PDA

View Full Version : Ron's big hurdle.

plandr
01-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Been listening to the audio book "Words that work" by Frank Luntz (know thine enemy), and it has suddenly become clear to me why Ron can't gain national traction:

If a message is repeated simply, and consistently enough in the minds of those that hear it then it becomes a truth.

Let me repeat that:

If a message is repeated simply, and consistently enough in the minds of those that hear it then it becomes a truth.

^^ The media keeps saying that Ron Paul is unelectable and has a "ceiling" of support that prevents him from winning.

As such, the only way to break that perception is that we have to win somewhere.

If not, the simple, easy to understand message of "Ron is not electable" becomes so pervasive to the average voter that it puts a real ceiling on our support.

There are some problems with our message (it's too professorial when coming from Ron in debates which turns average voters off), but the more important and meaningful issue is that even people who believe in Ron's message (soft supporters) often feel they are wasting their vote if they support him.

I know this is obvious (that we have to win somewhere), but I say it to say that 2nd, 3rd, 4th or last... until we win a caucus or primary we won't break 25% or so anywhere.

I love Ron (have donated $1,300 to his campaign), but I do it knowing that until we can figure out a way to win a state that this process is more a means of keeping his message alive than it is an exercise in him winning the presidency.

Razmear
01-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Nevada is our best hope of an early win.
NH has a slight chance if all the Romney voters assume their candidate is a shoe in and don't bother to show.
SC is unfortunately a lost cause, as is Florida.

StilesBC
01-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Ron Paul has been elected 12 times.

plandr
01-09-2012, 02:22 AM

This is a good message, and I like that the campaign is running with it. Now let's win a state and make it part of the national vernacular.

NH has a slight chance if all the Romney voters assume their candidate is a shoe in and don't bother to show.

Yeah.

I'm with Ron to the end (will probably max on donations before the convention), but as much as I hope he wins it all my great long term hope is that Rand (or someone like him) is the real deal and can be an even better messenger than his father in 2016. By trade I'm someone that looks at things from a long term/end game perspective and I believe in our message. We just have to figure out a way to communicate it effectively (i.e. Ron at the last debate being right on Iran but allowing Bachman to shape the narrative that he's weak on foreign policy hurt us in Iowa).

The better Ron does this time around (win or lose) the better chance the message has going forward.

I don't mean for this post to come off badly at all.

Keep moving forward everyone. The light is at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't matter if it's always bright.

PauliticsPolitics
01-09-2012, 02:24 AM

Yes, we must get a 2nd or super close 3rd in NH.
We must get something not too embarrassing in SC & FL.
Then February we have to take it up a notch in the narrowed field.
The next 4 are all caucuses and we MUST clean up (incl. some firsts!):
Nevada, Maine, Colorado, Minnesota
We have a good shot at those early four states.

NEPatriot
01-09-2012, 02:28 AM
It's almost amusing how the other western powers adopted so much from Nazi Germany after the end of WWII, often word for word.

plandr
01-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Yes, we must get a 2nd or super close 3rd in NH.
We must get something not too embarrassing in SC & FL.
Then February we have to take it up a notch in the narrowed field.
The next 4 are all caucuses and we MUST clean up (incl. some firsts!):
Nevada, Maine, Colorado, Minnesota
We have a good shot at those early four states.

This is what I'm hoping. If we can win one of Nevada, Maine, Colorado, Minnesota (particularly one of the early ones before super Tuesday) we can change the narrative. Going into debates if we have a win somewhere and can show we are close in delegates this thing becomes possible, which is all I've ever wanted. I don't care about the money or even how much of the policy gets implemented. What I want is for us to change the dialogue and get people educated.

If people know what's going on that is the most effective thing we can do as far as educating this country.

plandr
01-09-2012, 02:30 AM
It's almost amusing how the other western powers adopted so much from Nazi Germany after the end of WWII, often word for word.

Tell me more.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-09-2012, 02:32 AM
We just say the opposite. On twitter I remind people every day Ron Paul is the only candidate who can beat Obama. Freedom of speech, yo.

sratiug
01-09-2012, 02:39 AM

Ron Paul won 80% of the vote in his last election, the highest percentage for any Republican in Congress.
Ron Paul won 80% of the vote in his last election, the highest percentage for any Republican in Congress.

Santorum lost his re-election bid by 18%, AS AN INCUMBANT!

coffeewithgames
01-09-2012, 02:43 AM
I did a video on this, about the "repetition" idea and RP in the media a few months back...included some quotes about propaganda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkrjU9dqdMA

scrosnoe
01-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Finally we are having the real conversation. Now we can get about finding the solution. It is wrapped up in perception, but grounded in reality. It takes real work and real infrastructure to sustain an ongoing operation. We are getting there, but can we make it stick and press on in a sustained fashion? We don't have enough of our own candidates recruited and running for office yet. That would help, because then they would be running for office AND promoting Ron Paul AND the message at the same time. That is a win win win situation and builds the party and gets the people in office that can support a Ron Paul presidency!

John F Kennedy III
01-09-2012, 03:21 AM
We must win a state before super tuesday.

LandonCook
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
This needs to be talked about more. Bump

LandonCook
01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
This needs to be talked about more. Bump

Bump