 02:30 AM
It's funny how often some of you who don't even watch Stewart's show love to tell regular watchers what Jon's opinions are. I watch him every night.

Here's the deal:
1) Jon Stewart likes Ron Paul.
2) Jon Stewart trusts Ron Paul.
3) Jon Stewart respects Ron Paul.
4) Jon Stewart does not trust libertarianism; that is, he does not trust deregulation.
5) Jon Stewart is liberal; he trusts gov't to regulate, but not in warfare, whereas many 'conservatives' trust gov't in warfare, but not to regulate.
6) Jon Stewart dislikes Obama.
7) Jon Stewart does not trust Obama.
8) Jon Stewart hates the NDAA
9) Jon Stewart is very aware of corruption in gov't, and the inability of our gov't to legislate itself out of a paper bag. He does not, unfortunately, yet connect that with 'regulations'.

He can be an ally. It will require a huge leap of faith on his part - but many from the left have already made that leap.