PDA

View Full Version : I tried to become a delegate in my Pcnt....

xRedfoxx
11-10-2007, 12:05 AM
..and after talking with my Pcnt's GOP chairman, he asked if I would take over the chair too. Kind of an unexpected surprise!!

I guess that is one small victory for Ron Paul and his message.

Jobarra
11-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Congrats :)

hopeforamerica
11-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Simply awesome! Great job.

reduen
11-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Great news here! Now this is worth reading.

Way to go my friend! :)

Flirple
That's very encouraging! Way to go.

American
WOW, thats great....right?

Good job!

beerista
11-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Great news. There is hope after all.

xRedfoxx
11-10-2007, 12:14 AM
I think it's good...this is all new to me. Way I understand it, the Pcnt. chairs oversee the selection of the delegates right after the primaries....so......uh......yea....seems like I'll have some influence there.......I'm pretty pumped because it just kind of fell into my lap. Right place at the right time. I hope some of you find this encouraging so that we get folks in every pcnt around the nation as delegates. You just have to make the call and/or show up!!

0zzy
11-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I think it's good...this is all new to me. Way I understand it, the Pcnt. chairs oversee the selection of the delegates right after the primaries....so......uh......yea....seems like I'll have some influence there.......I'm pretty pumped because it just kind of fell into my lap. Right place at the right time. I hope some of you find this encouraging so that we get folks in every pcnt around the nation as delegates. You just have to make the call and/or show up!!

So what happens? As a chairman, you get to pick delegates in your district? That go to the state convention and vote? And some of them vote for the nomination in the national? And you get to go to both? Or? Im confused :X

JosephTheLibertarian
11-10-2007, 12:17 AM
show up...where?

cool though

Cindy
11-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Awesome news!!!!! We could use more RP supporters as GOP Chairs!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!

JosephTheLibertarian
11-10-2007, 12:24 AM
we really need to infiltrate these things. If Ron Paul loses a state via popular vote, does that mean that the delegates he has don't count?

me3
11-10-2007, 12:35 AM
..and after talking with my Pcnt's GOP chairman, he asked if I would take over the chair too. Kind of an unexpected surprise!!

Fantastic job. This is exactly the kind of efforts, results and energy we need. Thank you!

If you are in a MeetUp, it should be easy for you to organize further within the precinct.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Fantastic job. This is exactly the kind of efforts, results and energy we need. Thank you!

If you are in a MeetUp, it should be easy for you to organize further within the precinct.

yeah, he should try to bump off the non-Ron Paul people and replace them wth pro-Ron Paul folk. Try to take over the other chairs as well :D we should try to really get every meet up member as a delegate...

me3
11-10-2007, 12:38 AM
yeah, he should try to bump off the non-Ron Paul people and replace them wth pro-Ron Paul folk. Try to take over the other chairs as well :D we should try to really get every meet up member as a delegate...
This forum is public. I don't like using words like infiltrate, and such. We are trying to win over the true conservatives in the GOP and re-establish traditional party values.

beerista
11-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Some of us are just starting to get into a position where this information is really relevant to us. Could you supply some more info?
Where are you?
How many people in your precinct?
What kind of an approach did you use when you first started showing up for these meetings (assuming you weren't until recently)?
How receptive were the average GOP meeting goers to your involvement?
You know, stuff like that. I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable about the whole process if I had as much info going in as possible.

This forum is public. I don't like using words like infiltrate, and such. We are trying to win over the true conservatives in the GOP and re-establish traditional party values.

Agreed. There are lots of good people still within the party. We're trying to help the majority of Republicans, those that have remained and struggled and suffered while their party has turned its back on them, to regain their voice and return the party to its roots. The Republican party has already been "taken over" by NON-conservatives. We're just helping our fellow constituents take it back. This is a noble cause, folks.

Bradley in DC
11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
So what happens? As a chairman, you get to pick delegates in your district? That go to the state convention and vote? And some of them vote for the nomination in the national? And you get to go to both? Or? Im confused :X

0zzy,

This is a very state specific. Go the the state subfora on this site for better information. A general discussion here would be counterproductive.

entropy
11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Some of us are just starting to get into a position where this information is really relevant to us. Could you supply some more info?
Where are you?
How many people in your precinct?
What kind of an approach did you use when you first started showing up for these meetings (assuming you weren't until recently)?
How receptive were the average GOP meeting goers to your involvement?
You know, stuff like that. I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable about the whole process if I had as much info going in as possible.

Agreed. There are lots of good people still within the party. We're trying to help the majority of Republicans, those that have remained and struggled and suffered while their party has turned its back on them, to regain their voice and return the party to its roots. The Republican party has already been "taken over" by NON-conservatives. We're just helping our fellow constituents take it back. This is a noble cause, folks.

Ditto this, I would like to learn more about the process. Please give all relevant info.
Thanks

Furis
11-11-2007, 02:31 PM

While I agree with the sentiment you have to remember that we are in a party that has been infiltrated by Neo-Cons.

ladyliberty
11-11-2007, 02:33 PM
sounds like a great gig - don't blow it! :D

Vvick727
11-11-2007, 02:34 PM
oh shweet!

Thomas Paine
11-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Congratulatons! More Ron Paul supporters should try to take advantage of opportunities like this in local GOP organizations because it will only enhance Ron Paul's influence within the local GOP organizations. However, be prepared to enounter some resistance from the local GOP establishment.

I am just old enough to remember the 1988 GOP state convention in Michigan when Pat Robertson supporters and Jack Kemp supporters teamed up to take over the Michigan GOP leadership. The so-called Michigan GOP establishment backed then VP George Herbert Walker Bush and a nasty fight (I mean really nasty) developed between the Bush supporters and the Robertson-Kemp alliance at the state convention in Grand Rapids. In fact, I think two competing conventions were held at the same time because the Bush supporters would not recognize the Kemp-Robertson supporters and vice versa. I don't think the dispute between Bush camp and the Robertson-Kemp camp in Michigan was resolved until right before the GOP national convention by which time Bush had locked up sufficient delegates to win the GOP nomination. Nevertheless, there was some bad blood that lingered for the next four years between the old-timers (Bush supporters) and newcomers (Robertson-Kemp supporters) in the Michigan GOP.

When I became a congressional campaign manger for a Michigan congressman a few years later I learned that the old-timers felt like their party was being taken over by a bunch of newcomers who had never helped out in local GOP races before. The newcomers felt like the old-timers were constantly working to exclude them from participating in the local GOP organizations.

My words of advice are that since Ron Paul is a GOP candidate, it is essential that Ron Paul supporters begin joining local GOP organizations in order to be in a position to take advantage of opportunities that will help Ron Paul in winning the GOP nomination. Although some of the "old-timers" in the local GOP organization may be immature enough to publicly say derogatory things about Ron Paul, just turn the other cheek and be civil to defuse any potential divisiveness. Just as we are passionate for Ron Paul, believe it or not there are some passionate supporters of the other GOP candidates. As Christ says in the New Testament: "Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

The key is to not destroy any bridges to potential members of local GOP organizations who are sitting on the fence right now (there are a lot of fence sitters right now) who just might support Ron Paul so long as they are not turned off by any behavior deemed divisive. Also, keep in mind that as some of the other GOP candidates begin to drop out of the race, their supporters will be looking at the remaining GOP candidates to support and it would be great if some of those supporters begin to rally behind Ron Paul after giving him a second look. However, they might not be inclined to give Ron Paul a chance if they think that Ron Paul supporters are acting divisively. Paying a membership fee (typically only $25) to join the local GOP organization will go a long way toward gaining credibility within that organization.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the long post.

beerista
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Congratulatons! More Ron Paul supporters should try to take advantage of opportunities like this in local GOP organizations because it will only enhance Ron Paul's influence within the local GOP organizations. However, be prepared to enounter some resistance from the local GOP establishment.

I am just old enough to remember the 1988 GOP state convention in Michigan when Pat Robertson supporters and Jack Kemp supporters teamed up to take over the Michigan GOP leadership. The so-called Michigan GOP establishment backed then VP George Herbert Walker Bush and a nasty fight (I mean really nasty) developed between the Bush supporters and the Robertson-Kemp alliance at the state convention in Grand Rapids. In fact, I think two competing conventions were held at the same time because the Bush supporters would not recognize the Kemp-Robertson supporters and vice versa. I don't think the dispute between Bush camp and the Robertson-Kemp camp in Michigan was resolved until right before the GOP national convention by which time Bush had locked up sufficient delegates to win the GOP nomination. Nevertheless, there was some bad blood that lingered for the next four years between the old-timers (Bush supporters) and newcomers (Robertson-Kemp supporters) in the Michigan GOP.

When I became a congressional campaign manger for a Michigan congressman a few years later I learned that the old-timers felt like their party was being taken over by a bunch of newcomers who had never helped out in local GOP races before. The newcomers felt like the old-timers were constantly working to exclude them from participating in the local GOP organizations.

My words of advice are that since Ron Paul is a GOP candidate, it is essential that Ron Paul supporters begin joining local GOP organizations in order to be in a position to take advantage of opportunities that will help Ron Paul in winning the GOP nomination. Although some of the "old-timers" in the local GOP organization may be immature enough to publicly say derogatory things about Ron Paul, just turn the other cheek and be civil to defuse any potential divisiveness. Just as we are passionate for Ron Paul, believe it or not there are some passionate supporters of the other GOP candidates. As Christ says in the New Testament: "Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

The key is to not destroy any bridges to potential members of local GOP organizations who are sitting on the fence right now (there are a lot of fence sitters right now) who just might support Ron Paul so long as they are not turned off by any behavior deemed divisive. Also, keep in mind that as some of the other GOP candidates begin to drop out of the race, their supporters will be looking at the remaining GOP candidates to support and it would be great if some of those supporters begin to rally behind Ron Paul after giving him a second look. However, they might not be inclined to give Ron Paul a chance if they think that Ron Paul supporters are acting divisively. Paying a membership fee (typically only $25) to join the local GOP organization will go a long way toward gaining credibility within that organization.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. It is exactly the kind of animosity you describe that I'd like to avoid, if for no other reason than that it would be counterproductive to our ends.