PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in here like to workout??

derdy
11-09-2007, 11:43 PM
This isn't a random non-Ron Paul question. This is an effort to bring some of our gym-goers to a particular fitness program on the Internet that is heavily used by law enforcement and the military. I've so far converted a Marine. Never heard of Ron Paul until now.

Here's the thing though, you'll have to participate in the program and post regularly there because the community will call you out otherwise (or remove your posts). So let me know if you're interested.

Peace
Denny

brandon
11-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I used to lift 3x a week. I Have become lazy in the last 6 months and my muscles have atrophied. I would like to start up again. What is your website?

NinjaPirate
11-09-2007, 11:48 PM
my tubby ass needs to get into shape. :)

Copperhed51
11-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I've gotta get back to working out. More info?

derdy
11-09-2007, 11:49 PM
www.crossfit.com

Their mascot is 'Pukie' because their workouts induce vomitting (no joke, I almost ralphed 3 seperate times so far in the gym) :eek:

I've been working out since the 15 years. Once I found this program, I plan on NEVER going back to what I did before.

There is a large base of law-enforcement and military in the Crossfit community. We need to bring them over to the Ron Paul grassroots community!!

Oh

wgadget
11-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, every now and then I get up and go make a cappucino or something...

Akus
11-09-2007, 11:52 PM
My front desk people at my gym alread know of Ron Paul.

Thanks to me.

derdy
11-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Here's an example of one of the workouts that almost made me throw up and note, it took me 16 minutes to do this. It took this guy 2:19

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/AFT_FRAN.MOV

noxagol
11-09-2007, 11:53 PM
I started to do the Marines daily 16 the other day.

noxagol
11-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Here's an example of one of the workouts that almost made me throw up and note, it took me 16 minutes to do this. It took this guy 2:19

fuck me, maybe when i was in football lol.

hopeforamerica
11-09-2007, 11:59 PM

OMG!!! I threw my back out just watching that!

son of liberty
11-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Marine Corps workouts are a joke (at least in my platoon) The built guys always did their own thing. We had guys that were excused from our physical training programs because it would have messed up their own thing! As for me, I stopped running when my ipod broke. Can't run without music.

noxagol
11-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Marine Corps workouts are a joke (at least in my platoon) The built guys always did their own thing. We had guys that were excused from our physical training programs because it would have messed up their own thing! As for me, I stopped running when my ipod broke. Can't run without music.

It is better than doing nothing, and I have extremely limited workout equipment.

derdy
11-10-2007, 12:24 AM

Did you see the video I posted?

Kandilynn
11-10-2007, 12:33 AM
WT????

Wow. Never in a million years could I imagine doing anything like that.

The camera guy had to tell the other guy to breathe.

NinjaPirate
11-10-2007, 01:34 AM

Holy crap, that's insane!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

noxagol
11-10-2007, 10:05 AM
WT????

Wow. Never in a million years could I imagine doing anything like that.

The camera guy had to tell the other guy to breathe.

Yeah, when I workout I forget to do simple things like that. Working out takes a lot mental strength as well as physical.

RTsquared
11-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't like to work out, but I REALLY need to start...

Of course, I should probably start with something a little less insane than this. Heck, I should probably end with something a little less insane than this - unless I wanna wind up in a pine box on a slow train to Georgia prematurely, that is.

derdy
11-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't like to work out, but I REALLY need to start...

Of course, I should probably start with something a little less insane than this. Heck, I should probably end with something a little less insane than this - unless I wanna wind up in a pine box on a slow train to Georgia prematurely, that is.

The best part about Crossfit is that what you see in that video is the ends of the program! I started a month ago and, truth be told, when I did that workout it took me 16 minutes and I almost threw up. Also, I don't use the weights they recommend on the website yet, and I've been working out for 15 years!

You guys really need to try it! They give you a free workout everyday and you can reduce the weight for your fitness level.

I was spending about 2 hours in the gym after I got off of work, got home about 1:30am. Now I warm up and do the workout of the day, which is at most 40 minutes (very seldomly).

It's a brotherhood ya'll!

The reason I wanted to bring some Ron supporters over is because on 'Rest Days' coach will post an article and we're supposed to post our thoughts in the comment section.

On my FIRST rest day they posted an article from the American Enterprise Institute by Micheal Ledeeen: the godfather of neo-conservatism!!!

Needless to say, there were some people saying, "This is the fight of our life: Islamofascism or freedom!" :rolleyes:

So, I have been engaging in debate over there and many people, due to MSM blackout, don't even know what a neo-con is.

I'm changing that though :D

RTsquared
11-10-2007, 10:35 AM
The best part about Crossfit is that what you see in that video is the ends of the program! I started a month ago and, truth be told, when I did that workout it took me 16 minutes and I almost threw up. Also, I don't use the weights they recommend on the website yet, and I've been working out for 15 years!

You guys really need to try it! They give you a free workout everyday and you can reduce the weight for your fitness level.

Yeah...it looks interesting, and when I'm at a higher fitness level, I might give it a shot...

But we're coming from slightly different perspectives here...on 8/17/07 I weighed 359 lbs - and it wasn't an offensive lineman's 359 lbs. Through the miracle of bariatric surgery, I'm down to 298 or so today, and will keep losing weight for a while. So when I say something like that might kill me, I'm NOT KIDDING! :eek:

noxagol
11-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey derdy, so whats the best workout? Like in the mornings or late at night? Swimming I hear worksout everything should people try that out? or stick to the treadmill and weights?

Swimming is good for aerobic exercise, but it doesn't help bone strength since they are not stressed very much.

Exercise builds your body up because you break it apart and the body rebuilds itself stronger than before. Though, you don't want to be TOO rough, otherwise you cause injury which is bad. A good diet is just as important so your body has the materials to rebuild in time for the next work out. When I played football, in the off season we would lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and run on Tuesday and Thursday. The break between lifts is important to give your body time to recoup. If you lift everyday, you body never gets a good chance to rebuild.

derdy
11-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Crossfit is the best workout I've found in 15 years and it's free!

As far as to when to workout, that's a matter of personal preference. Working out soon after waking up does the body good. however, I'm a night owl, but I'll change it up once every 6 months and switch to about an hour after I wake up

I HIGHLY recommend Crossfit. It's like crack and you compete against yourself!!

What is Crossfit?
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

derdy
11-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah...it looks interesting, and when I'm at a higher fitness level, I might give it a shot...

But we're coming from slightly different perspectives here...on 8/17/07 I weighed 359 lbs - and it wasn't an offensive lineman's 359 lbs. Through the miracle of bariatric surgery, I'm down to 298 or so today, and will keep losing weight for a while. So when I say something like that might kill me, I'm NOT KIDDING! :eek:

I hear ya, i'm 6'2" 252#'s and considered myself in decent shape. Crossfit has made me think otherwise.

noxagol
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Start small. Change your diet and work out a little. Could be a 5 minute jog or 10 minute walk. Once that feels easy, go up to 10minute jog or a 20 minute walk.

Also change your diet gradually too. Cut out a snack here or there, use a little less butter on something, eat a little less fried foods, eat more greens and lean meat. Gradual change is a lot easier to do than abrupt, for you and your body. The idea is to change your eating and activity habits, not lose weight. Changing your habits will cause the weight loss and you won't be tempted to go back when you do. I find a lot of people who goal is to just lose weight often gain it back because they go back to their old ways.

noxagol
11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Crossfit is the best workout I've found in 15 years and it's free!

As far as to when to workout, that's a matter of personal preference. Working out soon after waking up does the body good. however, I'm a night owl, but I'll change it up once every 6 months and switch to about an hour after I wake up

I HIGHLY recommend Crossfit. It's like crack and you compete against yourself!!

What is Crossfit?
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

Do you just do the exercises they post on the main page?

derdy
11-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Do you just do the exercises they post on the main page?

Yes. That's it

Of course, the Crossfit warmup is as follows (the warmup is a workout unto itself):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General7

If you start doing this and post over there, let me know.

I'm derdy_STL

derdy
11-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Start small. Change your diet and work out a little. Could be a 5 minute jog or 10 minute walk. Once that feels easy, go up to 10minute jog or a 20 minute walk.

Also change your diet gradually too. Cut out a snack here or there, use a little less butter on something, eat a little less fried foods, eat more greens and lean meat. Gradual change is a lot easier to do than abrupt, for you and your body. The idea is to change your eating and activity habits, not lose weight. Changing your habits will cause the weight loss and you won't be tempted to go back when you do. I find a lot of people who goal is to just lose weight often gain it back because they go back to their old ways.

Touche!

You are what you eat! Eating healthy at all times (except on seldom occassion) is essential to a healthy individual!

Don't focus on losing weight, focus on losing fat. The scale is not a good measure of your fitness. I was down to 228lbs last June from 250lbs in January after months of a strict diet and a rigid workout regiment. Now I'm 252 and have less body fat then I did when I was @ 250!

btw, i got up to 250 after taking about 1 year off from the gym so I could go to school and further my education.

here's what I used to do for fun:
http://b5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00611/57/82/611462875_l.jpg

Seeing that pic on my digital camera after it was taken was AWESOME! I was like, "Wow! I can do THAT!?"

isufferfromronpaulfever
11-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I workout about 5x x 1hr a week. Every person has a different goal in mind so you really can't criticize anybodies routines and goals. It's different for everybody.

In regards to that video, I'm not really overly impressed. The workout is definitely definitely definitely not easy... the pull-up form he uses was pretty bad though. When you swing/bounce like that, you get a lot of leverage... it makes doing a pull-up 2x easier then if it was concentrated on the lats. I understand it was timed but it should also be done correctly. OP, do you agree?

There is a program called the 300 workout, it is a 300 repetition workout of various exercises (pull ups, push ups, deadlifts, stepups, cleans, etc) that are based on the time it takes to finish. I believe the actors for the movie 300 were subject to this regime. You should check out. :)

derdy
11-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I workout about 5x x 1hr a week. Every person has a different goal in mind so you really can't criticize anybodies routines and goals. It's different for everybody.

In regards to that video, I'm not really overly impressed. The workout is definitely definitely definitely not easy... the pull-up form he uses was pretty bad though. When you swing/bounce like that, you get a lot of leverage... it makes doing a pull-up 2x easier then if it was concentrated on the lats. I understand it was timed but it should also be done correctly. OP, do you agree?

There is a program called the 300 workout, it is a 300 repetition workout of various exercises (pull ups, push ups, deadlifts, stepups, cleans, etc) that are based on the time it takes to finish. I believe the actors for the movie 300 were subject to this regime. You should check out. :)

In regards to 300, THIS is the workout they used to ascertain their fitness level from my understanding.

In regards to the kipping-pullup, what you referred to as ' swing/bounce ', is explained here:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_Kipping1-Concept.wmv

There's a whole science behind this and law-enforcement, military, and 15 gym goer veterans (that's me) wouldn't use Crossfit if it wasn't the shit ;)

Trassin
11-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I might have to look into crossfit. At the moment shift work, 12 hour work days, and the campaign have killed most of my effort at working out.

Dan Klaus
11-10-2007, 11:07 AM
cool...thanks for the info and links...

RTsquared
11-10-2007, 11:12 AM

There ain't no such thing as a gradual diet change with bariatric surgery.

At this point it's virtually impossible for me to eat veggies because of the size of my stomach and my body's protein needs. For example, it takes me, on average, 1.5 to 2 hours to finish a 3 oz. protein bar in the morning. Lunch is either several bites of leftovers from the previous evening's meal or something small I can grab from a fast-food joint...high in protein, of course. Dinner is something meat-intensive, preferably something that reheats well.

The doctors want me to get 60-80g of protein in a day. I often find it hard to get the other 30g after eating a protein bar for breakfast. I don't eat much in the way of fried foods (last time I tried to eat more than a bite of fried food at a time, I vomited for two days). I'm diabetic, so I very rarely eat anything sweet. I haven't had a caffeinated drink in almost 4 months. I haven't had a soft drink in over 3 months, and probably will never be able to have one again - same with beer (carbonation + tiny stomach pouch = bad combo).

Of course, I can't knock the results. 60 lbs. in 10 weeks (give or take) is nothing to sneeze at. In addition, I save probably $300/month on food alone, not to mention taking fewer prescriptions. However, the price is that I can NEVER go back to what I was doing before.

RP4ME
11-10-2007, 11:20 AM

I find that when I juice raw veggies - collrds, beets cabbage, cilantro lemon etc...My body HATES any junk! Like cookies etc...it gives you thsi clean feeling inside and your body wont allow for anything butthe best - its amazing.....and its delish if you add a whole lemon

RP4ME
11-10-2007, 11:22 AM
do you find Cross fit hard to do without a trainer or spotter??

derdy
11-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I find that when I juice raw veggies - collrds, beets cabbage, cilantro lemon etc...My body HATES any junk! Like cookies etc...it gives you thsi clean feeling inside and your body wont allow for anything butthe best - its amazing.....and its delish if you add a whole lemon

I have the same problem. Since I eat healthy, my stomach CANNOT tolerate impurities!!!

I've eaten fast food 6 times in the last year.

derdy
11-10-2007, 11:25 AM
do you find Cross fit hard to do without a trainer or spotter??

In some cases yes, in others no. Just depends on the WOD (workout of the day). I go to a gym and I can ask for a spotter there. They also tell you how to build a home gym

Here's a link to their FAQ:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html