PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question: If Cpl. Thorson is Punished, Why Can Sen. Lindsey Graham Be in Politics?

01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
This is a serious question because I just don't know the answer, not because I'm trying to go after Lindsey Graham. I immensely respect Senator Graham's service, even if I almost completely disagree with his foreign policy views.

As most of you probably know by now, Army reservist Cpl. Jesse Thorsen faces possible punishment for his participation in a CNN interview and then, later, a post-caucus rally in Iowa, both supporting Ron Paul for president. (http://www.military.com/news/article/ron-paul-debacle-prompts-reminder-for-troops.html)

Senator Lindsey Graham, R-SC, has been in the Air Force for years, first as an active duty and more recently as a reservist. He stayed in the Air Force reserves during the time when he ran for Congress, and later when he ran for Senate. In fact, he has served overseas for brief stints even while still a senator.

I am sure there are other reservists who are in elected office, as well, but Lindsey Graham is the case that immediately comes to mind.

The question is how can a reservist serve in office but not advocate for a presidential candidate?

Please, let's not delve into attacks against the Senator. Like I said, this is a serious question. Like many, I am concerned for the welfare of Cpl. Thorsen and appreciate both his service and standing up for his principles, but I am unclear on the law here.

Agorism
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe different rules for national guard people?

Not sure.

Grubb556
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
This is a serious question because I just don't know the answer, not because I'm trying to go after Lindsey Graham. I immensely respect Senator Graham's service, even if I almost completely disagree with his foreign policy views.

As most of you probably know by now, Army reservist Cpl. Jesse Thorsen faces possible punishment for his participation in a CNN interview and then, later, a post-caucus rally in Iowa, both supporting Ron Paul for president. (http://www.military.com/news/article/ron-paul-debacle-prompts-reminder-for-troops.html)

Senator Lindsey Graham, R-SC, has been in the Air Force for years, first as an active duty and more recently as a reservist. He stayed in the Air Force reserves during the time when he ran for Congress, and later when he ran for Senate. In fact, he has served overseas for brief stints even while still a senator.

I am sure there are other reservists who are in elected office, as well, but Lindsey Graham is the case that immediately comes to mind.

The question is how can a reservist serve in office but not advocate for a presidential candidate?

Please, let's not delve into attacks against the Senator. Like I said, this is a serious question. Like many, I am concerned for the welfare of Cpl. Thorsen and appreciate both his service and standing up for his principles, but I am unclear on the law here.

Just a guess but, tt seems Thorson endorsed Paul while in uniform, whereas I don't think Sen. Lindsey Graham does senate sessions in his uniform.

Philhelm
01-09-2012, 11:39 PM
The uniform is what makes the difference. If Thorson did not wear the uniform, it would be a non-issue.

TheViper
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Just a guess but, tt seems Thorson endorsed Paul while in uniform, whereas I don't think Sen. Lindsey Graham does senate sessions in his uniform.

The uniform is what makes the difference. If Thorson did not wear the uniform, it would be a non-issue.
Quoting both because they are correct. According to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, while in uniform you are not allowed to engage in any form of politics but while out of uniform, you may at any level.

LibertasPraesidium
01-10-2012, 12:03 AM
cpl thorson, if he was in the military at the time of the caucus could have been in uniform because of being at work that day and was caught up in the events. More than likely he would get a simple reprimand depending on his performance record. The reporter said he was active duty. There are a few exceptions to the rules on the books there but he gets free legal counsel and because he was off duty he may just get a slap on the wrist.

If his boss, really wants to make certain other soldiers don't stand up and support candidates, then he could be reprimanded but I don't believe the extremity of the statement would be exceptionally harsh. couple days pay lost, suspension of leave, at most a demotion. Just a guess, I believe its up to his commander.

In the National Guard specifically it is all in whether the uniform is on, the are a few exceptions but political rallies are not one of them. There was an unconfirmed mention of him potentially being out.

Philhelm
01-10-2012, 12:24 AM
As an aside, wouldn't the tattoo on his neck be against Army regulations? At least a few years ago, tattoos could not be placed on parts of the body that would remain visible while wearing the Class A uniform.

01-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the helpful answers! So glad to have so many military folks here that support Paul. :)

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-10-2012, 08:50 AM
If he supported Mittens, this would be a non-issue

oyarde
01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Google Dept of Defense Directive 1344.10. All the answers are in there. Probably 14 pages , large type , easy read. Looks like while I was in the Reserve & Guard I was in violation , maybe a couple of times a month for awhile. If I ever begin to feel guilty ( not gonna happen ;) ) , I suppose I can write the DOD a letter and ask for forgiveness ? :)